Kenmore washer-fills, but makes grinding sound trying to spin

Old 12-28-05, 09:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer-fills, but makes grinding sound trying to spin

I have a Whirlpool-built Kenmore washer, model 110.23832100, approx. 4 years old. I believe that's a direct drive model. The other night while starting a load, it filled up just fine. When it came time to agitate/spin, it wouldn't move and made a 'grinding/slipping' sound, almost like it was trying to move, but couldn't quite get it going. I don't know how else to describe the sound. I plan on taking the covers off tonight to see what I can see, but am hoping someone here could give me a better idea of what to look for.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel

Old 12-28-05, 10:00 AM
J
Sorry, doofus that I am, I didn't check thoroughly enough for a similar problem that was already posted. Sounds like it may be the coupler, so that'll be the first thing I check.

Thanks

Old 12-28-05, 12:16 PM
D
Kenmore washer

Yep, its the coupler. Part #285852.

Old 12-29-05, 03:04 PM
njtopie1
Visiting Guest
further kenmore issues

It sounds like a strange coincidence because my washer did the same thing as you described to me. It also happened yesterday.
(fills.....then made grinding noise instead of agitating or spinning when that is supposed to happen.....but it gets through the load .....by skipping those phases while it runs through the appropriate timing of the cycled phases.::
Essentially...it fills.....grinds....empties....grinds...fills....grinds....empties...grinds....rinses...grinds.....concludes.)
I am not sure where the coupling is but that is what I may need according to your experience. Sears suggested it was not a coupler; but a coupling.
How do I know if that is the problem? and How do I find it?
Can I do so without removing the shell:? I can't unsnap it.
Please help.....thanks.

Old 12-29-05, 05:06 PM
D
Kenmore

Coupler, coupling, same thing... To remove shell, take screws off from front bottom of control panel at each corner. Flip panel up & over back. Remove clips on both sides of top shell, pull plug. Tilt whole shell towards you & remove. Remove 2 clips on pump & remove, remove 2 screws and clips holding motor & remove motor. Unplug motor & set out of way. Half of COUPLING is on motor, other half on tranny with the rubber bushing between.
Either coupling ears are broke off or rubber is rounded out. Dave

Old 12-29-05, 07:17 PM
J
Finished taking the washer apart about an hour ago. Much easier than I thought to get to the coupler. The coupler was broken, on the motor side. Dave, your removal instructions were right on the money. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-05, 09:35 PM
njtopie1
Visiting Guest
FIXED ( i hope)

Wow. Jokun....thanks for getting Dave to the table.....my coupling is also broken/cracked on motor side. (I hope we aren't on too close a line of symmetry....because your roof will link if so...)
Getting those clips to let loose of the shell was a task....but other than that....once I got everything unclipped....BINGO.
Thanks Dave. (and in a weird way...thanks Jokun)
The coupling part is on the way.
(https://www3.sears.com/shop/login.shtml)
I think I remember how to get the machine back together ....shell ; control panel and all....but don't be shy if you have any advice on that task when the part arrives .
Thanks again.

Old 01-03-06, 07:11 PM
J
Got the coupler in the mail today (love the holidays, but they really suck when you're waiting for something in the mail) and was able to throw everything back together w/in a half hour. Working on the third load of overdue laundry now, and everything seems to be running perfectly.

Thanks again for the help.

Joel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: