Amana Commercial Quality 7 Cycle Dryer Stops working

Old 04-16-06, 10:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana Commercial Quality 7 Cycle Dryer Stops working

Hi,
My Dryer will not work after about 2 loads of laundry have finished. The timer ticks away but no heat or tumble. After a while (the last time was 1/2 an hour) it starts to work again.

My assumtion is that it has to do with it getting hot, so I took a look at the exhaust and there is no buildup in either the hose or the dryer side -at least not as far as I can see into the dryer.

Then I considered it might be a thermal fuse, but I don't know for sure if I even have one...and it fixes itself...so I assume that's out too. Maybe some other type of safety shut off in this machine?

So I'm pretty much lost, and if anyone can save me from replacing the dryer I will be extremely thankful.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Old 04-17-06, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like the motor is overheating and the thermal cut-off in it is reseting after some time to cool down....

Old 04-17-06, 06:23 PM
C
Originally Posted by bambiblaster
Sounds like the motor is overheating and the thermal cut-off in it is reseting after some time to cool down....
Assuming this is the case, do you have any thoughts on what I might do to repair it? Is a new motor necessary, or is it possible that a thorough cleaning might help?

Chris

Old 04-18-06, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Usually once they have overheated they ar shot....

Old 10-15-06, 04:36 PM
C
Originally Posted by bambiblaster
Sounds like the motor is overheating and the thermal cut-off in it is reseting after some time to cool down....Usually once they have overheated they ar shot....
It's been a long time since this answer was posted. The thing has been working fine since then, up until about a week ago and it is back to shutting off after about 1/2 or so.

My question is: You said once they have overheated they are shot. Do you mean the cut-off fuse is shot or that the motor itself is shot? I found the thermal fuse online for about $25. If this is all I need to do to fix it, then I'll order the part right away. However, if I am going to need to replace a motor, then I need to go buy a new unit.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-15-06, 05:21 PM
D
Amana dryer

The thermal fuse is a one shot fuse. It does not re-set itself.
It is designed to blow if the high limit thermostat fails to do its job & shut heating element off if operating thermostat fails so I doubt thats your problem. Dryer would not do anything untill fuse is replaced. I agree with bambiblaster. It sounds like the motor is overheating due to bad bearings. It has thermal protection built in to shut motor off when overheated & resets itself when cooled off. Dave

Old 10-15-06, 05:26 PM
C
Originally Posted by dave6466
The thermal fuse is a one shot fuse. It does not re-set itself.
It is designed to blow if the high limit thermostat fails to do its job & shut heating element off if operating thermostat fails so I doubt thats your problem. Dryer would not do anything untill fuse is replaced. I agree with bambiblaster. It sounds like the motor is overheating due to bad bearings. It has thermal protection built in to shut motor off when overheated & resets itself when cooled off. Dave
Thanks for the reply. Should I assume that it will probably be more cost effective to replace the dryer with a new one? Is it possible to just have it repaired? Finally, is it even safe to continue using the dryer at this point?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-15-06, 05:38 PM
D
Amana dryer

Motors can run between $100-$150 + service call. Depends what you want to spend on repair vs. new dryer. I would give make & model to repair shop & get estimate on motor replacement & go from there. Its ok to use your dryer. Motor will just shut off when it overheats. Over time though it will probably run less & less till it shuts off. Dave

Old 10-15-06, 06:05 PM
C
Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-12-06, 02:03 PM
M
Question

I have an Amana Model LEC30AW. I have recently replaced the heating element since it was broken. When I received the new part, the wiring configuration was slightly different from the previous component. I have reconnected the wires in the order of colors that existed on the original unit. The dryer works well, but instead of cooling down during the last 20 minutes of the normal cycle, the tempature increases, to the point that it turns off after doing two loads in a row.

I suspect that my connections are not done properly, but I cant find a wiring diagram.

Could anyone help me.

Originally Posted by clsiburt
Hi,
My Dryer will not work after about 2 loads of laundry have finished. The timer ticks away but no heat or tumble. After a while (the last time was 1/2 an hour) it starts to work again.

My assumtion is that it has to do with it getting hot, so I took a look at the exhaust and there is no buildup in either the hose or the dryer side -at least not as far as I can see into the dryer.

Then I considered it might be a thermal fuse, but I don't know for sure if I even have one...and it fixes itself...so I assume that's out too. Maybe some other type of safety shut off in this machine?

So I'm pretty much lost, and if anyone can save me from replacing the dryer I will be extremely thankful.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: