Washer Spins, no aggitation though

Old 05-13-06, 06:56 AM
A
Arl
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a wash machine that won't aggitate. Spinning does not seem to be a problem. (Motor works) While the washer is in aggitation cycle, you can hear just buzzing from the motor with no action. If left long enough, I can hear the motor sort of wind down and possibly smell a little.
Wondering if there is someone that could help me trouble shoot this problem and possibly aid with info on repairing.

GE Model# WJSR2080T5WW
Click on the link below to see a detailed parts list with pictures.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse.com/general-electric-parts/General-Electric-Washing-Machine-Parts/General-Electric-Parts-WJSR2080T5WW.cfm?ad=google

Any info is greatly appreciated as leaving the house to do the laundry is getting a little old.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-06, 06:03 PM
M
This site can e very useful. Hopefully it's a simple repair like an agitator. Some GE brands with belt drives are a hassle to repair
good luck

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_11_1.asp

Old 05-15-06, 08:36 AM
U
This is a simple fix... the plastic gear/hub that holds your center agitator has stripped out from overloading your washer... stop that!!

Start to disassemble the agitator from the top down and you will get to it within 3-4 pieces being removed. It may be stuck on there pretty good so you may have to pry it off...

Its easy... part is very inexpensive.

Good luck...

Old 05-16-06, 03:31 PM
A
Arl
OK, thanks for the responses! When I went down to take apart the agitator from the top, the only thing I could get off was the fabric softener cup. Once the cup i removed, I see no bolt to loosen. Grabbing the agitator by the base and pulling did not work either. I can see the dogs below a plastic insert in the sleeve of the agitator but cannot get the insert out either.

Anyone have any ideas as to hot to get the agitator out of my specific washer? Thanks for the help thus far!

Old 05-17-06, 12:13 PM
D
GE washer

Sorry Arl. No dogs in a GE agitator. Thats Whirlpools big idea.
As USMCBay stated, the agitator sometimes needs alot of pulling to remove. Grab ahold of the base of agitator & yank on it for all your worth. Try thinking of how much that last tank of gas cost. That should give you an extra incentive. Once agitator is off, remove bolt on Agitator Coupling & pull off to replace. Replacement part is WH43x10009. Dave

Old 05-17-06, 04:45 PM
A
Arl
Lightbulb

Thanks Dave. Thoughts of Oil Tycoons dancing in my head gave me all the strength needed to get the agitator off. (and knowing that I wasn't going to break it...)
After pulling off what is called the "Air Bell", I checked the teeth on it. They seemed good with no evidence of strippage. I reinstalled the agitator and started the washer up to take a look at the motor. Motor seems fine. While in agitation mode, I saw the motor spinning as it does when the washer is in spin cycle. I cycled the motor on and off with the lid of the washer noticing that on each start up, the belt wanted to move for a splt second. I think I may have a transmision issue or something.

Any other ideas on what to check in the name of troubleshooting?

Thanks for your help so far Dave and others.

Old 05-17-06, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the belt tight?

Old 05-17-06, 05:57 PM
D
GE washer

Can you turn the belt by hand in the direction it tries to turn in the agitator cycle? With the power off of course. If not, could be a tranny problem. Also, another thing to check. Take wiring plug off motor & look for a bad connection either at plug or motor terminals. I've seen them get hot & needed to clean them up to work again. Dave

Old 05-18-06, 11:28 AM
A
Arl
Cool

I will be sure to check the terminals. The belt seems to be tight. The motor and belt work great in the spin cycle. This is why I think I may be dealing with trans problem. Of course nothing can be easy...

Old 05-18-06, 07:01 PM
A
Arl
Motor terminations look clean. Checked if the belt moved freely in agitation mode. (While the washer was off of course.) Compaired that to how the belt moved in spin mode. (Exactly the same.) Anything else to check before I bite the bullet and call service? Thanks for tuffin this out with me so far!

Old 05-19-06, 03:20 PM
D
GE Washer

Sorry Arl, I'm running out of ideas. Could possibly be a motor problem. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the motor spins one direction for agitation & reverses for spin. Since you said before you could hear the motor hum & then a hot smell from it I'm assuming the timer is sending power to the motor to agitate.
Try taking the belt off & see if motor turns in agitate cycle. If it does but won't with the belt on I would suspect the motor. Dave

Old 05-25-06, 06:13 AM
M
It may still be the coupler/drive hub. When you take them off and look at them, the grooves don't appear to be bad, but up inside about a half inch they are all wore out. If you can spin the agitator, this is the problem. Let me know what you find.

Old 09-10-06, 09:19 PM
GE washer won't agitate

I am having a similar (if not the same) problem with my GE washer. I have model WCSR2080B2WW diagrams available here: http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse.com/general-electric-parts/model_view_cats.cfm?id=50464).

I've taken off the washer's front cover and watched it operate. All inside parts look fairly new and clean (the washer was given to my family--I estimate it is only a few years old).

When the motor operates to spin clothes dry, it spins in one direction and the clutch assembly turns the belt and in turn the transmmission and the basket. Pump works fine.

The motor seems to work fine when it spins in the other direction (to cause the agitation), but the outside of the clutch isn't grabbed by the inside, so the belt never turns. The inside-of-the-clutch parts spin against the outside-of-the-clutch part which heats up fairly quickly. I've taken apart the clutch assembly and it does not seem to have any obvious malfunction.

I don't know if the clutch assembly is not working correctly (i.e., the "shoes" aren't expanding enough to grab the outside clutch assembly (which would then turn the belt to the transmission) or perhaps the there is something wrong with the transmission and brake assembly that is jamming it up. I haven't yet taken off the transmission and brake assembly. Was hoping for some advice before I went that far.

Any help appreciated.

Old 09-11-06, 05:40 AM
M
Try turning the transmission pulley in the direction it needs to go for agitation. my guess is that the tranny is locked up. It should turn easier in that direction than it does for the spin cycle. I haven't seen the clutch work one way and not the other, usually if they are bad they are bad. Let me know what you figure out.

Old 09-11-06, 10:25 AM

Thanks for quick response.

The transmission definitely resists turning in the agitator direction.

It may be a couple of days before I can get the transmission out.

I'll post back with what I find.

Old 09-11-06, 03:59 PM
M
I don't think you need to try to get the trans out. It is not repairable. It is probably $160-$200 to get a new tranny and I would never put that much into those machines. Better off to bite the bullet and buy something else. Let me know what you do and if you need advice getting it apart. You need to take the whole tub/trans assembly out of the case and turn it upside down. Make sure you take the agitator and drive bell/coupler out first.

Old 09-11-06, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that one. I may go out now to shop for a new machine :-( One more expense!

Old 09-27-06, 07:53 PM
Maytagman

sorry it took me a while to get back. I threw out the old (cheap) washer. Bought a new (better) one.

Old 09-13-07, 06:35 PM
M
Can't remove air bell coupler

I have a GE Washer (WCSE23100). During the spin cycle a loud clacking noise occurs. The basket is spinning, but not ot full speed plus it's clacking. I was trying to take the basket and tub off to make sure everyting is put together well. I have removed the air bell coupler bolt, but the coupler will not come off. Help?

Old 09-13-07, 07:01 PM
M
Most of the time the drive coupler/bell comes off easy. I have had a couple come off very hard. One I had to split with a chistle. There is a metal shield that screws to the bottom of the outer tub above the motor, check that to see if it is loose at all. I have seen those rattle and make alot of noise during spin. Also make sure the noise isn't coming from the pump. I have taken tons of bra underwires nails ect. out of washer pumps. If the water isn't getting out fast enough it won't spin out either.

Old 09-13-07, 07:39 PM
M
There is a sheild, but its pretty tight. When the basket starts spinning, the noise starts (clack clack clack clack clack......). Almost as if the the basket is not keeping up with the speed of the motor/transmission or something slipped of track. The noise is coming from under the washer, so I thought I'd take it apart and see if there was anything noticably wrong.

Old 09-14-07, 03:58 PM
M
Washer making clacking noise

My GE washer is making a calcking noise during the spin cycle. The basket will spin, the faster it spins the harder and louder the clacks become. during each clack the tub jolts along. I check below and the motor does not spin in a uniformed fashion, it jolts about a 1/4 of a turn then stops (this is when the clack happens) then it will spin another 1/4 turn (clack again) so on an so forth. Is my motor bad? It looks brand new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: