Whirlpool Ice Maker Question

Old 07-17-06, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Ice Maker Question

This is a 97 Whirlpool Fridge (top mount) w/ the ice maker model ECKMF-90. The water line is leaking where it's connected to the water inlet valve.

Since the ice maker is a little old, I want to change the entire ice maker. I see this sold at Lowes for $50.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=57773-46-ECKMF94&detail=cr&lpage=none

The model is -94 instead of what I currently have which is -90. Is this compatible? More importantly, is it just replacing the ice-making unit inside the freezer only OR will it include the water inlet valve as well?

I see water inlet valve is sold as replacement parts for almost as much as the ice maker kit.

From here for example:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=240691

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=2295

Also, if I change the entire ice maker unit, do I require connection of the freon line to the ice maker?

I used to own a restaurant. Last year I observed the service guy fixed the commercial ice maker and that has RU (??) gas line into the unit to freeze the water to make ice.

For home ice maker unit inside a top mount freezer, is it just plug and play?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-06, 11:43 AM
Smile

Hi hamproof,

The ice maker kit that you saw at Lowes should fit your refrigerator perfectly. Everything is "plug and play". The kit will come with a new ice maker and a water valve that will install the same way your existing ice maker and valve is installed.

Depending on what kind of line is connected to you refrigerator, you should repair the leaky connection. If your line is copper, you should cut off a small piece and install a new compression fitting. If it is a flexible hose you may want to consider replacing the hose.

By the way, there are a few top-mount refrigerators that have a water dispenser. If your unit has a water dispenser, the valve in the ice maker kit will not work. You would need a double water valve instead.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-17-06, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info. It only has an ice maker. No water.

Also, the water inlet pipe is leaking as well as the plastic water tube. Already bought the plastic tube but HD doesn't carry Whirlpool. Lowes is located a few more miles away than HD.

Old 07-19-06, 06:19 AM
I put in the ice maker yesterday. It was pretty easy.

But a potential problem. When I removed the existing water line, I noticed at where it is tapped in, there's a brass insert inside the poly. water line in addition to the ferrule (I think that's what it is call) and the compression nut. However on the fridge end, there's no brass insert. Just the ferrule and compression nut.

So, I inserted the brass insert in both ends, tighten them up and turn the water on. For maybe 5 mins. everything was ok, but suddenly on the fridge end, the poly tube just pop out, leaving the compression nut and ferrule still attached to the fridge.

I gather the compression nut did not *crush* the ferrule OR it could be coz' of the brass insert prevented it from crushing it properly.

So, I removed the brass insert from the fridge end and tried it again. After about 2 hrs. everything seem OK, but I'm afraid the it might pop out again on either the tapped water line OR the fridge end.

I read the brass insert is to prevent the poly tube from crushing. So, should I remove the one from the tapped water line also?

Any way I can check to make sure everything is tight (the first time I did it, I really thought it was tight - but it pop out anyway)?

Thanks.

Old 04-04-10, 10:29 AM
Smile Mr Chris

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

Greetings,
I just joined Do it yourself and I have a few questions regarding a Whirpool Ice maker I just installed yesterday. The Model is ED 22POXFN Ser # is SJ 1551403 Man
date is 04/99. After instlling the unit, I noticed it leaking out the from panel below the push button for ice and water. I have done a little research and think it might be a valve or somehting other than the water line. I checked that for crimps and that is fine....the unit makes ice fine, I cannot let it run for long due to the leaking.. any helpful hints were be great...Thanks in advance