Ice dispenser on Whirlpool quit working

Old 05-11-06, 11:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice dispenser on Whirlpool quit working

Hello

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator model ED22PE. The ice dispenser quit all of the sudden. Neither the crushed or regular ice is dispensed. It makes no noise, nothing. I took out the tray that holds the ice and removed all the ice and washed it out that did not help. The water dispenser still works fine. The refrigerator is 5 Years old this Aug. What is the most likely cause or what steps can I take to figure this out? Also the ice maker has quit making ice. That happened sometime after the ice dispenser quit. I checked the metal hanger like switch that turns it on and off and it is in the down position.

Thanks

Old 11-06-06, 10:31 AM
J
Well I finally got around to fixing the ice maker. It turned out to be the control Module located right in the front of the ice maker. I still have not gotten the dispensor working but will figure that out as well.

For others who might be having a problem with an ice maker here are some tips.

MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE APPLIANCE BEFORE WORKING ON IT.
First there are two kings of ice makers the older type with seperate parts you can replace and the one like I had with a control module on it.

There are also water valves which let the water in. That is a good place to start test them by disconnecting the wires and using an OHM meter. If they check out look at the control module you can to a visual inspection by removing it and then use the OHM meter as needed. That solved the ice maker issue for me so I thought I would share it as this forum does not have a lot of answers only questions.

Old 11-06-06, 01:48 PM
J
Smile

Looked at the dispenser. Took the front cover off located on the fridge door. This is where the switches are housed. The plastic that held the switch in place was broke. Fixed that and the dispenser works fine.

Old 11-06-06, 03:27 PM
D
Ice dispenser

Glad you could figure out your problem & share it on here. I have to disagree with your comment though about only questions being posted & not many answers. There are many qualified service techs that get on here whenever possible to try & help out. Sometimes there aren't enough hours in a day. We get on when we can & try to offer suggestions for free. I believe we saved quite a few people a service call & the satisfaction of repairing their own appliances.

Old 11-06-06, 08:24 PM
J
Originally Posted by dave6466
Glad you could figure out your problem & share it on here. I have to disagree with your comment though about only questions being posted & not many answers. There are many qualified service techs that get on here whenever possible to try & help out. Sometimes there aren't enough hours in a day. We get on when we can & try to offer suggestions for free. I believe we saved quite a few people a service call & the satisfaction of repairing their own appliances.
Well no offence was intended i just never got one reply to the question so that is all I can go by is my experience. I also noticed many others going unanswered back when I posted this. Glad to hear the appliance threads are getting answered better.

Old 09-03-08, 05:42 AM
K
Question ice dispenser not working.

Seems that there's no water going to the try, I'm not sure of this though.
The RED light on the right by the on/off switch blinks in the following patter. 1 LONG flash then 1 SHORT flash.
Water is getting to the water dispenser on the door.
It's a Whirlpool Side X Side unit.
Ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: