Whirlpool ice dispenser not working

Old 11-10-05, 06:24 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool ice dispenser not working

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator, and the ice dispenser has suddenly lost its ability to dispense whole ice cubes. It will only dispense crushed cubes. The icemaker is still making ice -- I just can't get the dispenser to stop crushing the ice. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

Old 11-10-05, 07:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
look in the freezer and up in where the ice comes out to be crushed. Is the any ice[heavy frost] build up? Does the flap in the door shut after the ice stops coming out?

Old 11-10-05, 08:03 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Funny you should mention that. Just this morning I had to clear a bunch of frosty ice off of the top of the shute because it was interfering with the opening/closing of the freezer. Also, the flap does not seem to be closing properly either. When I jiggle it, it almost feels like a spring is busted or something. It sounds like you're aware of what the problem might be? Please help.

Old 11-10-05, 09:11 AM
J
there maybe ice build up inside the door interfering with the mechanism that closes the flap. The ice build up is from humid air getting in and freezing. You need to get into the door part and see what you got. Put your model # in at www.partselect.com or www3.sears.com and navigate to an image of your freezer door. I could have done that for you, but you didn't give a model #. I reallly don't know which icemaker you have,but this is a problem I am aware of with some. It may not be your problem, but see anyway.

Get back if you run into a problem

Old 11-10-05, 09:33 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I will do that when I get home from work. Do you think this is what is causing the dispenser to dispense only crushed ice?

Thanks

Old 11-10-05, 10:12 AM
J
Given the symptoms and the ice prob this morning it is likely. The freezer door seal has to seal good too though.

Old 11-14-05, 10:55 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
I was able to repair the dispenser flap over the weekend (the spring mechanism was dislodged). Anyway, I am still unable to get cubed ice -- only crushed. What could be causing this?? I checked everything I know to check. The solenoid in the back of the freezer is raising up when the dispenser is depressed and in the "cubed" position. It moves the rod that extends along the bottom of the ice bucket and taps a plastic mechanism on the front of the bucket. However, the blades still move and crush the ice. What can be done to keep the ice from being crushed??

Thanks

Old 11-14-05, 11:20 AM
J
Maybe take the bin out and run water through ithe front where the ice comes out. Could be piece of ice in there still preventing movement.

Old 11-14-05, 11:40 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Worth a shot! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 11-15-05, 10:20 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Well, I took the bucket out and examined it once again and there is nothing in there. I ran water through it and even took it all apart just to be sure. I verified my model number, it's ED25RFXFB00. Hopefully someone knows why I'm not getting cubed ice. Please help! Thanks!

Old 11-15-05, 02:43 PM
D
Ice dispenser

On your ice bin there should be a metal arm that runs along the side. This arm moves the cutting blades that make crushed ice. Sometimes the blades get stuck due to ice build-up. There should be a square aluminum foil cover that is over the cavity where the blades are. Peel the foil off & run hot water over the cutting blades untill you can move that arm back & forth that engages the blades. Dave

Old 11-16-05, 07:31 AM
macfisto
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dave. From what I can see, it's the metal conveyor (auger) that moves the ice-crushing blades, not the control arm. Are you saying the it's the job of the control arm to move the blades out of the way when "cubed" ice is selected? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't see the aluminum foil cover that you refer to. There is a white plastic "ice deflector" that surrounds the blades, and the control arm contacts this deflector but doesn't appear to move the blades. I have run hot water through all of this to no avail. Thanks for your help - Rob.

Old 11-16-05, 04:50 PM
D
Ice dispenser

From what I remember on another Whirlpool I worked on awhile ago, the problem was the opposite. No crushed ice, only cubes. That arm I was refering to was jammed with ice & didn't move to engage the cutter blades.
Thawed it out & it moved freely then to give cubes or crushed ice. It could be that yours is a different set-up. Really hard to tell without seeing it. Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: