Whirlpool Refrigerator Condensor Won't Go

Old 02-22-06, 01:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Refrigerator Condensor Won't Go

I bought a used Whirlpool Refrigerator side-by-side (made in 10/00) a month ago, and just tried to start it up and it seems the condensor won't fire up. I've had good luck with used appliances in the past, and this guy seemed honest, but I guess I should have tested it.

When I plug it in, the fan runs and I can hear an electrical hum, but that's it. I noticed there's a device that appears to have been hooked up to the condensor after market called a Relay Capacitor Overload Combination. I have a guy I can pay to come out and look at it, but first I'd like to figure out what was going on that they needed to install this device or if there's anything I can try.

Old 02-22-06, 03:34 PM
J
I suspect you mean compressor. Anyway, with the unit unplugged, check all connections at the compressor and start relay/cap/combo. It is possible the replacement compressor starter has failed and needs to be replaced again. It's also possible it may be the wrong unit for your size compressor or it may not be wired correctly.
There's an ouside chance the compressor may have locked up. There are a few tricks that techs use as a last chance effort to free it up.

Old 02-22-06, 04:03 PM
T
Yea, I meant compressor. I'll check the relay capacitor connections. So that is basically a starter? I know that flux capacitors have to do with time travel--I had one in my Delorean, but I didn't know what this was. How would I figure out if I have the right RCOC unit?

I know one trick that worked on my old compressor--a rubber mallet. I may try that also tonight.

Old 02-22-06, 04:36 PM
T
Update:

OK, I checked the connections to the RCOC. The red & white wires going to it were wire-nutted to the two black wires going into it and those connections seemed ok. The red, white, and black wires coming out of it had pretty amateur connections to the compressor (stranded wires loosely wrapped around connectors that were plugged into the 3 prongs coming out of the compressor. I thought I might improve those connections, but first I just wiggled them around a bit and plugged it in. Immediately, a bunch of black smoke started coming out of the RCOC, so I unplugged the refrigerator.

I'm assuming that it wasn't wired correctly and that probably now this RCOC is fried. Sound right?

I can get Whirlpool parts at cost, so next I'd like to try to figure out what part I need. I'll attempt this at Whirlpool's website, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

Old 02-22-06, 04:54 PM
T
My model # is ED22UEXHW00. I searched a couple of sites and got multiple results for similarly named parts, such as this:

http://www.partstore.com/ModelDetail.aspx?MfgId=125&ModelID=181385&close=0&exact=1

(then I limited search to 'relay', or 'capacitor')

I could only find accessories on Whirlpool's site.

Some of these parts say for service compressor, and some say for production compressor. This is going to the large (size of a gallon of milk, but shorter and fatter) black compressor at the bottom in the back. If I knew I was getting the right part, I think I could wire it up properly myself, or maybe I just need to call my refrigeration friend now???

Old 02-23-06, 06:47 AM
J
That site does list the part (searching compressor will yield compressor starter). But it's not available.

Go to your nearest appliance store and get a universal compressor starter relay/overload. Supco makes a good unit. I've used them with great results.

Old 02-23-06, 11:50 AM
T
I have a friend who works for Whirlpool and she can get me Whirlpool parts at cost, but I think I need the part number. Do you know where I can find that and a wiring diagram? (at whirlpool.com, I could only find accessorie type stuff)

Thanks!

Edit: I got the part number by calling Whirlpool (8201799), now I just need to find a wiring diagram, unless it will come with the part.

Last edited by Timinindy; 02-23-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 02:17 PM
J
I would contact Whirlpool for the schematic. Usually they are glued to the back of the cabinet.
You may find it on the internet, but you would have to do some searching.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: