Dryer overheating

Old 12-22-05, 02:12 PM
alexei
Visiting Guest
Dryer overheating

Hello,

A heating element recently broken in my Wirpool LFE5700 (which is old but I do not know how old it is). I have replaced the heating element with after market part.

Now I have another issue that the dryer will not stop heating, i.e. heating element is on all the time (unless I set it on "fluff air" mode). The unit has 3 settings for air temperature, and the issue is only present when I use “hot” or “warm” but not when I use “fluff air”.

I can see that the heating element stays always on and never shuts off. The dryer gets warm to touch.

I am thinking that I may need to replace one or both low temperature thermostats 342812 341146.

My understanding is that one of the thermostats is ащк 140F and another is for 150F. Both thermostats check good for continuity and there is good air flow through the dryer.

I never let the unit to get hot enough for the third safety thermostat to shut it off.

I am puzzled though if the thermostats are really my issue (as I would not expect both of them to break at the same time) or is it possible I got another problem, and if so what this problem would be and what part would I need to fix it.

Thank you for your help,
Alexei

Old 12-22-05, 04:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool dryer

Even though both thermostats have continuity it does not mean they are
opening to break the circuit to your heating element when the temp. they are rated for is reached. Before I would replace them I would pull the heating element you replaced & take a look inside the housing to make sure no part of the coils is touching the housing. Its possible to ground the coil to the housing & it lets the element stay on all the time although its usually not glowing as bright since its getting 120 volts, not 240. Before you try that, take one wire off the 150 degree thermostat, make sure its not touching anything & run the dryer on high setting. If element still gets hot its not the thermostat. With your dryer being on the old side its always possible both operating thermostats are bad & need replaced. If thats the case, get a high limit thermostat too. Sounds like that isn't killing the power to the element if the dryer shell is getting that warm. One last thing to check. Make sure there is a good flow of air coming out the vent. If blower is broke or theres a blockage, not enough air is moving over the thermostats for them to work correctly. Dave

Old 12-22-05, 06:51 PM
alexei
Visiting Guest
Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I did testing you have proposed and discovered that termostats do break, and hitting element does shut down.

My original description of the issue was wrong.

The real issue is that hitting on the new element does shut down but the unit is somehow get lot hotter then it use to with the old element.

So I go worried and never let it get hot enough for element to shut down. During testing tonight I did let it heat to a point it would shut down.

So I wonder why the unit get that hot? Can new heater transfer more hit to the unit somehow? It is a generic element as Wirpool one is not possible to get any more.

Or may be mu ducks got dirty since the last time I checked.

Best regards,
Alexei

Old 12-22-05, 07:03 PM
D
Whirlpool dryer

Don't know who told you the element isn't available anymore. I looked your model # up & the element part # is 348774 which crosses over to a newer whirlpool part # 4391960. It is very well possible the generic element you got is a different wattage. Best to go with an exact element for your dryer.
apwagner.com is where I get my parts but you can search the internet for appliance parts to get the best price. Dave

Old 12-23-05, 07:34 AM
alexei
Visiting Guest
Dave,

I want to thank you for the great help you have provided me with.

I have talked to some 10 stores and none of them could get me the Whirlpool part, some of them even said such model does not exist. You must be in possession of lookup magic they are not privy to.

Best regards,
Alexei

Old 12-23-05, 01:16 PM
D
Whirlpool dryer

No magic involved. Go to apwagner.com. Type in the part # I gave you. I believe they had about 100 in stock. You can double check with your model # there too. It came right up for me when I typed it in. Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: