Frigidaire Refrigerator problem

Old 04-02-06, 08:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Refrigerator problem

Model# FPCI-170T-7
Noticed last night everything was warm in the fridge. Moved the essential stuff to the downstairs refrig. This morning everything left in the upstairs ridge is warm, and compressor is not running at all. I have power to the refrig, as light is still on. Compressor showed continuity across windings, and nothing to ground. Did notice I'm only getting 42 volts at the clickson off each side, to ground. My knowledge in this area is minimal, so any help would be appreciated. Thought it could be defrost timer or a relay, but am unsure how to check these items. Thanks

Old 04-02-06, 08:59 AM
G
Before you start tearing the unit down too far do this. Make sure everything is hooked up and the thermostat is turned on. Locate the defrost timer, it will be underneath the unit or inside of the frig section behind the controls. Turn the dial stem of the timer clockwise. Does the unit start?

Old 04-02-06, 09:26 AM
S
Yes and no, after some tuff turning of the dial, the evaportor fan (freezer) came on, but not the compressor.

Old 04-02-06, 11:05 AM
G
If the evaperator fan is running then so should the compressor.

Old 04-02-06, 01:46 PM
S
Your right. Dummy me forgot to hook the compressor back up after I ohmed the windings out. It did start up again after turning the defrost timer and plugging it back in.
Does the compressor run when it is in defrost mode, (kinda of like the way a heat pump works, reverse?) Or does the fan just circulate within?
Does it sound like its the timer then? Thanks

Old 04-02-06, 04:02 PM
G
“Does the compressor run when it is in defrost mode, (kinda of like the way a heat pump works, reverse?) Or does the fan just circulate within?”

No..when it goes into defrost it shuts both the compressor and fans off and turns on a defrost heater. The cycle usually lasts between 20 to 30 minuets. Then the timer puts it back into refrigeration mode. If you can advance the timer by hand and it returns to normal operation then what’s happening is the timer is sticking in defrost cycle. If this is the case you will need to replace it.

Old 04-02-06, 05:05 PM
S
Thanks, a new timer it is then.

Old 04-02-06, 05:12 PM
G
Originally Posted by Steve_in_Ohio
Thanks, a new timer it is then.
Not much left available for this one. It might even be one
of GM made units.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=12782