Refrigerator water supply tube under floor question

Old 05-06-06, 11:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator water supply tube under floor question

I just bought an apartment with a brand new Frigidaire Gallery series refrigerator. The ice maker did not work and the super came over and said that it was just the water supply not being on. But when he went to turn it on under the sink on the other side of the narrow, NY kitchen,he saw that the supply tube was plastic. He says that since the previous owner installed a plastic tube under the stone floor, instead of copper, that over time the plastic will break and leak into the downstairs apt. Is this true? At present I have left the water to the ice maker turned off, but I'd like to use this brand new appliance's features that I paid for. Is it safe to turn on or do I have to have the floor torn up and a copper supply tube installed?
Thanks,
K.Hall

Old 05-06-06, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
KHall, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Look at the icemaker supply kits and you will find that most of them have plastic tubing. Although I prefer copper, I doubt it will leak. This depends on what protection was provided when it was installed. It could rub against the flooring or material under it and get a leak if not properly installed. Even a copper line could leak if it is rubbing against concrete or stone flooring. Good luck.

Old 05-06-06, 01:13 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks

Thanks so much. I don't know if the tubing is properly installed under the stone floor, and I don't have a lot of faith in the previous owner's contractor. But I think I'll take my chances with the plastic tube.
-KHall

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: