Roper fridge--bad starting device or compressor?

Old 12-28-05, 12:15 PM
papashaq
Visiting Guest
Roper fridge--bad starting device or compressor?

Hi there, I have a Roper side by side refrigerator model # RS25AEXLQ00. The compressor was not running so I investigated and found the Starting device/ relay...roper part # 8201532...to not be fully connected to the windings. The unit was still plugged in and I simply pushed a little bit on the relay and saw a glowing and a burning smell. I unplugged an pulled off relay and saw that the contactor for the upper furthest winding showed signs of heat discoloration. I am not sure which winding it as I never tested it, and the fridge in at a nother location. I reconnected the relay to the compressor tightly and pluged in. It seemed to be working fine...compressor start up, no glowing or burning smell. My question is do you think it would be safe to just put this realy back on, and make sure it is coneccted securely? If not, before I order this $90 part, do you think the relay is faulty or there may be problems with the compressor? The frige is only 1 1/2 year old, and wouldn't think that it should have faulty equipment just yet. On would think that it just wasn't making good contact to the winding and was arching, but why would it glow, and what would make this realy to become unsecure? Let me know what you think please. Thank you for your help...Jason.

Old 12-28-05, 02:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roper fridge

Probably was overheating due to a loose connection. I doubt if the compressor is bad after 1 1/2 years. I would go ahead & order a new relay.
I looked your part # up at apwagner.com & they have it for $47.37 plus shipping. Quite a bit lower than wherever you got a price. If it turns out down the road the compressor is going it should have a 5 year warranty. Dave

Old 12-28-05, 04:39 PM
papashaq
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Dave. I appreciate it. I actually found one on ebay for 21 bucks. the lister says it's a common failure part, so must happen often. I'll try that and post if I have more problems with it... THanks again, this helps alot. Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: