GE washer doesn't agitate

Old 12-11-05, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GE washer doesn't agitate

I have a washing machine that is 11 years old. Went to do a load of wash this morning and noticed that it was not agitating. Spins etc. okay.
Also if I put some weight on the agitator it will start to agitate.

Any help appreciated on what the problem is!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 10:38 AM
GE Washer

There is a spline coupler that sits on the top of the transmission shaft with teeth on the inside that mesh with the teeth on the transmission. The teeth on the coupler are worn off & its not moving the agitator with the tranny. To remove agitator, grab ahold of the bottom & jerk it up & off. If it was never removed in 11 years it could be hard to remove. Once off, if your lucky, the coupler will be on the top of the tranny & you can pull it off & replace. If you're like 99% of the rest of us & not lucky, the coupler will be in the inside top of the agitator. Now is when the fun begins. You can try banging the agitator down on a hard surface to get it to dislodge the coupler but that usually doesn't work. What I end up doing alot of times is to use a box cutter & cut the very top of the agitator off & then pound the coupler down & out. Super glue it back on when new coupler is installed. When you get the new coupler, place it on the tranny shaft & push the agitator down over it untill it is all the way into the top of agitator. Dave

Old 12-13-05, 12:19 AM
aDHuM
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem with lack of agitation....

This is with a HotPoint washer...

Guess it doesn't matter what model or brand it is to find out the problem.

You can put some pressure down on the top of the agitator and it will work.
Removing the agitator from the washer and then running the unit, can see that the system works fine, just the "seal" that is created is not holding the agitating unit in place.

Can the small gasket that's located at the top of the shaft need replacement? or the Gear looking part at the end of the shaft? (my guess is the gasket, since it would appear that the gear doesn't really "fit" into a part of the agitator.

Thanks in advance for helping both of us out!

Old 12-13-05, 02:04 PM
GE, Hotpoint washers

Depends on how old your Hotpoint washer is. I believe around 1995 or so they changed the style of the washer. On the newer style, the agitator sits on a round plastic hub located at the base of the inner tub & the teeth inside the hub mesh with the tranny teeth. Hub is held on by one bolt through the top. Same problem, plastic teeth get rounded out. If yours is the older style, as I said in my other post, if you look up inside the agitator you should see the spline stuck in the agitator at the top. You have to get that out & replace. The teeth are rounded out. Not sure what you are refering to when you say gasket on the tranny? Dave

Old 12-08-13, 03:31 PM
Talking GE Profile stopped agitating - just needs new air coupler

For my GE Profile clothes washer, I must say thanks for the guidance on the removal of the agitator. I located the stripped air coupler underneath that was spining freely. Thankfully my coupler stayed attached to transmission shaft and that all it takes is the removal of a bolt to replace with a new coupler. I've shimmed the old coupled until the replacement part arrives by adding a temporary plastic cut washer that raises it enough that the remaining threads bind with shaft threads - interim fix.
Great advice and I am very grateful for your DIY sharing!!!

Old 01-14-14, 06:51 AM
Older GE Washer Agitator Spline

I determined the agitator was not working and when pressing down it would begin to function. Agitator Spline coupling is stripped. Was able to remove the agitator spline by cutting out top of the agitator and banging it out. HOWEVER I ordered new one online and cannot get it in place. SUGGESTIONS? Vaseline?

I placed the spline on the long tranmission shaft and tried hammering on the agitator (using a metal block between surface and hammer to create evenness). No luck. Took agitator off - the spline and the rubber outer ridged thing became seperated! Is this normal?? Or did I get a poorly reconditioned replacement part?

Last edited by PapaTom; 01-14-14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Agitator fits in slots that have to line up plastic coupler. I have found it hard at times to get slots lined right.

Old 01-14-14, 08:15 AM
That is a tuffy. But I am pretty confident it is lined up but the rubber is very "grippy". Do you think vaseline is ok to use?

Old 01-14-14, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
I don't think would hurt don't use a lot.