Kenmore electric range bake element

Old 12-24-05, 07:12 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
Kenmore electric range bake element

I have a Kenmore electric range model no. 911-9342190. The bake element went out and I replaced it. Unfortunately, the local hardware store did not carry the correct element and I had to do some engineering to get this element to attach to the wiring on the range. It worked for approximately 1 week and then it burnt out the element (threw the breaker). I have replaced this element with the proper element, but the bake element now does not work. Everything else on the range works. Thinking that my bake element might be bad, I hooked the wiring for the bake element up to the broiling element and this did not work. So I am assuming that the bake element is good and it has to be something to do with the wiring, or is there a fuse that could be blown in the range.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore range

My guess would be you fried either the selector switch or oven thermostat by installing a wrong wattage element. You will have to take top back panel off & either see a hot spot on it or check for voltage from selector switch to thermostat. If voltage is going to thermostat, thermostat is bad. If no voltage to thermostat, selector switch is bad. Always replace elements with correct replacements. sears.com carries all your parts. Selector switch is part # WB24K5060-$28.49. Thermostat is part # WB20K5020-$113.99.

Old 12-25-05, 06:41 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Bake Element

Ouch, Thanks for the info.

Old 12-25-05, 07:32 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
bake element

One question, would the broil element work if it was either of these problems?

Old 12-25-05, 09:14 AM
Kenmore

The selector switch contacts are seperate for the bake element & broil element. So, yes its possible the broil element can still work. To be honest, I'm not sure if the thermostat was fried if your broil element could still work.
I would lean more towards the selector switch being bad.

Old 12-25-05, 11:10 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
kenmore bake element

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-26-05, 06:29 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
kenmore bake element

I changed the wiring on the selector. I put the wire for the bake element onto the connection for the broil element. It works. The only difference is that I have to turn it on broil and now the bake element works. I live 60 miles from the nearest parts store, will it hurt for me to use the range this way until I can get to Nashville?

Old 12-26-05, 09:47 AM
Kenmore range

Probably won't hurt anything that way however, I'm not sure if thermostat will turn bake element off at selected temp. Set it at lowest temp. & see if it shuts off. If so, go up another 50 degrees & watch again to be sure. I still would only use oven when you are close by to keep an eye on it untill it is back to correct operating condition.

Old 12-26-05, 09:52 AM
ghross
Visiting Guest
bake element

Baked some biscuits, seemed to work ok. Thanks for all of your help.
Great Site!!!!