ge washer won't fill

Old 12-28-05, 04:36 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ge washer won't fill

Hi I did laundry all day yesterday, no problem. Today went to do a load and the washer automatically skips over the fill and goes directly to agitating. How do i take top or front off to see if there is something clogged or stuck?

thanks
desperate in colorado!!!!!!

Old 12-28-05, 04:48 PM
D
GE washer

Sounds like the water level switch. Thats what tells the timer when the water level its set at is reached & puts it into the agitate cycle. There is a plastic tube that goes from the switch to the bottom of tub. It works on air pressure made from the level of water in tub. Sometimes the line gets blocked. First, run the washer on spin cycle for a few minutes to see if that opens the line. If not, you will have to get at the controls to the back of the level switch, take the line off & blow through it to open it up. If its not restricted, water level switch is probably bad. Dave

Old 12-28-05, 05:16 PM
C
Talking

It worked!!! Thank you soo much for your help and advice. You are a life saver. I live in the mountains and it was going to cost me $125 just for a service call! I am soo relieved. You are great and I am glad I found this site. Just wanted you to know in case no one tells you

Coloradomom

Old 12-28-05, 05:25 PM
D
GE Washer

Glad I could help. $125.00 service call??? I gotta charge more than my usual $30.00! Dave

Old 12-28-05, 07:55 PM
C
Unhappy

uh oh, I think I spoke to soon. It filled with water and did its cycle for 12 min, then I think when it got to the rinse cycle it just quit. Now when I try to run just a spin cycle, it acts like it is going to do it, but then just turns off??? AHH. If it needs the part you were talking about, what is that going to run me and can I get one myself??
Thanks a bunch

Coloradomom

Old 12-29-05, 08:59 AM
D
GE Washer

We might have run into this problem with another person on here. Try this,
set your washer on cold water only & see if the cold comes in. If not, make sure the water supply valve is turned on & the screen in your water valve where the hose screws on is not blocked. Rinse cycle usually uses cold water only & will not agitate untill filled with the cold water. Dave

Old 12-29-05, 03:44 PM
C
Hi Dave

So I took off the hose and it appears that I may have to replace it. We have hard water and tried cleaning it and still drips out. Water is on full blast. Spin cycle doesn't even spin, acts like it is going to and just turns off. I poured a pitcher of water in the tub and it appears to drain ok, just never starts spinning. Could this hose be the problem? Still when you start to do a load, it skips over the fill cycle and goes directly to agitating. Arghh. Does that switch maybe need replacing also?? The washer is only about 2 1/2 years old. I would think they would last longer than this?? CJ

Old 12-29-05, 05:15 PM
D
GE Washer

Kinda frustrating on this end also without actually seeing what its doing. Are you saying the cold water just drips into washer when filling? If it goes into agitate cycle before it is filled with water my guess would be the fill switch is bad. Did you take hose off of it & blow through it to be sure its open? On the rinse cycle it should just sit there untill it is once again filled with water before it agitates. The lid switch could also be bad & not let it go into spin cycle. Push in on the switch with a pen. You should hear a slight click when you push in on it.

Old 12-29-05, 05:28 PM
C
I don't see a switch anywhere on the lid. It doesn't latch anywhere, just lifts up. I tried doing a spin cycle again. I can hear the motor, and it sounds like water going down a drain sort of, like if you had a disposal on and water running down it, but there is no water draining out the back, just hums. then after a few minutes, it just turns off completely? I blew that hose out again and it won't fill. Should I get someone to come out. I am sorry this is so frustrating. Just thought I might be able to fix it before my last resort. cj

Old 12-29-05, 06:21 PM
D
GE Washer

OK. Next step. Take a small screwdriver & insert at front of each corner to remove front panel of washer. See if belt is turning & motor is coming on. Pump is electric & seperate from main motor so water should drain ok. Lid switch is on the right top of washer. It is located below the top frame & a tab on the lid sticks down to push in on it when the lid closes. Dave

Old 12-30-05, 06:46 AM
C
ok, i opened up the front and the belt appears to be working, not broken and motor also when i have it on just a wash cycle. when it is on spin cycle, it just hums. when it put it on rinse cycle, again just the humming sound. i looked for the switch you were talking about on the lid. when the lid closes, i can hear a click where the knobs are, but i cannot find where it connects. when you lift the lid, there are rubber stoppers in the front no holes and then the hinges in the back.

Old 12-30-05, 08:37 AM
D
GE Washer

Your washer must have the magnetic lid switch. I'm running out of ideas of things to check. Any other ideas from someone else out there?

Old 12-30-05, 10:33 AM
C
dave
I am determined to fix this thing myself! So i took the panel off again and looked at all the switches closely. I found a connector that goes from the water level knob to the board has broken off, there are three places where a wire can be connected. only two have wires. one say no 15, (this is dark orange cable) right next to it say no 16 (no cable was connected there) and then a co 7 (this is a brown wire). the two cables connect to a cn2 lock mech side. So could this be all my problems??? Leading back to the water level switch and this cable needing to be replaced?? CJ

Old 12-30-05, 01:01 PM
D
GE Washer

Sounds like you found the problem. If the connector broke off the board it could be hard to re-attatch. Might have to get new board. If broke off at water level switch it should be easy to put back on.

Old 12-30-05, 03:56 PM
C
it broke off at the switch, so I am in luck. I will let you know if it works. thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!!!!!! CJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: