replaced bake element - still doesn't work

Old 07-23-06, 01:52 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replaced bake element - still doesn't work

Hello-

About a week ago I had a question on a shorted out oven. Nobody replied so I moved on. Maybe you all can help from here.

The bake element on my oven was lifted up to clean it. When this happened, it touched the oven wall shorting it out. The disconnect on the bake element was ruined. So I got a new bake element and spliced a new disconnect onto the power source - attached the disconnects to the bake element and it still isn't heating. Any other parts that this sort of shorting out could have ruined?

Thanks for any help?

Old 07-23-06, 02:49 PM
J
Check your breakr. Ovens need 220v to operate. Even if the breaker looks as if it is in the on position, or not tripped, turn it off then back on. When the sparks flew, you more than likely threw your breaker. I run into this all the time. I also run into the breaker not looking tripped, but needed reset. Hope this helps. If not. you may need to call your local professional appliance repairman. Good Luck. Sam

Old 07-23-06, 04:43 PM
R
Thanks for the response but I know that isn't it - the breaker did trip as a result of the short however it has been off and on twice since then. I had it off while switching out the bake element. Also, as I mentioned earlier, my broil element is working still - only my bake isn't. My broil element wouldn't work if my breaker was tripped.

Old 07-23-06, 05:28 PM
B
oven element no worky

let us know what we are working with, make and model of the stove. the broil element can still work even if the bake element has been fried or vice versa. sounds to me that the control switch may have been fried. just to let you and anyone else that reads this post, that there is ALWAYS potential voltage
at all points of a high voltage device such as a stove, dryer,a/c unit etc. take precautions to turn off such sources before working on them, or get a pro out there to fix it, the life you save may be your own and /or the family.
barry

Old 07-25-06, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brentwoodpmg is right! On 240 volt appliances, often one leg is kept live. And only one leg is switched. People assume the whole thing is off...dead...when the switch is turned off. Because of this, I don't even care to clean appliances without first unplugging them or shutting off the breaker.

Old 07-26-06, 08:36 AM
M
I've had the wire from the switch to the element burn up you may want to try and test the conductivity of the wires.

Old 07-26-06, 12:04 PM
B
Post the oven model number here so we can see what controls the element, whether it's an old fashioned thermostat or a computer board. If there is a board, the bake relay may be fried. Anyway, post the model number and I'll take a look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: