1950's Westinghouse stove?!?

Old 03-16-06, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
1950's Westinghouse stove?!?

I bought this house in Oct. and it came w/ a 1950's or 1960's Westinghouse stove. It has a double oven, 4 burners, and a crock pot type thing to cook soups in. Anyway it is about 50 inches wide and to big for my kitchen b/c I am getting ready to do a semi remodel.(new floor, countertop and paint) Where I wanna put the stove its to wide for the wall, but anyway I have heard that there are people out there that want to remodel their kitchen with older appliances. Anyone interested??!! Also how much should I ask for when I sell this thing?? My co workers friend spent 1100 dollars on one that was totally restored. Mine needs work like cleaning and the clock don't work, little things. I even have the original book for it and everything. If anyone has any ideas or is interested let me know. I think I might just list it locally for 50 bucks. Maybe even you come pick it up and its free.!!! Thanks
Chris

Old 03-16-06, 06:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
diyplank,

daaaannnnggggg, i wish i didn't live in a rental, i would drive from hawaii( got a new truck it's supposed to drive thru hell and high water) to get that sucker for free.
i know that this may go against all logical thinking, but why can't you incorporate the old with the new? it would make a good working show piece if not any thing else. i can just see it, the holidays,
turkey roasting, pies baking, dressing getting baked, not to mention the casseroles, all being done at the same time, life is good at the plank's house. o.k. i degressed a little, but my mom was a chef, and i have been cooking since i could pull a chair to stand on, to the stove. if you have to get rid of the piece of history, sell it, don't give it away, it is worth some bucks to a gourmet cook who also has a love for history. just my opinon, wish i was able to use it, old softy i am, i just keep thinking of the history of this oven/stove.

barry

Old 03-17-06, 07:24 AM
I sense some sarcasm in ur reply!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!! Just looking for some info. Seriously would get rid of it for free unless someone tells me that there are people out there to buy it for 300 bucks like I have heard. I am not much of a history buff, my wife is and she even wants to get rid of it. It is just to big for our kitchen. If you come from Hawaii to pick it up I'll pay u 100 bucks how is that!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-17-06, 07:26 AM
By the way if you can't post w/ any info at all don't post at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No need for an idiot on here to spout out stupid sh*t!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great day!!!!! in NC

Old 03-18-06, 04:05 PM
B
dude, i wasn't trying to offer any sarcasm at all, i would love to have the stove/oven combo that you have, they are in a class of themselves, reminds me of the old times where you can really cook, but of course the choice is yours as to weather you want to keep it. i would suggest trying to advertises in the markets of los angeles or new york areas, you may get enough money to redo another room, or to help you pay for your anger management/ ability to read classes. ( now, that is sarcastic).

Old 03-18-06, 06:24 PM
Just the way it was typed I took it wrong plus I had a shi*ty day at work. I appoligize. Thanks

Old 03-19-06, 04:50 PM
B
no harm on foul.
when you upgrade ( i don't know what is in your budget), but i lean toward the jenn-aire side of home kitchen stovetop and ovens, unless you want to upgrade to commercial grade, lots of $$$$$.

barry

Old 03-20-06, 12:36 PM
Well I know I won't be spending anymore than 150 on a used stove!! We are going to do a semi remodel of the kitchen b/c it is still stuck in the 60's and we don't like it. The floor is coming up on us so we are replacing that, painting, going to thoroughly clean the metal ugly cabinets, and then put new coutertop in and get a new sink. Eventually we are going to knock 2 walls out and enclose an archway/doorway. But I don't have 10k setting around so this a temp. fix till we get around to totally gutting it say in 2010 or 11. I would love to get one of those flat burner stove but I heard that they scratch very easily and get damaged easily and they cost a lot to repair if a burner dies?? IS THAT TRUE???? THANKS

Old 03-21-06, 05:24 PM
B
to be honest with you i haven't had that much experiance with the flat top cooking surfaces that you are talking about(but my mom, who is a certified chef, got one and she hates it, her's take on them).
i like the look but she says they are hard to control(she as well as i are used to gas type stoves, in my opinion the best way to go). by the way i don't think you will buy any type of oven/stove anywhere for $150.00 unless it is used. just thought i'd touch base with you, we are here to help.

barry

Old 03-22-06, 11:26 AM
yeah that is all I want is a used one. When we remodel/gut the kitchen in 5 yrs or so we will get a good new one. There is a place down the road that gets scratch and dent from LOWES, SEARS, and other places. My father in law got a side by side fridge/freezer w/ the ice and water dispenser for 350. The only thing that was wrong was a hinge cap on the top of the one door was broken, the side of it had a dent which went along the wall at their house anyway and the grill at the bottom was gone. Hell for 350 i'll buy that. He ended up finding the hinge cover and grill on ebay and paid 10 bucks total to fix it. So that is where I'll be buying a stove here in a week or two. I like this old stove. Its neat b/c its old (1953 I found out) but just to big for what we want to do. Two burners don't work which I found out is probably just the knobs and the center clock don't work either. Just needs that and a good cleaning and it will be like new. Well anyone interested that lives near Williamsport, Pa let me know.

Old 03-22-06, 06:16 PM
B
o.k. get dad in law to ad your oven on e-bay, there is got to be an old fart such as myself, to want to get it (hell, they sell potato chips with elvis, mother mary, picts on it). this unit is too valuable to just let go. if for some reason it doesn't sell, put it in storage, and sit on it , there will be a market for it. it's like money in the bank. but i think the thing will sell high should be enough to remode the kitchen.

talk back at us we like to know whats going on,

barry

Old 03-23-06, 01:04 PM
Hey can you give me your email and I'll send you pics of it this weekend. Maybe you could give me a price to list it on ebay. I am going to start on the kitchen this weekend a little bit so I will be cleaning it up a little and see if I can get the knobs fixed and see what else it might need. Thanks
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: