Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Whirpool Electric Dryer Timer won't advance no matter what setting? Please help.

Whirpool Electric Dryer Timer won't advance no matter what setting? Please help.

Old 03-23-06, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I have the following Whirlpool electric dryer...

model# LER4634EQ2

type# 122-00

...and just yesterday GMaxx helped me figure out why my dryer was so loud and kept stopping after about 10 - 15 seconds of running. It turned out that the dryer socket was wired wrong believe it or not - but after getting the socket rewired i's running like it should... well, for the most part.

The only problem now is the timer won't advance no matter what setting I set it on. On this particular model there are two knobs on the top part of the dryer. On the left is the temperature/drying mode selector and on the right is the start button - that's it.

Before we got the wall socket figured out I must have tried to run the dryer while connected to the backwards wired socket 4 or 5 times before I gave up and posted here.

I guess it's quite possible that while it was connected to the bad socket it screwed something up although everything else seems to be working as it should. We dried a load last night on a 60 minute timed-dry cycle and long after an hour it continued to run and you could tell the clothes had been dried way to long.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I did notice that the heater element would glow for a few minutes and then go out after a 'click' and then glow again with a another click. If this is normal please disregard me mentioning it as the main concern is with the timer.

I did pull the back of the control panel off and the selector / timer assembly has the following information on the top sticker...

Model - M460-G (After numerous searches it seems this is a fairly common model)
1/3HP, 15/7.5A, 125/250VAC
25A, 250VAC (HTR)
CKT. TM-WB. 0.25A. 125/250VAC
CKT. TM-OR, BU-V, 0.25A, 125/250VAC
013-96347 9021B3

...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

RTB

Last edited by tb40nd; 03-23-06 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 02:48 PM
G
“The only problem now is the timer won't advance no matter what setting I set it on. On this particular model there are two knobs on the top part of the dryer. On the left is the temperature/drying mode selector and on the right is the start button - that's it.”

The motor that advances the timer runs on 120vac just as the drive motor does. The main difference is that the timer motor doesn’t have a protector on it like the drive motor does so chances are it was burned out while the outlet was hooked up wrong.

The way to find out for sure is to pull the rear cover off the top console. Then locate the two wires that go to the timer motor. Here’s a pic that shows the part..

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=548368

Now put the dryer on timed cycle and start it up.
Set your meter like before so you can check for 120VAC. Carefully touch the probes to the metal terminals that the timer motor wires are connected to. You should get about 120 Volts. If you do then the motor is bad. You will have to replace the timer.

"Oh yeah, I'm not sure if this is normal or not but I did notice that the heater element would glow for a few minutes and then go out after a 'click' and then glow again with a another click. If this is normal please disregard me mentioning it as the main concern is with the timer."

The heater is supposed to cycle on and off.

Last edited by Gmaxx; 03-23-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 02:59 PM
Thanks G... I'll give it a go and post back in a bit.

Old 03-23-06, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry GMaxx, can you give me a little more help... which terminals on the timer assembly to I touch with the probes?

There are quite a few. You said the motor terminals - I'm just not sure which terminals on the timer are going to the motor.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-06, 03:47 PM
G
There should only be two wires for the timer motor.
Simply start at the motor and trace each wire and see which terminal it leads to.
Thats the terminal you will connect the probe to get your reading.

Heres a pic..
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/Genx65/timer1.jpg

Old 03-23-06, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gmaxx
There should only be two wires for the timer motor.
Simply start at the motor and trace each wire and see which terminal it leads to.
Thats the terminal you will connect the probe to get your reading.

Heres a pic..
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/Genx65/timer1.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's testing at 115V so it's fried right? Man, I can't believe someone would be that careless. I really don't get it... how could anyone have successfully run their dryer from that socket?

This blows big time!

From the first pic it looks like a replacement is $70? That's rape for just the timer - I don't think the dryer was but $200.

Thanks a bunch GMaxx... do you know if it's possible to grab one of these used off ebay or something? Or would that be more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks again for all of your help m8!

Old 03-23-06, 04:53 PM
G
“Well, it's testing at 115V so it's fried right?”

Yes..the timer motor is fried.

“Man, I can't believe someone would be that careless. I really don't get it..”

I’ve seen it happen before.

“how could anyone have successfully run their dryer from that socket?”

You don’t for very long.

“From the first pic it looks like a replacement is $70? That's rape for just the timer”

Actually that’s about average for a timer. Just be glad you don’t have an electronic control panel to
deal with. Because they would be a lot more money.

“Thanks a bunch GMaxx... do you know if it's possible to grab one of these used off ebay or something? Or would that be more trouble than it's worth?”

Just for kicks just see if you can spot a 6 or 7 digit number on the motor itself. I have had a couple cases where I was able to get just the motor. But now? I don’t know.

Old 03-23-06, 05:05 PM
“Well, it's testing at 115V so it's fried right?”

Just for kicks just see if you can spot a 6 or 7 digit number on the motor itself. I have had a couple cases where I was able to get just the motor. But now? I don’t know.
if you mean this part...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/tb40nd/timer1a.jpg

...i would have to remove the assembly and just pop that part out right?

if you do mean that silver part - would something like this work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washer-Dryer-Dishwasher-Timer-Advance-Motor-414-381-20_W0QQitemZ7542554744QQcategoryZ71254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...that's if i can find a model matching the one on my dryer right?

