Another 'Whirlpool dishwasher won't drain' thread

Old 05-23-06, 06:46 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another 'Whirlpool dishwasher won't drain' thread

Most of the threads I found stopped at the'have you tried unkinking the hose?' so I assume that either fixed it or the original poster got professional help. Well, I'm not quite ready for professional help, but close (don't ask my wife her opinion )

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher M/N GU980SCGQ3. I want to say it is about five years old, but I can't remember for sure.

It won't drain.

I have checked the drainpipe, it isn't clogged. So much for the easy fix

When I took the drain off the dishwasher, water is dripping out of the dishwasher through the drain spout. I would think it wouldn't flow at all. Don't know if that means anything or not. Anyone know?

I measured the resistance of what I assume is the drain solenoid - it is 48k ohms. That seems high to me, but I wouldn've expected either open or something in the 10s of ohms (at DC anyway). Could this be the problem?

Don't know if I want to go any further than this, we will see. Even if it *is* the drain solenoid, it looks like a good job to replace that.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks
ken

Old 05-23-06, 08:29 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, I found one last thing to try, and it worked!! I found another very similarly entitled thread at

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=1037

It inspired me a little - I unscrewed the check valve attached to the motor. Stuck inside was a single kernel of corn! How it got through the screen I still don't know, there must be a gap in it somewhere in the back where I can't see.

I cleaned the kernel out, and my dishwasher drained again.

BTW I don't think that was a drain solenoid I had measured. I had forgotten to connect it back up before I tried everything out, and everything seemed to work without it. I connected it back once I realized it, but I wonder what it really is for now?

ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: