frigidaire refrigerator wont cool

Old 12-12-05, 07:00 AM
keejarider
Visiting Guest
frigidaire refrigerator wont cool

My fridge wont cool but my freezer is haning out around 20 degrees, the fridge is around 50 degrees. About two weeks ago neither would work and we had to unplug it and let the whole unit dethaw, hooked it back up, and it runs great. It is a side by side and is about 2.5 years old. Any help would be great.
Thanks
B

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 04:57 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ref

I'm gonna guess and say you probably have a sealed system problem if everything is running such as freezer(Evaporator),compressor fan(condenser) & compressor. If all are running and your temp is rising slowly you more than likely have a sealed system problem which should be under warranty from Frigidaire, check your owners manual. Good luck

Old 12-12-05, 05:01 PM
D
Frig. fridge

Defrost problem. You solved it yourself when you left it off to thaw. Of course its supposed to do that on its own. There is a timer located somewhere on your fridge. Either on the back near the compressor, behind the kick plate on the front bottom or somewhere inside the fresh food section near the cold control. That could be bad or the heaters by the coils in the freezer section behind the back panel. Usually what I do is find the timer & turn it clockwise slowly untill it clicks the compressor off. It is then in the defrost mode. Then I take the back panel of the freezer off & wait to see if the heaters are coming on. If heaters work, timer is bad. If no heat, check the heaters. Probably 2 in your side x side. Do this while the fridge is running & cold because there is also a thermostat clipped on the coils that will turn the heaters off if freezer gets too warm in defrost cycle. That thermostat could also be bad but thats not usually the case. My bet is on the heaters.
Dave

Old 12-12-05, 05:14 PM
A
ref

As a Frigidaire authorized servicer I'd tell you take what ever advice you can get, but just an Fyi to you and Dave, there are no defrost timers on a 2.5 yr old side by side Frigidaire refrigerators. They have an ADC(adaptive defrost control) board and generally they just fail completely and you'll have a completely dead refrigerator with only the interior lights working. Your refrigerator only has one heater and with that I will stand by what I said earlier. Dave would be 100percent correct if this was a top & bottom style refrigerator manufactured by Frigidaire, it would have a timer that you could turn by hand, but I believe you stated it was a sidexside. Look to the inside bottom of the freezer compartment on the back wall for any signs of frost build up, if there is frost you have defrost problem. If no signs of buildup, your problems are elsewhere,see my first post.Again good luck....

Old 12-12-05, 07:03 PM
D
Frig. fridge

Angelsappl is correct on your fridge not having a mechanical timer. I did not take notice on your post that the fridge was only 2.5 years old. I would still take the back panel off & look at that heater. Its probably a glass tube style heater & you can remove it to check the coils inside for a break. As far as the defrost board goes, good luck. Unless Angelsappl knows how to jump it into defrost, I usually replace it & hope that was the problem. Dave

Old 12-13-05, 03:12 PM
keejarider
Visiting Guest
well, I gor it fixed today for $130, parts and labor, the part looked like it was about ten cents, he sai dit was a defrost timer or something like that, what do you think, did i get screwesd

Old 12-13-05, 03:28 PM
D
Frig. fridge

As Angelsappl stated, the defrost timer is now a control board & cost much more than a regular mechanical timer. I don't like them as I see them get fried very easily due to power outages & surges but thats what the
appliance makers are using more & more so it doesn't matter if I like it or not. I replaced one on a Whirlpool last summer & the timer was around $70.00 my cost. So, figure a parts mark-up & service call & that really isn't a bad charge.
Then again, I guess thats easy for me to say since I didn't get the bill. Dave

Old 12-23-05, 07:46 PM
c_nanik
Visiting Guest
Similar problem with my frigidaire refrigerator

I have a 24 cubit feet frigidaire refrigerator about 2 years old. The problem started about 6 months ago. Both sections would become warm. I put off the unit for about 8-10 hours and it would start working fine. The frequency has increased and it is becoming a nuisance. I just noticed a lot of ice form on the freezer rear wall.

Should I also also change the adaptive defrost board

Please help!!!