LMK G

Old 03-23-06, 06:02 PM
okay i popped of the motor and found quite a few numbers.

there were four or five sets of 5 digit numbers and only one 6 digit number which is...

9019M3

...not sure if this is what you need though.

just incase here are all the five digit numbers...

3A851

...the 6 digit number above was on the back (part up against the assembly - had to remove to see it).

ok, hope you can point me in the right direction. either way thanks so much for everything.

rtb

Old 03-23-06, 06:13 PM
G
...i would have to remove the assembly and just pop that part out right?

Yes the motor is the silver part.
You would just need to unplug the dryer and then disconnect the two wires from the timer (make sure you make note where they go).
Then remove the two small screws that hold just the motor itself in place and then it should come out.

“f you do mean that silver part - would something like this work...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Washer-Dryer-Dishwasher-Timer-Advance-Motor-414-381-20_W0QQitemZ7542554744QQcategoryZ71254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
...that's if i can find a model matching the one on my dryer right?”

The things that you would need to make sure are correct is the gear size/ number of teeth on the motor gear so that it would properly mate up with the gear in the timer. Whether the gear is made of plastic or metal wont matter as long as everything else about the gear is the same. Next
make sure that the motor direction and rpm are the same.

Old 03-23-06, 06:19 PM
hey, i've been searching mcculloch_man's auctions as he's parting out 50 washers and dryers and came across a couple that are really close to what i have...

http://cgi.ebay.com/M006-Washer-Dryer-Timer-Advance-Motor-ALL-BRANDS_W0QQitemZ7597929770QQcategoryZ71254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...this is for a M006 (my timer motor has this number on it as well) - but mine is only a single gear i think as it doesn't have that larger white sprocket - just the smaller brass-looking one.

i double checked my motor and although it doesn't have the second 'gear/sprocket', the assembly does have an opening for it.

also, my timer motor also has the following specs...

115VAC - 60Htz - 3W

...my question is whether or not i'd be able to use this as a replacement or would the second 'gear' be a problem even though the assembly has an opening for it to go into - so it should fit.

thanks some more for all your help GMaxx.

rtb

Old 03-23-06, 06:44 PM
G
Couldn’t find much else on the timer motor itself. You would have to contact the people on that ebay site you showed me yourself and give him all of your info maybe they can help.

The whirlpool part number for the whole timer is
3976569 I did find this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-DRYER-TIMER-3976569-WHIRLPOOL-KENMORE-ETC-RECYCLED_W0QQitemZ7597841139QQcategoryZ20714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Old 03-23-06, 06:53 PM
Couldn’t find much else on the timer motor itself. You would have to contact the people on that ebay site you showed me yourself and give him all of your info maybe they can help.

The whirlpool part number for the whole timer is
3976569 I did find this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-DRYER-TIMER-3976569-WHIRLPOOL-KENMORE-ETC-RECYCLED_W0QQitemZ7597841139QQcategoryZ20714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Thanks a bunch GMaxx!

I think I found it though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/M006-Washer-Dryer-Timer-Advance-Motor-MOST-BRANDS_W0QQitemZ7601870609QQcategoryZ71254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

...this one has the single-gear! I just need to count the teeth on the gear on my timer right? If it's the same model (m006) and is single gear wouldn't it also be the same rpm and direction?

TIA.

Old 03-23-06, 06:55 PM
J
We just recently bought a Roper(Whirlpool's cheap brand) washer & dryer.. Its still pretty new.. but we have same problem with timer on our dryer.. So I can only dry clothes if I'm going to be home.. Sux to not be able to just turn it on and head out for the day..

Old 03-23-06, 07:35 PM
G
“this one has the single-gear! I just need to count the teeth on the gear on my timer right?”

Yes it needs to match in order for it to properly mate up with the other gears in the timer.

“If it's the same model (m006) and is single gear wouldn't it also be the same rpm and direction?”

It should be but I’m not 100% sure. Its been awhile.

Old 03-23-06, 08:06 PM
yes it does suck!

i've been doing a bunch of searches for similar issues and see a ton of posts where people have left their dryer running and when they got back from where ever the dryer was still running and from that point on it wouldn't produce heat anymore.

i'm no expert but it sure seems as though if you aren't careful (or your timer blows) and your dryer run too long it could easily cause more serious / costly problems.

i'm so glad i found this place - wish it would have been sooner really.

you never know how much you need a forum like this until you're starring the end to replace some major appliance square in the face.

hey Jenn, you may want to check this guy on ebay out - he's parting out a bunch of appliances and probably has a timer you can use if not the exact one.

Thanks G, I counted my teeth and it's a match - 12 and 12. I'm gonna email the guy and see when I can this.

I'll update if/when I get it running normally again.

rtb

Old 04-24-06, 08:25 PM
Soooo sorry for late update!

I'm so sorry for not giving you an update G... you were such a great help with this successful repair.

I ended up getting the timer off ebay... got it installed in no time and the dryer is working as it should again.

Thank you so much for all of your help with this - couldn't have done it without you.

I'm a member of many forums (mostly computers) and am very good about updating but we just moved and I'm still working on getting internet service set up. I'm currently connecting via hotspots in our surrounding area... the closest one is like 5 miles away so it's been a hassle to connect lately to say the least.

The only reason I remembered is I am currently having a problem with our electric stove and was about to post about that and the old light bulb finally lit up...

Thanks again everyone... hopefully, the stove repair will go as well as this did.

RTB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: