dishwasher does not drain

Old 03-09-06, 12:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dishwasher does not drain

The other day my dw stopped draining all the water out and I did briefly hear a crunching sound like it was grinding up a piece of bone , etc.

My friend took it all apart and with the top parts that look like fan blades ( that provide the washing mechanism ) are off , the dw drains completely . When he puts it all back together , same problem - will wash but will not drain .

At first, we thought it must be a problem with the pump, but that doesn't seem to make sense, since it pumped out fine when a cycle was run through and it was down to the pump .

THe dw is a 6 years old Kenmore Ultra Wash and is NOT hooked up to plumbing - it is a portable ( covertible , full-sized ) model that you pull over top the faucet each time you use it .

Thanks for any help.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be ???

Forgot to add that he did try to remove the pump mechanism to check for broken parts, but tried about 20 different wrenches and sockets and none worked . Does anyone know the tool ( metric?) needed to remove the pump?

If needed , I can look up the names of the parts .

Old 03-10-06, 09:29 AM
C
fixed

Well, thanks for looking at the post - for now anyway , the problem seems to be resolved .
He was never able to remove the pump mechanism , but backflushed to drainhose , cleaned any visible debris from all areas , tightened everything and for now at least, it seems to be draining fine - my guess is that whatever was initially clogging the pump, got small enough to pass through and now pump has enough suction.
Of course, this may be all wrong , but as long as it works ( fingers crossed ) , that 's fine by me .

Old 03-10-06, 09:51 AM
Glad you got the problem solved. Backflushing the drainhose was probably what solved it. Even small bits of food can build up and eventually clog the hose. There is a screen at the bottom of the inside near the center. These sometimes need attention as the larger particals are usually trapeed her.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: