Kenmore Refrig side/side model 106.56563400 not cooling

Old 06-25-06, 10:00 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kenmore Refrig side/side model 106.56563400 not cooling

My refrigerator quit working after a bad electrical storm in our area. Not sure if the two are related, but I also now have two Tv's that aren't working as well. I have a 23yr old Kenmore refrig in my garage plugged into a GFCI outlet (yes, the reset button popped) that survived the storm, so at least I can keep my food from spoiling. The repairman is scheduled for Monday, Jul 3rd, so if I can eliminate as good everything but the 5 yr warrantied sealed refrigeration system I could save myself a bundle of cash.

The details...

Purchased new May 04
Model number 106.56563400
Refrig/freezer side temps 64*

The freezer side evaporator fan (in the back wall) runs constantly and the coils are only cool to the touch...no frost or ice. The compressor fan on the bottom of the fridge also runs constantly. The compressor 'clicks' on about every four minutes, runs 3-4 seconds, then 'clicks' off. (Don't remember hearing the 'clicks' before it stopped working.) This cycle continually repeats itself. The evaporator drip pan is dry. The area under the fridge and condenser are very clean (no house pets). The interior lighting works as advertised.

I don't have any refrigeration experience, but have a good knowledge base of basic electronics. If anyone could help me get this thing back up and running I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Al

Last edited by big_al; 06-26-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 11:49 AM
B
Smile Kenmore 106.56563400

How 'bout it...anyone?

Today I read the compressor with an ohmmeter. I consistently get 9.5 ohms, 6.5 ohms, and 3.6 ohms between to different pairs of start, run, and common electrical pin contacts. None of the pins were shorted to the compressor case. Will pick up a load resistor to check the run capacitor today.

Thanks, Al

Last edited by big_al; 06-27-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 05:07 PM
B
Fixed!

Checked the run capacitor with an ohmmeter, appears to be okay. Anyhow, took it to a local appliance repair shop and he confirmed my assesment. My next hunch was the combo start relay and overload protection unit (p/n 1016369) on the compressor. He had one in stock so I figured what the hell. If it's anything other than this I'm gonna need a service tech to fix it. Took it home and popped it in...I'm chillin' like a villian again!!! I guess the lightnin' was to much for it to handle.

Al

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: