What Could Cause This? (Frost free refrigerator leak)

Old 06-13-06, 02:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What Could Cause This? (Frost free refrigerator leak)

I have a Kenmore fridge, in the freezer, there is a hole for the 'frost-free' water to drip into, then it hits the heated pan underneath the fridge and is evaporated (you can hear it hiss as it hits the heated pan). I noticed water on my kitchen floor and found it coming from the freezer; apparently, the water is not going into the hole, I took out the bottom drawer and noticed that ice had formed on the bottom of the freezer, I put my finger in the hole thinking it might be cloged, but it's not. So what could be causing the water to sit on the bottom of the freezer, instead of going into the hole to be evaporated by the heated pan? Any help would be great!!
I used a hair-dryer to melt the ice, so I could get it out, but 3 days later, it was back.

Old 06-14-06, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Finger or no finger...it's still plugged (probably). There is a 90 degree elbow as the drain line exits the back and then turns downward. You must blow the line clear with compressed air, or your lungs, by using some tubing you can buy any home or auto centers and that fits the hole tight and wrap a rag around it to ensure tighter fit if need be and force your air or compressed air through it... and I asure you that gook will fly out (if this is the cause). Proof will wind up down in the pan. The pan is not heated per se. It is just sitting ontop the compressor where it gets warm/hot.

In the event that your drain tubing is NOT plugged...then you have ice blocking the water from even exiting the freezer to make it's way to the drain cup. You will have to remove food, store it in the kitchen sinks and cover with blanket or towel to keep froze while you thaw out the back of freezer and upper top of refrigerator compartments with hair dryer. If you don't want to stand and hold hair dryer, you can set in there and close the door on the cord, and check on it every so often to make sure the hair dryer isn't moving about under it's vibration.

Old 06-17-06, 01:08 PM
P
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense to me. The wife overstuffs the freezer when things are on sale, and frost-free or not, ice will form if that door is left open as I often at times find it so. It pops open a little when I close the fridge door!!

Old 06-17-06, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lettuce know how it turns out, please.

Old 06-17-06, 02:52 PM
P
Of course, thats the way this forum works. This way everyone learns!!

Old 08-24-06, 11:42 AM
P
Thumbs up Problem Solved!! Freezer Not Draining.

I tried the compressed air, but it didn't work. So I bought this thing called a "ZIP IT" from home-depot it's plastic, about a half inch wide and it's very flexable; and VERY VERY SHARP!! Wear gloves when using it. I stuck it down in the hole and pulled all kinds of junk out, then I poured 1 table spoon of baking soda and 2 cups of hot (not boiling) water slowly into the hole, I only put about a cup and a quater in, I didn't want to overflow the drain pan. This tip I got from a manuall from a similar type of fridge at Sears. It also said to do this 4 times a year to prevent clogging, go figure, it was the first time I did it in 8 years, you think they would let you know about this tip; but then there would be a lot less service calls at $200 a pop!!
Thanks for all the tips!
EverMore pegleg

Old 08-25-06, 07:57 AM
D
Thanks for this tip! I have a similar problem with my upright freezer, and I was wondering if you had any frost buildup also.

I used the sink snake on the drain;didn't see anything, but there also is a little cup that attaches to the end of my drain. It appears to keep the water from backing up into the drain.

That stopped the buildup on the bottoom of the freezer, but now there is some frost on the back wall, and when the freezer is full the temp goes high- about 35F. When I removed about half the food it went back to about 10F.

Old 08-25-06, 11:27 AM
P
DaVina- Frost Build-Up

I had the same problem, it's being caused by over stuffing the freezer. When food touches the back wall, frost builds up and the cooler temp. of the frost tricks the thermostat into thinking that the freezer is cool enough and in turn it doesn't kick on, and the result is the temp of the freezer rising; hence like you noticed when you removed half the food, the temp returned to normal, hope this helps!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: