washing machine pulls threads

Old 03-12-06, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
washing machine pulls threads

Hello,

I am having trouble with my washing machine. It is ruining our towels and similarly woven fabrics. You know the little loops that make up the soft fabric of a towel? It is pulling these loops and tearing them, so that when the towels come out, they have strings hanging out all over. They are usually just an inch or two long. I have felt all around the tub, agitator, and under the edges of the agitator, and can't find any snags or sharp spots. This has been happening for quite some time, but my wife just washed something new that she was proud of, and it came out basically ruined. Now she wants it fixed, or replaced. Naturally, I'd rather fix. What in the world could be causing this? It's a Whirlpool LLR6144BN1. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 03-12-06, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not the expert in this Forum, but, one of the culprits I have seen mentioned in other posts is bra stays. The metal wire comes out and hangs up in one of the holes in the tub and snags everything after that. You may need to do another hand exploration. Good luck.

Old 03-14-06, 12:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the suggestion Majak, but I can't find any such snag/wire. I don't feel anything anywhere that could be causing this problem. Any other ideas?

Old 03-14-06, 07:39 AM
G
Put it on a wash cycle with nothing in it.
When its agitating see if the basket is turning at
all. It should stay fixed while washing.

Old 03-16-06, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Gmaxx. I tried your suggestion. When you say it should stay fixed, does that mean it should not move at all? I watched it, and it has a small back and forth action when the agitator turns. I don't know if it is enough to create a problem, and I can't remember if it has always done that or not. You never pay attention to something when it is working properly. What do you think?

Old 03-16-06, 12:39 PM
G
As long as there is not significant movement of the basket and it is staying in one spot that should be ok. If the basket starts ratcheting or rotating in one direction while its agitating then there’s a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: