Kenmore front loading washer #417.41142000

Old 05-05-06, 11:36 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore front loading washer #417.41142000

First trouble we have had with this machine in 5yrs it has no other history...

there are two parts to the knob assembly that turns the washer on/chooses cycle/time delay start/etc... the inner knob pushes in and turns to select cycle, the outer part is like a pointer or indicator with a line on it to see what cycle you are choosing, when you pull the inner knob back out the machine starts and runs through the selected cycle...

the inner knob has stopped advancing the outer pointer... when you push it in you feel a clicking but doesnt engage the pointer assembly... if you advance the pointer manually the cycle begins, fills then nothing happens, if you continue to advance the pointer manually the tub drains then nothing again, move it some more and it reaches the next fill/rinse cycle and fills and stops and finally advancing it again drains the tub and then nothing more...

the door lock works, door lock light comes on during this process...

the trouble shooting guide steps you through this process which we did:

1. check for power by advancing the timer knob to drain, pump runs and works as decribed above...

2. check for motor movement by removing drive belt and run regular wash cycle, (motor did not move) if motor does not move check for poor connections at timer line switch or door lock switch, checked both and connections look ok...

(next step quoted from tech sheet)

3. Measure Voltages:

Remove the six pin plug from the speed control unit. Measure the voltage between pins 5 & 6 on the harness. If the meter reads 0 check the connection in the timer line switch or the door lock. If the meter reads 120 Vac then go to step 4.

this is my question: i was assuming this meant the harness is the block on the speed control unit, not the plug at the end of the wiring... i tested the block on the speed control unit (which is pictured in step 3. of this tech sheet) the meter did read 0 and i have removed the timer assuming it is the problem...

with both knob parts removed i grab the inner threaded rod with pliers and push it in (just as the inner knob must do) and it doesnt engage the selector assembly this way so i assume the knobs are not the problem...

anyone have a different idea? does it make sense that the timer switch is the problem even though advancing it manually activates the fill and drain but not the wash and spin?

getting a timer to test this theory is an expensive next step, honestly if it is something else i think we can live with having to advance the selector manually...

thanks

Old 05-06-06, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Gears on the timer motor are bad need a timer

Old 05-06-06, 10:48 PM
O
thanks tons Bambiblaster!

is that likely the whole problem?

is that consistent with the stopping after fill symptom?

shouldnt we be able to run through all the different actions of the cycle by manually turning the outer pointer/indicator?

i have to have the timer shipped internationally (wont try to use a major appliance in a foreign country again!) so if i can diagnose it further and parts are nec. then i could have them shipped together with the timer... save $$ & time!

thanks again

OutofTown

Old 05-07-06, 01:39 PM
The water pressure switch huts off the water at the proper level if he time is not enaging it will stay at that spot and not continue

Old 05-14-06, 04:02 AM
O
New timer doesnt advance either...

seems like the problem still exists even though now the timer knobs function as they should...

we can:

load laundry, set timer to wash, pull knob, door lock light comes on, washer fills, seems like it fills to the proper level, then nothing more happens... no click or noises just silent...

if we advance the timer manually the next thing that happens is it rinses and drains, when finished draining it just keeps running like that, as though its still draining, but only a few drips come out after the majority of the water is drained (which seems like it takes a normal amount of time 3-4mins to drain most all the water in the tub) after several minutes like that we just shut it off, it doesnt advance further on its own...

if we advance it further manually only another rinse and drain occur...

anyone?

thanks!

Old 05-16-06, 04:34 PM
can you remove the motor control board and check to see if the fuse is blown.....

Old 05-16-06, 11:12 PM
O
thanks for the lead... i will try that tonite...

i tried to look at it without removing the board but it isnt a clear glass fuse, it has 2 metal ends like a typical fuse but the center section is opague white... also could not remove the fuse from its cradle on first attempt...

thanks

Old 05-17-06, 05:15 PM
Its a permanant fuse.. check to see if it has continuity...

Old 05-17-06, 09:41 PM
O
I checked the fuse at 15 and 150 mA no life...

It was hard to get out, but not impossible... like a normal buss fuse, just very tight.

the troubleshooting guide says if this fuse is bad then replace the whole board! is that correct? ouch! another $150- for this board...

thanks again

Old 05-18-06, 04:46 PM
Sorry to say yes thats the way we do it... take board to a tv shop and ask them if they can put a new one in...

Old 05-18-06, 07:25 PM
O
i'm not able to find a 12A 250V fuse right off... been to many shops and the only thing that is close is a 10A... is there any point to trying the 10A ? i'm still hunting...

Old 05-19-06, 06:31 AM
O
Any idea if this takes a fast acting or a slow acting fuse?

thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: