Electronic Range Control - Failed Thermistor on Old GE Oven

Old 05-13-06, 09:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electronic Range Control - Failed Thermistor on Old GE Oven

Lived in our house now for a couple of years. We have an older model drop-in GE Oven that is flashing an error code on the control panel. Error code is F1. I have looked this up and it says that I need to replace the Electronic Range control because I have a failed Thermistor. So seeing that I am somewhat handy (contrary to what my wife thinks), I thought I would seek out the part and replace it myself. But as you can guess, they don't make it anymore. Here come the questions...

1. Besides an annoying beeping that only stops if you hit the cancel button (and usually starts up again), the oven seems to function fine. What problems, safety and otherwise, am I risking if I continue to roll the dice with this problem.
2. Anyone have any thoughts as to where I could find this part? Tried some appliance part places in the internet and ebay but no luck so far... Any insight on this would be a huge help.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice...

OH I almost forgot..MODEL NUMBER IS JDPGOL8BG

Old 05-22-06, 11:37 AM
E
Range ERC Clock Fault Codes

What is the part # on the ERC ? I have seen this problem before and most of the time it is the Electronic Range Control (ERC) but sometimes it is the touchpad. If it is your ERC you can get it fixed by Stove Clock Repair if it is no longer available.

Range ERC Clock Fault Codes :

http://www.american-appliance.com/service_pages/range_fault_codes/clock_fault_codes.htm

If your oven is flashing -F1- check out the ( The clock on my STOVE started flashing F1 ) section in the above web link!

NOTE: Some models incorporate the touch pad and the clock as one part.

Old 08-19-06, 12:59 PM
D
Question replace/repair ERC electronic oven controller?

Similar situation to magandy2 -- I need to replace the ERC on my GE built-in double oven, but the part ( WB27k5040) is listed as "permanently discontinued" everywhere I look and no substitute is known or suggested by GE (of course), and I am told I must replace the whole oven!

Any source of used controllers, or 3rd party substitutes? Who do I go to if I want to repair the controller?

Thanks!
DAS

Old 09-05-06, 03:34 PM
Unhappy GE oven wall unit

hello, I too am having similar problems with my GE oven Model # JKP15BOWIBB. (O could be 0) Not sure. We have have two codes flashing F1, F2. I think my husband has seen it flash F3 if I remember right. We do not have a manual to this oven to even know what these codes mean. I do know that I can turn the oven on and it will shut off automatically after so many minutes and flash these codes (usually the F1). I haven't been able to use my oven in months, and sometimes for no reason these codes will come on. Can anyone tell me what these codes mean?

Old 09-05-06, 03:58 PM
D
bradnchristy, welcome to the DIY forums

I am no pro, but I thought this info might help you:

This is directly found on the GE appliance site:

http://genet.geappliances.com/geasearch/Dispatcher?REQUEST=GETSEARCHRESULT

I copied and pasted the information here in case you didn't want to copy and paste the url. I posted all the codes. Hope this helps. I wasn't able to find your model but you might try it on the GE appliance site.

"Range Error, Fault or Function Codes

Fault codes are programmed in all electronic range controls. These codes help GE Factory Service technicians quickly diagnose issues with the range. In the event that the electronic control displays a fault code, a trained Service Technician should be called to diagnose and correct the issue. A summary of the fault codes and their meanings are listed below:

Fault code Definition

F0 This code usually means that there is a problem with the keypanel. Many times, it means the keypanel needs to be replaced.

F1 This code usually means that there is a problem with the keypanel. Many times, it means the keypanel needs to be replaced.

F2 For an unknown reason, the oven temperature has exceeded a preset threshold.

F3 This code usually means that the oven sensor needs to be replaced.

F4 This code usually means that the oven sensor needs to be replaced.

F5 This code usually means that the electronic control needs to be replaced.

F6 This code usually means that there is a problem with the keypanel. Many times, it means the keypanel needs to be replaced.

F7 This code usually means that there is a problem with the keypanel. Many times, it means the keypanel needs to be replaced.

F8 This code usually means that the electronic control needs to be replaced.

F9 This code usually means that a component has failed somewhere in the door lock circuit.

FC This code usually means that a component has failed somewhere in the door lock circuit.

FD This code usually means that either the probe or the receptacle may need to be replaced.

FF This code usually means that the electronic control needs to be replaced.

Bad Line - This code displays when power is applied to the unit, but it has not been wired correctly. Contact an installer or electrician to correct the mis-wire and the oven will function normally.

Unlock Door - This code appears when the door will not unlock after a self clean cycle. For steps on opening the door when this error code appears..

Loc Door - If this code is flashing in the display of your range or oven, and the self-clean cycle has not been selected, Reset your control.

LOC - Child lockout is a feature on select "flush" wall ovens, free-standing, and slide-in range models that prevents the oven from being turned on accidentally.

Check individual Owner's Manuals for specific model and usage information. Download a free copy of the Owner's Manual and/or Installation Instructions.

ERR ERR - means that there has been an invalid entry, when setting the oven controls. Reset your control.
⊃ When a ⊃ (backwards "C") is seen in the display, it means that your oven has been set for Sabbath Mode. For more information about Sabbath mode.

Before Calling Service, you can try the following...

Sometimes shutting off the circuit breaker that the range is connected to for 30 seconds will clear the fault, error or function code, however there are some cases when further service may be required. If you would like to schedule a service appointment, please contact GE Consumer Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule a service appointment on-line.

GE does recommend turning the range off at the breaker until you have it serviced. It is okay to cycle the breaker and turn the range back on long enough to use the surface units. Be sure to turn the range off at the breaker again when you have finished."

Old 12-16-06, 07:43 PM
D
Talking AHA! I found out what to do!

Originally Posted by dasincleve View Post
Similar situation to magandy2 -- I need to replace the ERC on my GE built-in double oven, but the part ( WB27k5040) is listed as "permanently discontinued" everywhere I look and no substitute is known or suggested by GE (of course), and I am told I must replace the whole oven!

Any source of used controllers, or 3rd party substitutes? Who do I go to if I want to repair the controller?
********** There are several vendors online who repair range/oven/timer controllers like this. I liked the one that advertises on ebay all the time: Parts Repair Depot / C G Industries. Go to http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-Repair-Depot_W0QQssPageNameZl4QQtZkm

They have a decent price, and promise fast service with a 60 day warrenty on their repair, plus they claim to make it better than new so it won't be so likely to fail again! I'm mailing them my controller tomorrow so we'll see what happens! (My wife is very pleased - rackin up the couch points!)

DAS

Old 09-23-08, 03:37 AM
M
Did fixing the controller work?

Bought a used double oven and I am now getting the F1 code. disincleve - did sending the controller to get fixed work? If so, I will probably do the same thing.

Thanks,

MLP

Old 12-11-08, 05:47 AM
M
GE Profile Wall Oven

I have a GE Profile Double Oven # JTP 54GV2BB with the F1 error issue. The ovens and broilers work fine. The error occurs when I turn off the oven(s)-it starts that dagburn beeping. The only way to stop it is to flip the breaker the ovens are on-and then when I flip it on-usually when I need the oven again-no beeping until I turn the oven(s) off. I am going to try cleaning the vents above the keypad-just in case they are dirty and maybe wiggle the keypad.
If anyone comes up with a permanent fix that isn't going to break my bank, I would love that!

Old 12-15-08, 12:38 PM
M
Frigidaire Custom Flair Oven not heating above warm

While I am here, let me ask all of the experts about my "other" oven issue. I have a Frigidaire Custom Flair double oven range.
The large oven does not heat up beyond mildly warm. The broiler heats about the same-no significant heat. What would cause this? I thot either an oven works or it doesn't! I have a lot to learn about old ovens-and enuf of them to learn on~~

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: