Rewiring an old electric stove

Old 03-12-06, 01:47 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rewiring an old electric stove

Is it possible to rewire an old stove?
I have an electric range whose two ovens and four burners are dying one after another at an ever-increasing rate. And no, just buying a new burner doesn't do it - the connections are bad. I don't want to buy a new stove because I would really like this one if I had more than one burner and one oven whose thermostat is a joke.
The appliance describes itself - as far as I can tell - as a GE Px7. It might date from as far back as the late 50s, and it's certainly no less than 30 years old.
I should add that I have no reason to assume the house was wired according to code in the first place. It has twelve circuit-breakers (fuses? - in any case, the little glass things you screw into a panel) and everything seems to be associated with a single fuse (hand) labelled "kitchen." Having read some of the more alarming postings I'm beginning to wonder if the stove's problems are caused by the house's wiring. Thanks in advance for advice.

Old 03-12-06, 02:11 PM
R
Why do you think your house wiring may not be up to code? My experience is that houses are generally up to code when they are built. There may be an occasional mistake, but there is usually not anything glaring. The problem is that your house is old. Code when your house was built was quite different than code today.

In the 1950s, electric ranges were 240 volts. They still are today. That fuse labeled kitchen in your fuse box does not power your stove. It power receptacles or lights or both in your kitchen, and perhaps elsewhere in your house.

Yes, your range can be repaired. Replacement parts are available, or newer parts could be retrofitted. How much would this cost? I don't know. I have never had reason to try to repair an electric stove (except a loose wire that was easily fixable). However, the cost of the repairs may be quite high. Could you do this yourself? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how much time you are willing to invest and on your knowledge and skill level.

Old 03-12-06, 10:29 PM
Y
Many thanks for the advice. The reason I think the house's wiring may be wonky is because a) all ten outlets in the kitchen (including the fridge but not the stove) seem to be associated with a single fuse, which strikes me as downright idiotic, considering it means one can't boil a kettle and make toast at the same time. And b) other devices elsewhere in the house such as a ceiling fan/light bulb go off without being switched off and come on again for no apparent reason.

Old 03-13-06, 12:16 AM
Are you in the USA?

What is the big two-digit number seen in that glass fuse for the kitchen?

How about for the other circuits?

Anyway, you stave should be one of the two handles that can be pulled out, usually labeled "RANGE".
Don't pull it to look when you are not in daylight.
It will have two cartridge fuses in it, probably 60 or 50A.

Old 03-13-06, 04:13 PM
Y
Where I am and what sort of fuse it is

I'm in Northern California. The fuse that blew most recently, the one that controls the outlets for all the kitchen appliances - except ostensibly the dishwasher and the disposal - was a 15 amp (Buss Fustat type S). I can't put in a fuse of a higher amperage because it doesn't fit into the socket (the makers of the fuse panel saw me coming). The fuse that presumably governs the stove (although it is labelled "Kitchen Reifer") is a 20 amp. There aren't any handles to be pulled out - indeed, there aren't any handles at all.

Old 03-13-06, 09:06 PM
G
Whats the model number of the stove?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: