Kitchenaid Microwave shut down

Old 11-06-05, 08:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kitchenaid Microwave shut down

Hi, While heating up a cup of coffee the other day, My Kitchenaid microwave combo Model # KEMS306BBL 1, shut off. The contol panal is completely out as well as the light in side the microwave. The oven still works. I replaced the three door microswitches, then I found a large fuse blown.(250V, 20A) and replaced it. The unit powered back up, but when I tried to cook something, it blew the fuse again. Looking for any suggestions................thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 10:24 AM
Was your replacement fuse the exact same as the one that came out of it? ie: ceramic, slow blow fuse?

Old 11-06-05, 10:41 AM
Fuse

There doesn't appear to be any info on the fuse. The original is an Eagle, red in color, the catalog number is difficult to read, but it looks like 666 or 555, difficult to tell the difference between 5's and 6's.
The new one is a Buss non-20amp, green in color.

Old 11-20-05, 01:37 PM
Microwave - need more ideas

I've replaced both 20A fuses, replaced the door micro-switches, replaced the rectify (attached to the capacitor), had the capacitor and magnotron checked my an electrician which were found to be good. Plugged everything back to gether again, and I blew one of the fuses.

Bill

Old 11-20-05, 02:07 PM
I do not know if there is any way to "check" a magnetron. With all due respect to the electrician, only an appliance repair technician probably has the exertist to trouble shoot this.

Old 11-20-05, 03:46 PM
magnitron

The service manual told us how to check it.

Old 12-28-05, 01:11 AM
MicrowaveGuy
Visiting Guest
If the fuse blows right after you hit the start button, it is probably a shorted high voltage capacitor.

If the fuse blows a few seconds later, it's probably the high voltage transformer.

If neither is bad (and I bet one is) then it calls for more troubleshooting.

Some HV section notes:

The high voltage (HV) transformer itself usually smells or buzzes loudly when it fails, and the fuse may blow a short time after it starts. There may be discoloration on the outside of some of the windings.

The HV capacitor usually shorts when it fails, and that will blow the fuse as soon as you press the start button.

The HV rectifier diode usually shorts when it fails. It can open, too, but there is usually no extra noise when one fails.

I have never seen a magnetron fail by shorting, but I guess it's possible. Most of the time it just quits heating, and may or may not "gurgle" while running.

Last edited by mattison; 12-28-05 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-28-05, 02:51 PM
mw...

Yes I would agree with MW Guy, but also be sure you have the right kind of door switches(amperage & normal open or closed) and that they are wired correctly. I believe if your door switches are correct and you've replaced the main cartridge type fuse for the m/w then more than likely your problem will be the HV Capacitor. Now if you replace the HV capacitor and still having problems I'd say start at square one and retrace everything you've touched to be sure it's correct. Good luck..

Old 11-15-08, 11:05 AM
More problems

I made the repairs in Nov 2005 and it worked well. I replaced the rectifyer, two microswitches, and a fuse back then.
A few months ago I noticed that it was taking a little longer to cook things (popcorn). A few weeks ago the microwave stopped working. I replaced the magnatron and it made no difference. The fuses work and I checked all of the other major components with a multimeter and they are ok.
The "Touch Module Test" was ok
The "Low Voltage Door Switch Test" was ok.
The "Preprogrammed Test Cycle Test" was ok

The command touch Pad Test:
Clock Set button: Flashing colon OK
Start: S DISPLAYED Nothing
Temp. Reste Button: R Displayed Nothing
Cancel: Time of day OK

Any suggestions?

Bill