GE Washer works until Rinse cycle?

Old 12-17-05, 05:45 PM
cricket4462
Visiting Guest
GE Washer works until Rinse cycle?

I have a 2 yr old GE Washer that will agggitate then spin in the Wash cycle. All is good during the Wash cycle but then after that it wont go into the Rinse cycle where it is suppose to fill back up , aggitate again, then go to the Spin cycle which does work if I advance the knob. All it does is make a humming noise even if I try and advance it ahead a pinch while in the Rinse cycle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 06:16 PM
GE Washer

If it fills with water, agitates & spins in wash cycle ok, I would suspect a bad contact in your timer if it won't go to rinse. Does the timer still advance at that point even though it won't fill & agitate? Try this to eliminate other causes, on small load start washer like normal till you get to the rinse cycle where it stops. Advance timer to the start again & see if it now fills & agitates. If it does, that eliminates the motor being overheated, fill switch, water valve, lid switch, & points to the timer. Also, before you advance the timer after it stops at rinse try lifting the lid up & down to see if the lid switch is acting up. I doubt it but its worth a try. Dave

Old 12-17-05, 06:27 PM
cricket4462
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dave for the reply.........It does not advance after it gets to the Rinse cycle and I did try the lid proceedure to see if it was the switch with no luck. I suspect that its in the timer as well because after it reaches the Rinse cylce and does not advance I go and put it back to the Wash cycle without detergent to aggetate again and spin to use it that way to clean cloths until I figure out what to do to fix this.

Seems like I need to purchase a timer.

Thanks again dave.

Old 12-17-05, 06:30 PM
rinse cycle

Also, just a wild stab in the dark make sure that both faucets are turned on..since most machines have only a cold water rinse option. Be sure the cold water hose & faucet aren't kinked or turned off or possibly the hoses reversed and the hot one turned off.. anything like that. Usually the humming noise can be the water valve starving for water, among many other possible things. Try that for starters & good luck.

Old 12-17-05, 06:31 PM
GE washer

Thats what seems to be the problem. If you post your model # I'll look it up & let you know the part #. Dave

Old 12-17-05, 06:37 PM
GE Washer

Thats one I forgot about. Good point angelsappl. If cold water side of valve is not working or screen is blocked it won't let the washer fill with cold water so it won't go on to agitate. See if you are getting cold water into machine when it fills for regular wash cycle.

Old 12-17-05, 06:42 PM
washer..

No problem, that's what I like about this forum many different experiences from people to offer a lot of different ideas & help. Besides I'm lazy I always like to start with the simple stuff. We use the KISS method around here, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Old 12-18-05, 06:53 AM
cricket4462
Visiting Guest
Its working after a dumb move by me. The cold water faucet was turned off and only the hot was on. To make a long story short....I had purchased a hot tub and couldnt use the outside house faucet to fill the hot tub becuase of the freezing weather so I used the faucet in the house that was connected to the washer and after filling the hottub and reconnecting to the washer (I totally forgot to turn the cold water back on to the washer). GEEZ!....I was about to call a service man. I saved money cause of this great site.

Thanks so much for all the help angelsappl for recognizing it and dave6466 for all the other options that might have cused it..... You guys are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again, cricket4462

Old 12-18-05, 08:32 AM
GE Washer

Wew, that would have been an expensive part to replace only to find it wasn't the problem. I'm glad someone else stepped in with their idea before you bought the timer. I'm always getting new info & ideas from this forum.