Whirlpool washer making grinding noise

Old 01-08-06, 06:34 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool washer making grinding noise

I have a heavy duty extra large capacity plus 9 cycle, 2 speed washer and during the rinse or spin cycle a noise sounding like coins left in the tub occurred. I took the contents out and found no such objects so I cut the unit back on and it makes a grinding noise and the tub barely moved.

I'm guessing the transmission is bad but I'm not sure how to get it off the bottom of the frame. I've removed the three bolts and the trans/motor dropped down some then stopped. It appears that the brake assembly will not let the trans drop. Any ideas on how to get this out???

Old 01-09-06, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you still have the agitater off the trans will slide al the way down leaving the brake in place... when it was spinning did you notice if the trans was turning and the basket wasnt.. if so that could be the drive block or the clutch.

Old 01-09-06, 08:04 AM
V
Originally Posted by bambiblaster
If you still have the agitater off the trans will slide al the way down leaving the brake in place... when it was spinning did you notice if the trans was turning and the basket wasnt.. if so that could be the drive block or the clutch.

Thanks. Now I have to figure out how to remove the agitator...

Old 01-09-06, 08:57 AM
V
Took it apart and the dog ears in the agitator look fine. The long transmission shaft turns fine and feels smooth. The coupler to the motor is fine and when I turn the input coupler the large dish thing spins but the shaft does not. Is this normal? I did not open the transmission case b/c everything feels smooth.

Any ideas?

Old 01-09-06, 04:34 PM
V
Okay, I put it all back together and it operates fine in all modes but the spin mode. The tub does spin and get up to speed but a higher pitch whinning noise is present the whole time. Last night I did not let it run long enough for it to get up to speed so I thought it would not but it does - just makes a lot of noise doing it. While it was spinning this time the top plastic piece on top of the tub came off - now it makes even more noise

Old 01-09-06, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
high pitch whine?? does the sound come from below coul have something caught in pump..

Old 01-10-06, 05:52 AM
V
Originally Posted by bambiblaster
high pitch whine?? does the sound come from below coul have something caught in pump..

I thought the pump also pumped water out during the rinse cycle which is very quiet. Only in spin does it make noise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: