Whirlpool Electric Range Door Locked

Old 12-01-05, 11:29 AM
Jerms
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool Electric Range Door Locked

Hello,

I'm new to this site and need some help with my Whirlpool electric range. My wife was using the auto clean feature on it over the weekend and about half way throught the cleaning cycle she decided the smell of it cleaning was too much for her and our baby so she pressed the off/cancel button to stop it and walked away. Much later after it had cooled down she noticed that below the clock it was displaying "Locked" and the oven door will not open. Also, there is an error code "E1 F5" on the display. I tried calling Whirlpool because nothing is mentioned in the manual and they know nothing. They referred me to a service place but they will not trouble shoot it over the phone, of course. Anyway, I know this should be a fairly easy fix and I have extensive electrical knowledge.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Jerms

Whirlpool Electric Range RF388LXKP
approximately 1 1/2 years old

Old 12-01-05, 04:57 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would say to play around with the clock. I have seen stickers on self-clean ovens in regard to the clock. Can't remember what though. I am just guessing on this, but I bet there has to be an electrical avenue between the clock and the heat and the lock and if you alter this some how, you have to make it known to the lock that the time has expired that it is safe for the electrical to go ahead and unlock. So, I believe the key lies in doing something with the clock.

And if Whirlpool can't tell you what to check for, I would be blunt and tell them that will be the LAST Whirlpool ANYthing you ever buy and you will tell friends and mention it all over the net, like you did here, for one place.

Old 12-04-05, 07:59 PM
Jerms
Visiting Guest
Does anyone have any experience with this? I do not want to open up my oven and just start experimenting with the electronics unless I have good reason. Am I better off calling in a technician for $70-100?

Thanks,
Jerms

Old 12-06-05, 07:34 PM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
Try pulling the plug on the range for a few hours, it might effectively reboot the clock

Old 12-08-05, 08:47 PM
J
solution to get you back in operation

Hi, I have had this same occurrence for the last two years with my KitchenAid oven. I receive error codes E5, F7 after each cleaning. The oven goes through the clean time cycle, cleans, cools down, but the door refuses to unlock. I have not tried to correct the problem via taking the top apart and look at the lock mechcanism or relay. What I have been doing is placing a butter knife in the oven doors top center vent slot (just below the lock rod) and just giving the rod end a slight nudge. With this little assistance the rod rotates back to its normal position and I can then open the door. It beats call the service tech at 75.00 a hour plus transportation time a for the relay or what ever they find is wrong. One of these weekends I'll get around to taking it apart to see whats going on.

Old 12-09-05, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This may not have anything to do with your problem, but I want to share this because this worked for me:

Had a self clean oven that the lady said would not open hours after. I lucked out when I was lifting on the door, and trying to move the handle, that by lifting up on the door slightly, I got it unhooked. Somehow the latch got out of adjustment by some fraction of an inch.

And I'll be darned if I am going to call a techy, to have him go, "HERE", and in 5 seconds by reprogramming something, he 'fixes' it. I would scream bloody murder to Whirlpool if that was the case, and that short service call cost me lots of money. The phone line would start on fire.
Paying someone to make a legitimate 'repair' is one thing, but if some techy can just tell you what to do over the phone, that is something else. That's my opinion of things anyway. I'm sure some pros here don't like such an attitude as they feel they have to make a living, but not at my expense in such a mannor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: