Whirlpool Washer no longer agitated

Old 06-13-06, 10:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a LA 6800 x two? XT? Purchased in 1989 (Maybe its time?) I noticed it not agitating last nite....Washer appropriatly goes through entire cycle, but unless I put some pressure on the top of the agitator with my hand it doesn't move.
My other concern is taking it apart....It looks unpenetrable, and then where can I find parts for this?
Thanks, John

Old 06-14-06, 06:45 PM
J
Agitator Dogs

Your agitator has bad dogs.....Lol. Sounds funny. Anyway, the dogs (4) are about $3.00 at any local appliance parts store. They are fairly easy to replace. The cap on your agitator simply pops off with a flathead screwdriver. Next, you must remove the inner cap. You then remove the bolt insinde agitator holding agitator to the transmision shaft. After the bolt is removed you will be able to lift the agitator from the shaft. The agitator is 2 pieces and needs to be separated. The rest of the repair is self explanatory. Reverse actions to reinstall agitator. If I left you hanging, just let me know, i'll explain the rest. But you really will be able to see what needs to be done after seperating the agitator. Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Sam

Old 06-15-06, 12:17 PM
J
Washer not agitating

Hey Sam,

Thanks so much for what sounds like an easy fix. So I need to "put the dogs down", huh? I'll let you know what happens....your repair sounds almost too easy.....I'm sure I'll find a way to throw a monkey wrench in it.

John

Old 06-19-06, 04:04 PM
J
Thumbs up You 'Da Man, Sam!

Wow,....The fix was exactly like you described.....cost....next to nothing (I bought a kit @ an appliance store for 18.00 which included the dogs, some rubber washers, and the housing around the dogs). Unfortunately, my wife couldn't wait to get another "new" one....."Its 16 years old"....."something else will break on it" (hope she isn't considering that with me!)....So, now I have 2 washers.....I may save it for my kids, or advertise and sell it....

Thanks again Sam,

John

Old 06-20-06, 04:24 PM
J
I am glad I could help. Let me know of any future appliance probs.

Sam

Old 05-29-07, 01:28 PM
G

Sam,..I say a huge THANKS as well...and John for posting the issue. I just completed my dogs repair and all is good.
The tricky parts were (that I recall):
- not knowing how much force to apply to undo the screw/washer, turns out it is a normal counter clock turn to remove
- how to separate the top agitator piece from the lower-remove if from the washer and pull up hard while holding the bottom with your feet
- it's a bit tricky to align the dogs and make that cam piece stay in place when putting it back together, needed to do it upside down and put the inner cap back inside to hold it in place while pushing.
- getting that screw/washer back in there upright so I could get a hold of it to screw in

Those 'dogs' and cam are a pretty simple assembly but once they are worn it won't grip the cam knotches and gradually reduces the agitation action.
Thanks again - I can cancel my washer service call now!
Don.

Old 12-16-07, 10:10 AM
A
Question help with the "dogs"

Hello,
I too am thankful for this site. As a single person I have to do-it-myself a lot.
Researching my whirlpool's problem leads me to believe it is the cogs & dogs. I located a site that says there are 3 different size kits available. How did you determine what you needed? As the kits all had different parts or designs I thought maybe I could just take the old ones in, but then might be harder to put them back in a few days later. Short term memory is lagging at this point in life, haha.
Also, if the top agitator isn't working, would this affect the dryness of clothes after spin? My thought was if both aren't working then maybe the clothes are not distributed evenly, thus an unbalanced load. On a large load the clothes remained very wet, had to run the spin again before drying.
I ran a small load(no clothes, just water) & it appeared to be spinning ok, no water was left in the tub. The rinse spray only happened twice so it wasn't over spraying.
Thanks for any help!!

Old 12-16-07, 12:30 PM
D
Hi anni- Be sure to give the vendor the model and serial number of your machine to get the right parts. Can you post them here? Once you get the agitator fixed, see if the wet clothes problem persists. If yes, take off the cabinet and check the drive coupling.

Lots of WP washer help here:

http://www.applianceaid.com/direct.html

WP DD washers are easy to fix and the common repairs are fairly cheap.

Old 12-16-07, 01:21 PM
A
daddyjohn

Thanks for the link. It looks like a good one. There's no model# tag on the back of the washer. Any idea where they locate them? I'd rather not totalling tear the casing apart only to find it's in the last place I look.

According to the pic. on the site, looks like mine is DD. That's good I hope, haha. Thanks again! Anni

Old 12-16-07, 03:27 PM
D
Lift the lid and look around there. The WP belt drive machine was last produced in the early 1980's or so; I 'm sure you have a DD machine. They are good machines coz WP followed the KISS principle. [Keep It Simple Stupid]

Old 12-18-07, 06:57 AM
A
daddyjohn

Nope nothing under the lid. My guess is it's on the back. Hopefully that will come off easily enough.
Thanks

Old 12-18-07, 10:35 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may gain good access by putting maqchine on blanket on it's side and having a look under there at coupling area. Be prepared (to mop up)for residual water to run out that is caught up in pump, hoses and maybe between the two tubs.

Old 12-20-07, 08:03 PM
A
found the numbers!

Ok, got the model & serial numbers. Model is LA778 SW1
serial CX 3353644. I took the agitator apart & took the cog/dogs along with the numbers with me to a parts place. All they asked was what brand it was & suggested just replacing the rubber dogs, as this is what "most people are doing". As I was wiping out the inside of the agitator (before I got the dogs) I noticed 3 little squares of plastic, very small & thin, maybe 1/8 in. square. I can't see where they might have come from. The only thing that looks like the same type of plastic is the ring that slides over the cog/dogs to keep the dogs in place. Wondering if I should have just got all 3 pieces. I'm waiting for my brother to come over so I can borrow his socket extender again. Sure hope that's all it needs & I get them back in the right way, haha.

Old 12-21-07, 09:50 AM
D
Check the model # again, it's probably LA7780XSW1 I'm thinking the broken parts you found are pieces of the ring.

Take a look here; there's a kit and also a recomended lubricant:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...odel_id=234650

Looks like about $21 plus shipping. I suggest using the kit. Let us know how you make out. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: