Changing oven thermostat

Old 12-02-05, 02:14 PM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
Changing oven thermostat

My mother -in-law has a Frigidaire stove, model # CFEF313MFN1 and it gets too hot. An appliance repairman (yellow page ad) came to her house ,did some "testing" and told her she needed a new thermostat. He charged her $90.00 for that call and said he would order the part if she wanted it repaired. He told her it was an expensive part, around $200.00 and there would be another service charge call and labour to remove the old thermostat and replace it with the new part.

Then of course she phones me. Can i get some info as to where the thermostat is located and how would access it so I can get the part and install it for her. I've seen them priced in the mid $60.00 range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-05, 06:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat

To get at the thermostat you have to first turn the power off to stove & remove the back cover. Look for the thin copper line going into the top of the oven cavity & follow it up to locate it where all your controls are at.

Old 12-03-05, 06:35 AM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
Thanks dave 6466.

Are u saying that the wire from the sensor on the wall INSIDE the oven that goes thru the back of the oven wall goes to the thermostat.

So-if i kill the power -remove the back cover and follow the wire coming thru the wall it will lead to the thermostat. Anything else--other than marking the wires before disconnecting that a fella should know??

Thanks again.

Old 12-03-05, 08:38 AM
D
Thermostat

Yes. The sensor will be inside the oven to sense the temp. Shouldn't be too hard to change. Just keep track of where the wires go.

Old 12-03-05, 11:12 AM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
THANKS AGAIN DAVE.

Disconnected the power and RAN INTO A PROB. tHE REAR PANEL DOESN'T JUST SIMPLY COME OFF. tHERE IS A CENTER PIECE (SCREWS AND SLOTS) THAT CAME OUT BUT THERE WAS NOTHING THERE JUST SOME WIRES GOING TOWARD THE TOP SO i DEDUCED THE WIRING WOULD BE ACCESSED THRU THE FRONT. (OOPS-SORRY FOR THE CAPS) I did find the coppr wire at the rear from the oven sensor and once thru the insulation it continues on with a protective sheath on it going into the top also.

I figured out how to get that opened (the front panel)and found the copper wire going into the back of the oven control button. Then I was stumped. I could see to tag and then disconnect the wires from the leads and with the oven control unit in my hand I could see the copper wire going into the back of it. (plastic or bakelite) but could not determine if the sensor wire and thermostat were all one piece. Could not see where I could remove the copper wire from it . There were a couple of small screws that I didn't touch because I didn't want to get in over my head.Is the sensor part of the oven control switch?
Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

Thank You

Old 12-03-05, 01:59 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They don't sell just sensor parts, so you don't have to bother trying to figure how to get it off. You just buy the complete new oven switch, which includes the thermostat part. You will get a new one with the temperature probe and copper wire all coiled up. Just use common sense uncoiling it and installing it.

How much off was the calibration by the way? Some thermostats can be adjusted 25 degrees by an adjustable knob, if it has one, or by adjusting a small screw on the oven switch. But if yours is WAYYYYYY off, like 100 degrees or something, or won't shut off at all and the inside of the stove gets 600 degrees, then you definitely need a new oven switch. Make sure to install it the right way up, also.

And what a rip off THAT company is. Is that in New York or California Hollywood area?

Old 12-03-05, 02:04 PM
D
Thermostat

Without actually seeing it I would guess the sensor & oven control are all connected together & have to replaced as one unit. Maybe before you take that all out to be replaced you should do a search on the internet under "appliance parts" to see just how much this all will cost. If its an electronic oven control you might be surprised just how much it costs to replace.

Old 12-03-05, 04:06 PM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
at ecman 1--
Is that in New York or California Hollywood area?
Actually we live in the Eastern part of Canada on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Ok--so it's all one piece -the sensor and the oven button. Thanks for the heads up on the uncoiling and from what I have done so far, I don't think 'll have a problem installing at the front end behind the panel. I havn't disconnected it yet or pulled the sensor or wire out ,so when i do,is there a simple way to thread the sensor end through all this insulation, back thru the hole to the oven cavity. Does it go from the top down with the wire against the back of the cavity, through the insulation or on the outside of the insulation? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Old 12-03-05, 04:14 PM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
Dave--thanks for that advise. I did three price checks--Sears Parts, Sutton & Son ( local) and AP WAGNER. The price was about the same -$94.00 CDN , around $79-$81 USD.
It's a 10 yr old stove and the lady will be selling and moving to senior accomodations within 2 yrs. so I thought the price was ok. Any thoughts?

Old 12-03-05, 04:47 PM
D
Thermostat

Thats not too bad a price. Think how much you'll save by installing it yourself!
To make it easier to thread in the new thermostat probe, tape a piece of string onto the old sensor inside the oven & pull it through when you remove it. Then tape the string onto the new one & pull it back into the oven.

Old 12-04-05, 02:24 PM
burntb4
Visiting Guest
dave6466,

thank you for your suggestions/help. Got er done and was as smooth as can be thanks to your expertise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: