Whirlpool dryer runs for 10 seconds and stops... also very LOUD!

Old 03-21-06, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool dryer runs for 10 seconds and stops... also very LOUD!

I have the following Whirlpool electric dryer...

model# LER4634EQ2

type# 122-00

...before we moved this dryer worked wonderfully without any issues. It sat for a couple of years in storage and we just moved into our new home and it will run for a 10 - 15 seconds or so and then stop.

After it stops it won't come back on again until it cools down or something - about 5 to 10 minutes? When it's ready to start again you can here a faint click like something has reset and if you hit the start button it will start up no problem - it just won't run longer than 10 - 15 seconds though.

It's VERY LOUD now too - much louder than I remember it ever being. My wife thinks it's much louder as well. Also, if you listen really closely it almost sounds as though there is a bit of a grind right as it starts.

I have taken off the back of the dryer and looked for any obvious obstructions but the only thing I can see are the wires really. The motor, belts, and such must be on the otherside of the back wall.

I cleaned the vent hole and lint collector good and checked the connections of the various wires and switches but nothing looks wrong from the little that I can see from the back.

Just so everyone knows the previous owners have admitted that the house will probably need some rewiring at some point. Since we have been here (two weeks now) the breaker box has been tripped like 10 times.

If anyone has ANY ideas I'd be very glad to give them a go. I'm no electrician but am good with my hands and okay basic electical repairs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RTBrooks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 09:33 AM
G
Based on your description it looks like the dryer or the outlet
itself is hooked up wrong. This could lead to the motor getting 220 volts
when only supposed to be 115. So dont run it untill you check the outlet
voltages.

Old 03-22-06, 10:03 AM
okay, i have a cheap multimeter and it's working as it should, however, i can't seem to get a stable reading on the dryer outlet.

i used a link in another thread to make sure i was testing it correctly but this only gives you a picture - no instructions. here's the link...

http://www.applianceaid.com/electrical_testing_tips.html

...when i put the positive tip of the multimeter on either of the top (red or black) socket holes the meter just jumps around and then goes back to zero eventually.

i've also tried to put the the positive tip on the red or black and the negative on the neutral but this doesn't work either.

can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong. oh yeah, i also put the positive tip on either of the top socket holes and grounded the ground plug to the case of the dryer and the same thing happens.

could the wall socket be hooked up wrong?

TIA (thanks in advanace)

Old 03-22-06, 10:11 AM
oh, i just re-read your post and see you did mention either the dryer or socket.

i'll pull the cover and see if it's the socket and post back and a bit.

rtb

Old 03-22-06, 10:22 AM
G
You should get 220 vac between the two outside slanted terminals.
You should get 115 vac between each of the side terminals and the center one.

Old 03-22-06, 11:38 AM
so you're saying to get the correct reading for the two outside terminals i should put the negative on one outside terminal and the positive tip on the other?

and to get a correct reading of the neutral (middle/bottom) terminal i should put the negative tip of the multimeter on either of the outside/upper terminals and the positive on the bottom/lower terminal?

thanks in advance for clearing this up for me...

in the meantime i did pull off the socket cover and i think i may see the problem...

the wall socket has the black wire running to the left upper terminal - the white wire running the the other upper terminal and the red wire running to the lower/bottom terminal.

...this seems to be wired wrong (at least going by the colors) right?

i used the first picture since this house is over 100 years old...

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switchoutlet/dryer/dryershowall.htm

...however, the dryer looks more like the second picture - with the green wire connecting to the dryer casing on one end and the neutral on the other.

if i change the wall socket wiring around (switch the white and red) wires and connect the dryer what is the worst that could happen? would it blow the dryer fuse or just not start?

thanks so much for working with me on this.

ok, plmk.

Old 03-22-06, 12:35 PM
G
"this seems to be wired wrong (at least going by the colors) right?"

The white (or neutral) belongs on the center terminal. The black and red belong on
the outer two. Also make sure the wires are connected properly in the breaker box.
The white goes to the neutral bar and the black and red go to each pole of the breaker
itself.

Last edited by Gmaxx; 03-22-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 01:07 PM
yes, it looks wrong to me too. here are a couple of pictures of the wall socket with the cover removed and the wiring at the back of the dryer...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/tb40nd/dryeroutlet.jpg - dryer outlet

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/tb40nd/dryerwiring.jpg - wiring at back of dryer

...like you said though the colors could just be mixed up on the wall socket with the red being neutral and the white being one of the two live 220 terminals.

i'm gonna do a multimeter test now... i'll post back.

thanks GMaxx for all of your help.

rtb

Old 03-22-06, 01:33 PM
WOW!

believe it or not the wall socket tests like it's wired wrong!

when i test between the two slanted upper/outside terminals (black and white on this socket) i get exactly 120V.

when i test between the left slanted upper terminal and the bottom (black and red on this socket) i get exactly 240V.

and when i test between the slanted right upper and the bottom terminals (white and red on this socket) i get 120V again.

...so should i try and rewire the socket or call an electrician? that wouldn't be DIY'ing it would it

seriously though - if i try and rewire the wall socket should i kill all the power in the house or just the part that says "Dryer"? it's one of the double breaker switches (bridged?) in the breaker box?

thanks so much GMaxx for all of your help. i'll listen for your reply before doing anything further.

oh yeah, since i have already tried to run the dryer in this backwards socket - is the motor now fried? it's very loud and kinda grinds when i ran it yesterday... i tried it on this darn thing like 4 or 5 times!

Old 03-22-06, 03:31 PM
G
"so should i try and rewire the socket or call an electrician? that wouldn't be DIY'ing it would it"

If youre going to attempt it shut the breaker off and then use the meter to
make sure that the outlet is actually dead. Then just switch the wires so that
both the black and red wires are hooked to the slanted terminals.

"oh yeah, since i have already tried to run the dryer in this backwards socket - is the motor now fried? it's very loud and kinda grinds when i ran it yesterday... i tried it on this darn thing like 4 or 5 times!"

The motor may be just fine. But you wont know for sure untill the outlet is wired properly and
you run it through a cycle.

Old 03-22-06, 11:08 PM
She's purrrrring like a kitten!

Thanks so much GMaxx!!

After turning off the breaker (dryer only) I grabbed the multimeter and tested the socket terminals and they all read zero so I went ahead and swapped the wires. Well I had to restrip all of them because the red wire was so short it wouldn't reach the upper terminal so I just stripped them all and started over from scratch - pretty easy dealings from there on in.

Thanks again m8 - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Awesome job DIY.com - Awesome!

rtb