Whirlpool Freezer side-by-side not freezing

Old 11-03-05, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Freezer side-by-side not freezing

I swear I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool fridge !

Model ED25PEXHB00 side-by-side manufactured 2000. Last year the fridge side started OVERcooling and I had frozen eggs. We were for a change pretty flush at the time and I actually paid someone to come out and fix the darn thing. As I suspected (and told the guy) it was the thermostat. I was not impressed with his expertise in fixing it though. I know at one point I cruised through after he was presumably buttoning everything back up to find that he had everything apart again . And I paid $200 for this technological efficiency.

NOW the FREEZER is NOT freezing. It SEEMS like the fridge side is cooling, but maybe it just hasn't cooled down that much yet. And I can HEAR the thermostat clicking on and off repeatedly. I gave it a good whack hoping it was just stuck but that hasn't helped matters any (strange, it always works on the vending machines.)

Fortunately it's the end of the pay-period and the fridge/freezer was almost empty and we also very fortuitously have a "spare" fridge that a friend recently gave us now plugged in out in the utility room (originally destined for a kegerator, but that's another story . )

Can I fix this thing myself? How difficult is this? I'm the more "detail" oriented of the household, and handle things like simple house wiring, all carpentry and most do-it-yourself projects. Hubby handles engine maintenance on the cars and motorcycles and plumbing tasks but is not so good with anything electrical.

Thanks!

Last edited by diylady; 11-03-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-03-05, 04:40 PM
G
If the clicks are about 4 minutes apart (maybe 10) coming from the compressor motor.
That big round black thing located down behind the frig.
it maybe the motor over load clicking.

If it is, the over load may be bad or something in the sealed system.
check your warranty on sealed system most are 5 years.

Find out exactly where the clicking is coming from. Post back with the location.

Old 11-03-05, 04:56 PM
Dang I love you guys!

Bingo! It does indeed seem to be coming from the back and it is still in warranty for the sealed system as it was delivered in March of '01! I hate that it's apparently gone out, but great that I'm apparently not going to be out of pocket for it. I just assumed (we all know what they say about 'assume' ) it was coming from the thermostat and didn't really try to pinpoint the clicking.

THANK YOU !!!

Old 11-03-05, 06:28 PM
G
Assuming the clicking is coming from the motor overload.

Slow down.
The warranty may only cover parts, not the labor. take a second look.
The sealed system is considered everything that seals/contains the freon/gas.

If the overload is bad or the motor capacitor, maybe a loose wire in the over load box mounted on the motor.
that may not be considered part of the sealed system.

Look at the drawing in the link.
The item numbers listed may also create the problem your having, and may not be covered by your warranty.

#17 Capacitor. CAUTION, they sometimes hold a charge even if the fridge is unplugged.

Something in the sealed system.

Or a loose connection/wire to any of the items.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrame...erator&Mark=11

Check your local appliance parts store for pricing. some may cut the price by a lot.

Old 11-03-05, 06:40 PM
Definitely something to do with the condenser, we took the back off, cleaned everything we could reach, and plugged it in. The condenser is very hot, probably from constantly trying to cycle I s'pose. I did take another look at the warranty, labor for the "sealed system" is included. But you're right, I'd be willing to bet it's one of those little "auxiliary" parts as it were.

The husband figure is going to take another look at it tomorrow taking your recommendations into account. I've handed this one off to him .

I'll let y'all know the results.

Old 11-03-05, 06:55 PM
G
If the condenser is hot then the pump is working and no longer clicking ?
That's a different problem.
Look to see if the condenser fan is working.

Maybe a defrost problem now. if the fan is working.

Old 01-16-06, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry, I meant to update this . Finally just decided we didn't want to mess with it. It was the relay, the serviceman (very nice and professional) replaced it with a heavy duty one, and that should be the last bit of trouble we have out of it for some time to come (I hope!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: