kenmore washer agitates before it fills

Old 02-17-06, 07:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kenmore washer agitates before it fills

I own a 6 year old Kenmore Washer heavy duty 90 series Super Capacity plus. The model number is 110.20904990. It is a direct drive washer and has worked fine till recently.

After coming home one day my wife complained that the washer had tripped the circuit breaker. I reset it, started it again and it tripped in about 3 more minutes. I reset once more and watched it carefully. It was set for cold/cold and the largest load setting and the permanent press cycle. When started normally, although it appeared to be filling with water normally, the agitator began to run immediatly. I tried it on all the various cycles, and the agitator runs as the tub is still filling with water. It normally does not run till the tub fills up with water. Now it runs from the very beginning.

I took the washer apart and checked the water level sensor and that works fine. The sensor at the bottom of the tub fills correctly and the pressure does stop the water when it reaches the correct level. I checked the water sensor rubber tubing for leaks and there are none. I even checked proper operation of the water level shutoff sensor by blowing into the tube and making sure it shut off the water flow.

Once the tub fills with water, the washer appears to work correctly and no longer blows the circuit breaker. My guess is that with the agitator working on dry or barely wet clothes, the load is too high and the breaker trips. Once the tub fills with water, the load is off the agitator and the breaker no longer trips.

My guess is that there is a timer problem. Am I on the right track? The timer seems to make all the correct decisions except for the initial agitator operation. Is it worth replacing the timer to see if this fixes it, or does someone have another idea what it could be.

thanks for any advice you can give me

Mike

Old 02-18-06, 02:46 PM
G
Is it worth replacing the timer to see if this fixes it,

Well its about 90 bucks so it would be a good idea to make sure. Just so I have everything straight a couple questions.
The washer does stop filling on its own correct?
Ok you say its agitating as soon as you turn it on instead of after
it fills. If you were to disconnect the wires from the water level switch
does the washer still agitate?

Old 02-18-06, 07:17 PM
M
I tested the things you mentioned and...

1. With everything hooked up, the washer does fill up to the correct level and then the water stops as it should. during this entire time the agitator is still running.

2. When I disconnect the electrical connector from the water level switch, the washer still operates, and the agitator is always running. The water does NOT fill however.

3. I let the washer fill up completely (heavy load) without any clothes in it, (and the agitator ran during the entire fill cycle). When the tub filled up and the tub cycled to the normal agitator cycle, you could hear that the motor was under a heavy load, and after about 10 seconds it tripped the circuit breaker. I manually advanced the timer to the spin cycle and the same thing happened......the tub began to spin, but you could hear a heavier than normal whine out of the motor..not a grinding sound but a heavy electrical load sound...then the circuit breaker tripped again. I eventually got the tub emptied by running the spin cycle 10 seconds at a time until most of the water was out. At that point the load seemed low enough that the breaker no longer tripped.

So maybe I have more than a timer problem?

Old 02-18-06, 07:43 PM
G
2. When I disconnect the electrical connector from the water level switch, the washer still operates, and the agitator is always running. The water does NOT fill however.

Ok that should eliminate the water level switch.
If it were to stop agitating when you disconnected it then I would have told you the water level switch was your problem. More later..

Old 02-19-06, 05:33 PM
G
"So maybe I have more than a timer problem?"

That’s a possibility, I am pretty sure you
have a bad timer. It looks like you have a set of contacts
in the timer that are shorted and causing it to bypass the water
level switch. Ok on to the tripping breaker, The motor has
three windings in it. The start winding, the high speed run winding
and the low speed run winding. Normally when you start the washer
the start and the run windings are energized together just long enough
to get the motor running. Then the start winding is dropped out of
circuit or turned off leaving only one of the motor windings energized.
What I think is happening is that more than one of these windings is
staying turned on at the same time. This would cause an increase in
noise plus the washer would draw a lot more current. This could be
caused by two different things. The timer could be sending voltage
to one of the other motor windings when its not suppose to. Or the
motor start switch is bad and not turning off the motor start winding
after its no longer needed. Either of these things can cause the motor
to run louder than normal or trip a breaker.

Hope this helps

Old 02-19-06, 06:07 PM
M
I'm going to try replacing the timer......it sounds like that is most likely the culprit

Thanks for all your help and assistance

Mike

Old 02-21-06, 02:10 PM
M
timer fixed it

I replaced the timer and that fixed the problem. While I was reassembling it, a small plastic cover/shield dropped out of place and I have no idea where it came from. Does Sears/Whirlpool publish a schematic drawing for this washer? Or if not, I have posted a picture of the piece at http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mnolan/100_2386.JPG
If you can identify the part I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help on this

Mike

Old 02-21-06, 02:30 PM
G
Its a sheild that's attached to back on the inside just above the
inlet valve. Copy and paste this address to view a diagram.

http://www3.sears.com/Paul/Leadimage.asp?productTypeID=0153200&brandID=0582&modelDesc=AUTOMATIC%20WASHER&modelNumber=11020904990&documentID=P0010309&documentTypeID=PLDM&documentClassCode=PM&titleType=REAR%20PANEL&titleID=00002&

Old 02-21-06, 03:23 PM
M
thanks for all your help

have a nice night

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: