GE washer agitator doesn't work

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-12, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agitator is a push on. you need to pull it up to get it off. A lot of times it is very stuck on the bell part. The bell coupler is what wears out usually if everything else is working. There are splines in bell part that wear out and it slips on shaft. read other post in this forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-12, 08:14 AM
Have a GE washer, Model WDSR2080D, which has been in use for 6 years. Without warning the agitator no longer works and feels loose and wiggley on the shaft. The fill and spin cycles work so it does not appear to be a control problem. I suspect a broken gear, but would like Forum input. Is this an expensive problem to correct, should I buy a new washer or have it repaired? Any help is appreciated

Old 02-07-12, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
GE agitators have a coupler under agitator that wears out. need to take agitator out and take the coupler out and check to make sure the splines are good. Agitator pulls up and out may be stuck on coupler and be very hard to remove.

Old 01-09-13, 09:43 PM
Another broken GE washer...

I read some things to look for with my GE washer model wjsr4160g2ww since the agitator does not work. I just bought my house and the previous owner left the washer and dryer in the house. I was told that both worked fine. Well, when I go to use the washer, it fills just fine and then when its supposed to start washing all you hear is the timer in the control switch and nothing else. I don't hear anything from the motor and it does not agitate.

I took the agitator off and checked the plastic hub, all splines are in tact.
I took the bottom panel off and the belt is still in tact.
I spun the wheel on the bottom and the shaft moved, motor does not seem to be seized.
The tub will spin in either direction though when you do so by hand.
The rinse cycle will work, but the tub does not spin at all.

I'm thinking of jumpering out the lid switch. Anything else to look into?

Old 01-09-13, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
It's nothing to do with the lid switch.

If after the tub fills you hear the timer run it means the fill switch is ok as it's filling the tub with water and then transfering power to the timer circuit.

Two possible problems........bad timer....bad motor.

Electrical problem.....if it was mechanical the motor would still try to work.

Try gentle cycle....same thing ?

Old 01-10-13, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your washer has a shaft mode assy. for transmission. Lot of problems with those. In console there is usually a tech sheet that sometimes tells you how to reset timer (computer) Hope it is there as I have forgot how to do it. A lot of times that's all it will take, other times it could take shaft mode and possible motor. I think it has something with opening and closing lid several times but I just cant remember.

Old 01-11-13, 03:54 AM
I found the schematic paper that you were talking about in the back of the control panel, but unfortunately it does not have a "reset" how-to on it. I did a search on the internet and it said in order to reset/clear a fault code I had to unplug the machine for at least 20 seconds, then plug it back in and open and close the lid 5 or more times within the first 12 seconds of plugging the power back in/. Does that sound familiar at all?

So I then tried to run it through the cycles again, but it still does not spin/agitate. I'm going with a new motor. The place online has a 365 day return policy, so if I do replace the motor and that does not solve it, then I am just going to return the motor and junk this washer.

Old 01-11-13, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
More likely the shaft mode. but there was a period when both had to be changed. The reset sound like it.

Old 01-11-13, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
If you hear absolutely nothing from below then I stick by my original diagnosis......timer or motor.

Old 01-16-13, 05:38 AM
Changed the motor out last night and that didn't solve the problem. Going to return the motor and pick up a new timer and try that. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 11-01-13, 08:19 AM
Same issue...

I'm having same issue, agitator not working, but spin cycle works fine. I have a GE Super Capacity, 14 Cycle Mod #WBSR3140DAWW. If the problem is the same, COUPLING AIR BELL, Diagram Ref #310, Part number WH49X10042, $12.50. Thanks SOOOOOO much for your postings!!

Closed Thread