Kenmore electric dryer runs then stops before finishing

Old 11-13-05, 03:44 PM
Cory
Visiting Guest
Kenmore electric dryer runs then stops before finishing

Hello. Thank you for this site. I just found it after my clothes dryer started malfunctioning.

Ok, here is the problem. I have a kenmore electric dryer model 110.66912690. I bought in in 1996. A few weeks ago it started stopping part way through the cycle. Then after around 1/2 to 1 hour I could restart it and it would do the same thing. I opened it up and cleaned all the lint out. I had just done this less than a year ago so it was not so bad. The problem continued so I replaced the thermostat and the thermal cut-off. The problem still continued so I tried running the unit in just the air dry mode to see if it was actually the thermal cut-off or not. Low and behold the dryer still stopped before the cycle ended and would not start again for the given time frame. I also checked the thermal cut-off and it ohms out when the dryer has stopped and won't restart. I also noticed a couple times that there has been a buzzing noise, especially when starting the unit. It sounds to me like the motor is acting/sounding strange.

I am wondering if there is a thermal cut-off on the motor that I can replace or if I need to replace the motor. Right before I can restart the dryer I hear a click and then I can restart it. I also am not sure which terminals on the motor to check to see if it is receiving the proper voltage. Oh, and I did everything possible to clean lint off of and away from the motor. It was not easy to see or get to, but I got my hands and vacuum hose in there as best I could.

Also, if it is the motor, is there any recommended maintenance that I should do. I figure if I have the drum off I may as well do anything else that could be done.

Thank you so much,
Cory

Last edited by Cory; 11-13-05 at 03:45 PM. Reason: notification
Old 11-13-05, 07:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore dryer

Yes, there is a thermal cut-off on your dryer motor. It won't do any good to replace it though. Your motor is over-heating due to the bearings seizing up.
Only remedy is motor replacement. Part # is 279787 available @ sears.com
Listed price-$114.99. When replacing motor, remember that the blower wheel side of the motor is reverse thread. Dave

Old 11-13-05, 07:28 PM
Cory
Visiting Guest
Thank you Dave,

I just wanted to be sure before I bought the motor and took the dryer apart. I had checked all that I was sure of checking. Like I said, I was not sure which terminals on the motor to check for the proper votage.

Now when I take the lint duct assembly off I can turn the blower wheel. I was wondering why, if the motor is seizing, I can still turn it? Does the motor seize as it gets hot after more use? Just wondering?

Oh, and is it normal for a motor to go out after around 12 years of use?

Thank you again,
Cory

Old 11-14-05, 05:04 AM
I think on a 12 year old drier a new one may be in order before spending that kind of money and time repairing it.

Old 11-14-05, 10:19 AM
Cory
Visiting Guest
Hello Mattison.

I did consider replacing the unit. However, to replace it would cost between 500 to 650.00 depending on sale prices. The unit itself is in great shape and was bought in 1996 so it is 10 years old on jan 1st. I am not a person familiar with dryer longevity so your advice may be worth a lot more than I realize. I guess I just did not want to throw the dryer out just yet. If I do replace the motor I am going to replace the belt, drive roller supports, and idler assembly. At least I can do some preventative maintenance to do what I can to help keep it running for a while.

If you have any other advice please let me know. I do appreciate your help.

Cory

Old 11-14-05, 01:36 PM
D
Kenmore dryer

Yes, the motor will seize up as it is running. The bearings get hot & slow it down causing the motor to overheat & shut off. I agree with you on replacing the motor & other normal wear parts when you have it apart. Other than the motor, the only other big expense thing to go bad would be the timer. Probably around $75.00 to replace. Motor-wise, check around. They used that style motor for many years & it should'nt be much more than $100-$125.
I'd say you got your money's worth with 12 years of use. Dave

Old 11-14-05, 02:47 PM
Cory
Visiting Guest
Thanks dave.

I found the motor at Point & Click appliance repair for 96.95 brand new. I also found the maintenance kit there that includes the belt, both rollers and the idler pulley for 22.95. That is why I am considering repairing the unit rather than buying a new one. If I can get away with putting in a new motor and the other parts for under 150.00 and get another 5-10 years of use out of the dryer I would be quite pleased. Granted, I might have to replace the heating element or possibly the timer, but that is a chance I may be willing to take rather than spending around 500.00 for a new machine. I figure I can wait to buy a new unit until my washer goes out. I have already had to replace some parts on the washer, but they were simple and did not cost much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: