GE washer agitator doesn't work

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-05, 05:34 PM
GE washer agitator doesn't work

Have a GE Super Capacity washer, Model WVSR1060A1WW, which has been in use for 5-6 years. Without warning the agitator no longer works and feels loose and wiggley on the shaft. The fill and spin cycles work so it does not appear to be a control problem. I suspect a broken gear, but would like Forum input. Is this an expensive problem to correct, i.e. should I buy a new washer or have it repaired? Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 06:18 PM
GE agitator

The problem is located under your agitator. Its called a Air Bell Coupling & the agitator sits on this. The coupling has teeth that match the tranny teeth. The coupling's plastic teeth are stripped & the tranny no longer turns the agitator. Grap ahold of the bottom of the agitator & yank it straight up. Sometimes they are pretty hard to budge loose. Once you get the agitator off you will see the coupling that it was sitting on. Take the bolt off the coupling & take off of the tranny shaft. You will see the teeth stripped off inside. Part # of the coupling is WH43x137. Dave

Old 11-11-05, 07:17 PM
Talking Thanks

Possibly the best response I ever received on this Forum. Everything went exactly as you said. Machine is now operating like new. Thanks.

Jeff

Old 11-17-05, 05:31 PM
Hey guys i seem to be having the same problem, but it looks as though the stripped part is stuck up in the top of the agitator. Any ideas on how to get that out?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-17-05, 05:47 PM
Stripped part

Depends on the make of your washer. Is it a GE? Other style washers are different. Dave

Old 11-17-05, 06:15 PM
It's a GE. There seems to be two rubber bushings on the top of the shaft, the lower of which i can't remove. I used a screwdriver to clean the splines on the transmission shaft and put the agitator back on and it seems about 80% better.

Old 11-17-05, 06:46 PM
Well somehow it was working before, but after cleaning the agitator with some household cleaner, it doesn't seem to be catching anymore. It looks as though the splines inside the agitator are stripped or badly corroded. Maybe both at this point.

Old 11-18-05, 03:19 PM
GE Washer

OK Steve. I know what you're talking about now. Your washer is the older style with the tall transmission shaft. Inside the agitator, at the top is another part called an agitator coupling. If you're lucky, which it sounds like you're not, that coupling stays on the top of the transmission when you pull the agitator off. Otherwise, it is stuck inside the agitator & is a real bugger to get out. If the teeth are stripped on the coupling, you have to get it out & replaced. Now comes the fun part. GE makes a special puller just for that but you'll probably only use it once in your life & its not worth the price. Newer GE washers don't use that set-up now. What I usually end up doing is getting my razor box cutter out & cutting the very top of the agitator off right at the top edge. I then punch the coupling down through the agitator top untill it falls out. When you get the new coupling, place it on the top of the tranny & push the agitator back on till it bottoms out on the coupling. Glue the top back on. Depending on how many teeth your coupling has, the part # is WH1x1944 (20 teeth) or WH1x2641 (9 teeth). Dave

Old 11-18-05, 04:49 PM
Thanks Dave. That looks to be the case. I did tap on the coupling from the top a bit already, but it didn't budge. I'll give it a go tonight.

Old 11-28-05, 03:51 PM
HOP
Visiting Guest
Dave, I Posted The Same Problem Today,but After I Found Your Advice, I Try That And It Worked.
Thanks A Heap,hop.

Old 11-28-05, 04:15 PM
GE Washer

Glad I could help. Dave

Old 06-06-07, 09:12 PM
Angry Agitator Wiggelly And Not Agitating

I HAVE A GE MODEL WBXR2060V1WW TOP LOAD WASHER. THE AGIATATER IS VERY WIGGLELLY AND NOT AGIATING. I AM TRYING TO REMOVE THE AGITATER WITH NO LUCK. i AM AFRAID TO TRY AND PRY IT OFF. I WAS HOPING IT SCREW OFF BUT THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE CASE. HOW DO I REMOVE THE AGITATER WITH OUT BREAKING THE WASHER.

Old 06-07-07, 06:47 PM
GE agitator

Grab it at the bottom & yank straight up. Sometimes you really have to use force but its the only way to remove. Newer style GE's have a plastic hub that the agitator sits on & the teeth wear off. Remove bolt to take hub off & replace. Older GE's have the longer tranny stem going up into the agitator with a slined hub as stated in these previous posts.

Old 08-16-07, 05:25 PM
please help

i have this same washer and it will not go to spin cycle --it will start but shuts off after 10 seconds.the motor will run in wash cycle and everything else works fine --except the pump --i found that in the rinse cycle the pump does not pump out the water even though i can hear the clicks of the timer to tell it to do that --so maybe the pump is bad --but is there a relay switch that may be bad also --i checked the pump and it has nothing blocking it
please advise
tim

Old 04-04-08, 05:58 PM
Thank you so much!

I have the S1070A1WW model. When the agitator quit agitating, I found two links with suggestion and pictures on how to pull out the agitator. One link suggested tide a rope to the mid section of the agitator and another to the bottom of blades. I got myself ready with rope and a long 4x2. But I was worry that the thin blades would break so I started to look more closely where to tide the rope. I notice there are four holes in the agitator. While attempting to stick a screw driver in those holes to get a stronger part to pull. I removed the cap and found out the screw driver can't go through two holes. So I just stuck the screw driver in the hole. I put a wood to jam between the basket and the housing of the washer. It was to my surprise that in two attempts, one on each opposite hole and the agitator pulled right out rather easily.

Thanks again Dave!

ps. the coupling air bell p/n for my model is WH49x10042.

Old 07-16-10, 04:18 AM
Coupling stuck

I have a GE Hotpoint WLW2500BNL washer. It is one of the old style GE models with the agitator coupling. The rubber part of the coupling disconnected from the metal part and started slipping. When I removed the agitator, the coupling stayed on the shaft and is stuck very firmly. Any advice on how to remove it? I can't seem to get a grip on it with anything anywhere. Thanks!

Old 07-17-10, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't place what part you are talking about, Part of agitator or on the shaft? here is a break down of your washer
http://beta.searspartsdirect.com/par...Mod=WLW2500BNL
If part of agitator I would replace the whole thing. If on the shaft you might be able to split it with a dremel cutter

Old 12-12-10, 02:26 PM
Same issue with the spline stuck to the drive arm.

Hi. I also have an older GE washer and was able to remove the agitator, however the spline didn't come off with the agitator; it remained stuck on the drive arm and is stuck there quite firmly. I've tried banging it upward from the bottom with a hammer, but it won't budge. Any suggestions? I also tried cutting into it with a Dremel tool, but was afraid of cutting too deep and damaging the arm underneath.... Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Old 12-13-10, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
after you have split it (can go fairly deep) use a hammer and chisel to break it. I would have new part there so you can see what you are breaking.

Old 03-14-11, 01:20 PM
GE Washer

I have read the posts about agitators not working and have the same problem but have another question. I have removed the agitator and inspected it and it does not appear to be stripped where it connects to the spline. I was told there are 2 clutches one for the agitator and one for the spin cycle and perhaps the clutch for the agitator is gone. I noticed during the spin cycle the cycle engages briefly 3 times before completely running is this normal or possibly both clutches are gone?

Old 03-14-11, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
post model # and how old is washer

Old 03-14-11, 04:29 PM
GE washer

The older Whirlpools had the 2 solenoids for spin & agitate cycles. GE does not.
It is normal on spin cycle for tub to spin & stop a few times untill most of the water gets pumped out & continues. When you pulled agitator off, does your washer have the tall transmission shaft (older style) or short shaft with plastic hub mounted on top? Dave

Old 03-15-11, 09:54 AM
GE Washer

Model #GUSR2100TBWW. I believe the machine is about 8 years old. It has the shorter shaft with the plastic coupling on top.

Old 03-15-11, 12:18 PM
GE Washer

Did you take coupling off & inspect the inside for teeth wear?

Old 03-15-11, 04:17 PM
GE Washer

Yes I took off the plastic coupling and checked for wear. I ran the washer without the coupling on and the shaft coming from the transmission does not turn just barely wiggles. I looked underneath and the belt is driving both pulleys???

Old 03-15-11, 05:56 PM
Not good. Sounds like something bad in transmission.

Old 03-16-11, 07:46 AM
GE Washer

Dave thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I think your right. I'll either look into replacing the transmission or buying a new machine. I looked on the link to Sears parts web site and it keeps telling me my model does not exist. Sears has a Kenmore front loader made by Samsung on sale right now and I know the wife would really like a new machine although I was hoping to be able to fix the old one. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-11, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at LG have almost no problems with them. Kenmore has one made by LG same washer looks different Have to ask salesperson to know which one they are.

Old 05-15-11, 04:07 PM
same problem

The teeth in my coupling are fine, however the agitator seems to go down to far, and does not catch the teeth. Any suggestions? I can hold the agitator up slightly and it catches on the teeth.

GE Model WCSR2090DAWN

Old 05-16-11, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take off agitator and then the plastic part agitator sits on and see it the teeth inside are worn out, If not than you need a transmission.

Old 08-20-11, 10:10 AM
gbaker73

I have the same issue, with the bell stripped out, and am wondering if the top half of the agitator is supposed to free-spin, or does it also need replaced.

Old 08-20-11, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most agitators spin free in one direction and not in the other

Old 08-20-11, 05:40 PM
gbaker73

but mine does not seem to come apart in the middle, and nit free spins both directions. is there a way to take it appart, or does it need replaced also?

Old 08-21-11, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
GE agitators don't come apart , they need to be replaced

Old 08-21-11, 07:12 AM
gbaker73

Thanks, I'll order the new part.

Old 08-24-11, 04:03 PM
GE washer model s3600d0ww Agitator not turning...

I have a GE washer that just went bad. The washer goes through the whole cycle but does not agitate. I removed the agitator and coupling which left the transmission shaft exposed. It began to agitate for a bit then it would stop...the machine makes like a buzzing sound. What might it be? Please help! Thanks!

Old 08-25-11, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Need model # Newer GE have a drive tube (transmission) that is often the problem.

Old 09-04-11, 03:33 PM
Dave,
yous seem to have some very good info. I cannot get the Air Bell coupling off. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Karen

Old 09-05-11, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Read back several treads info there.

Old 01-09-12, 07:30 AM
good morning,

I have a really old GE clothes washer (7 cycle Heavy duty extra large capacity) Model wcxr1070t8aa, Serial TS115786G. I have read all the posted and since mine is such an old model and i dont have the manual, i am not really sure if my issue is also the agitator. spin, rinse and water feel does work but it will not wash. if is the agitator, any quick stips on how to take it apart.

thank you very much,

Closed Thread