Whirlpool Washer not draining

Old 07-16-06, 09:09 AM
prh
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Whirlpool Washer not draining

Hi - and Thanks for reading.

I have a direct drive Whirlpool Washing Machine Model WT47201 Type 111 - Circa 1992.

The washing machine will fill and wash, but while agitating makes a clicking or ticking noise.

Once the drain cycle starts it will just sit and makes no effort to drain. No motor or pump is operating. It is just a dead machine.

From what I have read - I am assuming its the coupler. But I would have assumed that I would here the motor spin, but it is quiet. I am seeking confirmation from someone please before I go down the path or remove and replace.

update
Ooopps.. forgot to mention it was a direct drive....
Also removed the motor and the coupler has a bit of shredding which explains the clicking sound. A piece of the rubber coupling is banging the housing as it revolves... but - again I am not sure how that affects the pump. anyone else have this problem???

Many Thanks
Peter {τΏτ}

Last edited by prh; 07-16-06 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-16-06, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would have to say the lid switch is the problem

Old 07-17-06, 09:07 AM
prh
I thought so to... but when i metered it with an ohm meter it was fine. But I will try jumpering it tonight and see what happens

Thanks
Peter

Old 07-17-06, 05:30 PM
prh
Done - Replaced the coupling and way she goes... I dont get it - But it works

Thanks for this site - some great information you have made available.
Peter

Old 10-19-06, 12:09 PM
B
i have a similar problem....

i have an old whirlpool too, and it was doing the same thing: filling, agitating, but then not draining and not clicking over to spin because (i assume anyway...) the water level is too high.
i thought that the problem was the pump though... so i took the cabinet off and looked at the pump. when i took it off and looked into one of the holes, i saw a little mangled piece of metal, some random clip from who-knows-where about the size of a zipper, stuck between the impellor and the housing, preventing the pump from spinning. i took out the metal thing, put it all back together, and now, the washer won't even turn on or fill up or agitate or anything.
did i kill my washer? what might be going on? how do i know if it's the coupler and not the pump?

Old 10-19-06, 02:47 PM
D
Whirlpool washer dead

Are you sure you plugged back in the wiring harness on the top back of cabinet when you put it back on? Dave

Old 10-19-06, 05:18 PM
B
wiring harness/grounding

yeah. absolutely certain. you have to disconnect it to get the cabinet off, right? i plugged it back in. and it's not the power source because the GFCI is working properly.
a lot of other posts mention the lid switch, which i know was working before. that shouldn't matter for the fill anyway though. what else could keep it from coming on entirely?
thanx for all the help...
al

Old 10-19-06, 05:30 PM
D
Whirlpool washer

I would take the control panel off top & look to see if anything got disconnected when you had cabinet off. Plug to timer, wire to water level switch, etc. Dave

Old 10-20-06, 01:57 PM
B
still nothing...

as far as i can tell, everything's securely connected...
maybe there's a short in the wiring harness somewhere? i have another whirlpool washer (not working either...) that has many identical parts (the pump, for example), but not entirely because there's a big capacitor on the back of its control panel that isn't on the original subject. but i did swap in the lid switch because it's in better shape.
the washer i'm trying to fix is an estate "large capacity" washer. (estate is made by whirlpool), and the washer i took the lid switch from is a whirlpool "heavy duty" washer. those don't seem like specific-enough names to me. there's no model number i have found yet... where do i find the model number?

Old 10-20-06, 07:10 PM
D
Whirlpool

Model number is on a tag somewhere. Look under lid, back of machine on control panel, bottom side of cabinet. Not sure about your washer but some Whirlpools had a "off balance switch" that I believe was located on the right back side of the outer tub. If clothes were clumped together in tub when washer went in to spin cycle & made tub bounce around too much it hit the switch & shut washer down before cycle finished. Switch arm might be stuck in. Kinda grasping at straws here. Odd that washer worked untill you cleaned pump out. Find that model # & I can look up the parts diagram to look for more clues. Dave

Old 10-22-06, 05:05 PM
B
holy cow i must be blind, but i find no model number. the best i have is a part reference number, which will hopefully suffice:

rev. c

there is a little rectangular box on the bottom side of the tub... how do i see if the switch is stuck? is it the kind of thing a good solid kick will fix haha?
thanx for all your help dave.

Old 10-22-06, 05:25 PM
D
Whirlpool washer

If I recall, the switch was mounted to the back wall & had a plastic lever that the tub would push in if it got out of balance too bad. Is there wires going to the box you see at tub?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: