Refrigerator thermostat set points

Old 06-11-06, 05:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator thermostat set points

My old Frigidaire #FPI-14BK quit working, so I took off the cover plate on the thermostat adjustment located in the food compartment. Behind the plate there were two screwdriver adjustment tweeks "e". I turned them both and the refrigerator came back to life. I would like to set these at the proper levels. Here is a rough diagram of what the markings are on the T-stat housing.

....e c 1
....^
c...|
....V
....e c 0

"e" = screwdriver tweeks

c 1 and c 0 = on/off set points

The markings on my t-stat dial are "off C B A 1 2 3" Before I messed with the tweeks my fridge turned off when the dial was fully rotated to the off position. It turned on when fully rotated the opposite direction or at 3. I am not sure if that is the way it should be? Maybe the "on" set point should be at the letter C?

Today I found a old meter on ebay used for calibrating Frigidaire t-stats. Do I really need one of these or can it be done without?

Old 06-11-06, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
There really is no such thing as tweaking the internal thermostat calibration screws.

The thermostat operating range is set at the factory by the gas mixture in the capiliary and the type of spring that they install.
The adjustments you are referring to are there to fine tune the control to be in spec.
When you need to turn one of the screws to close the contacts it is because either the spring has worn enough to put the control out of range or the capilliary has lost its gas charge.

I'm afraid that your control will not likely ever work properly.
It needs to be replaced.

Old 06-13-06, 03:00 PM
S
Thank you for your reply. This is the first real info anyone has given me. This is a late 60's fridge, so finding a new part is not that easy. The fridge is working, so I am not totally convinced the part is bad. The spring, as you say, may have gone out of range. Right now it is running colder than before, but I need temp gauages to determine what it is at. I have been waiting for the fridge to stablize before I mess with it further. Should the markings on my T-stat dial coinside with any specific temp or temp range?

Old 06-13-06, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
steuspeed,

The numbers on a refrigerator thermostat dial are only a guide.
Mfr's will normally tell you to set it at a middle setting and make adjustments from there.
You are right that there might be something other than the stat that is causing your problem.
Not sure if you have a frost free or cold plate style fridge or where the thermostat senses its temp.
One thing that can cause a thermostat to not open is if the system were low on refrigerant.
Most fridge thermostats sense the temp of the refrigeration coil and if slightly low may not cool the probe enough to activate the control. There could be just enough refrigerant though to overcool the space.

What type of fridge is it and where is the probe fastened?

Old 06-14-06, 03:55 PM
D
Thermostat

Another idea I have used before on older fridges with hard to find replacement thermostats is whats called a temporary cold control. It is basically a temporary cold control used by the service tech untill he gets a new replacement so the customer can still use his fridge in the meantime. It can also be used on a permanent basis. It usually comes with suction cups to mount it on the inside wall of the fresh food section & senses the air temp. instead of the coil temp. If you do an internet search for
"Supco temporary cold control" you can get more info. Supco part # is SC1002. Dave

Old 06-18-06, 01:58 PM
S
Greg,

The Model is a Frigidaire #FPI-14BK. 1968/1969?

I believe it is a frost free unit with freezer on the bottom. There is a heater coil/radiator under the freezer compartment with a drip pan behind the lower kick plate. Also behind the kick plate is a half worn schematic. It does indicate the thermostat as just a simple switch with the two pots "tweeks" on each side.

---e--o/ o--e---

I am not sure where the probe is fastened. Ill have to investigate further.

Again, the fridge is working and cycling on/off. I think the t-stat just got stuck. I have not touched the control in probably 10+ years. I always had the contol on max cold "3". It would be nice to get the unit working so there was a little room for adjustment.

Stewart

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: