Fridge Problem with cooling

Old 06-14-06, 07:22 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge Problem with cooling

As i know nothing about fridges I am really just looking for advice on whether it is worth getting my Fridge fixed or to either sell it as is on ebay or something like that. The fridge is old, but I do not know how old.

The fridge is a Siemens fridge with two doors and top for freezer and bottom for fridge.

I recently moved house.

The freezer works perfectly, but the fridge hardly works at all ie it does not get cold. It appears that the cooling system is on the back wall of the fridge as there is a small amount of ice that has formed there.

The things I do not understand is how can the back of the fridge form ice when the fridge is hardly even cold.

I was always lead to believe that such a fridge has one system for both fridge and freezer, thus I fail to understand how the freezer can work so well and the fridge not.

Just in case it means anything to you it is a Siemens combination fridge KS24V01/03.

Old 06-14-06, 03:35 PM
D
Siemens fridge

Not familiar with the Siemans brand but I'm sure it works as most fridges. It sounds like you have a defrost problem. The ice build-up you see is the result of your fridge not properly going into a defrost mode & the ice is building up on your coils. Most fridges have a back panel you can take off to see the coils located in freezer. There is a heater located under the coils that may be bad or it could be the timer located elsewhere on your fridge that failed. Regardless, these parts are fairly inexpensive & would be worth replacing. The ice build-up is not allowing the freezer fan to move air into the fresh food section.
Dave

Old 06-16-06, 01:52 AM
D
Thanks for your answer. What you are talking about sounds pretty good to me. The only thing is that there appears to be no way to get into the back of the fridge section. In fact the fridge sections seems to be one piece and there is no access from the inside or the outside to this back cooling section.

In any case as the fridge had to start from hot it took a long time to cool down, but it is now after about 5 days actually getting cold, so the urgency has gone.

Thanks again.

Old 06-17-06, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can stick a hair dryer inside the freezer section and shut the door on the cord. Take out your food and put it in your double sinks and cover with blanket or towels while doing the thawing.

Before you start, check the drip pan that is either located below the refrigerator behind the bottom grill (you must pop off, and wash/dry it first, then slip it back in), or located permanently affixed to the top of the compressor at the rear of the unit. Then defrost with hairdryer with unit unplugged. Then check to see if defrosting water is making it's way into the pan. If not and you see water accumulating under the crisper drawers instead, then your defrost line tubing/cup is plugged with gook and/or ice, and you must clean it out with a air compressor or your own lungs blowing through a tube you buy to fit the port hole behind the cup. You can pull off those plastic/rubber cups, usually. Or, you could pull out the unit (refrigerator, away from the wall) and see if you can blow UP the tube from the bottom. If this appeared to be your problem...voila. This scenario can cause your problem because even if the defroster IS working...if the water has no where to drain it wil turn back into ice, and cause your prolbem where the evaporator fan is either frozen also, and/or it just can't blow air into the fridge compartment. Cold from the coils enters the freezer first and is diverted, by design, to then be blown into the fridge compartment.

Once you have the ice eliminated, then plug back in and make sure the evaporater fan at the back of the freezer can run. It will only run when the compressor runs. But the compressor should start up soon after you have applied all that heat and plugged the unit back in.

In the defrost mode the evaporator fan does not run. Check your defrost timer to see if it turns on it's own. You can find these located usually on newer fridges under the thermostat cover on the roof of the fridge section. There is a little dial you will see without even having to remove the cover to that housing. It may also be located mounted to the bottom at the front or rear. They are a square box about a couple to few inches big. The dial has a slot across it which enables you to turn the dial with a coin, only one direction. But do not turn it...yet. Observe the direction of the slot and see if it turns at all after the fridge has been running a while. If it hasn't moved, then the defrost timer most likely is shot. But if it DOES turn, then the other problem with the ice/gook was proably your problem.

Old 07-04-06, 02:41 PM
D
Thank you heaps for the info, I have not given it a go but I will do it to see. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-06, 03:23 PM
M
Originally Posted by darbid
The only thing is that there appears to be no way to get into the back of the fridge section.
Try the back of the freezer section.

Old 07-22-06, 04:26 AM
D
Outside the fridge the drip pan is located above the compressor. It was dry, this compressor or big black thing was very very hot, too hot to touch.

Before starting the fridge did not have any coolness at all anymore. In fact there would be no difference inside the fridge to the outside tempurature. Also the freezer coils must be running at different temps. When I look inside the coils run along half of the roof, then go to the back and then run back along the other half of the roof. The right hand side roof half is frosted but the rest of the coils are not.

I tried to defrost with the blow dryer. No water came out. But I am not sure this can work for this fridge. At the back of the fridge there is a hole where the water collects ie the water runns down the back of the wall of the fridge and collects into this hole and that goes directly out into the drip pan. This hole is not blocked.

Am I wrong. Should water be coming from the Freezer somehow down the back wall internally and then also going into this drip tray?

As I said previously this unit is put together so people cannot pull it apart. The fridge part is solid, there are no access points other than the light and thermostat on the right hand side. Oh and there is a wire from the thermostat which runs to the back of the fridge. It seems to have emitted a yellow substance which has run down the back of the fridge and gone dry. Does that indicate anything?

The freezer has a centre insert, but that seem stuck on and I tried to pry it off but to no avail, it seem like I am hurting things more than fixing them. Also there is a small cover on the right hand side roof front (the side where the coils are all frosted) but this does not come off.

I am not sure if this forum allows photos, but would a photo help?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: