Kenmore refrigerator defroster problems

Old 07-25-06, 10:14 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore refrigerator defroster problems

I need some help to zero in on what part is the culprit. I have a 5yr old Kenmore frig with freezer on top, model 106.61192100. The auto defrost is not working. It is suppost to defrost for about 20 minutes every 8 hrs but doesn't. The cooling elements in the freezer frost up and block the air flow to the frig below. After I checked everything I could, and not finding anything obvious, I put it back together and let run on it's own, lo and behold, it defrosted, once, and then frosted up ever since. These are the things I've checked, The heating element is good it measures about 35 ohms and the defrost timer motor seems to work just fine, I've taken apart and wiggled as many of the wire connectors I could find to make sure they are making good contact. I've manually turned the timer, the freezer fan and compressor turn off, but defrost heater does not turn on. (wiring schematic found in frig) This frig has an open test connector coming from the defrost timer that I can use to connect the heating element to, so that I can by-pass the "clip on" bi-metal thermostat. I am assuming the bi-metal thermostat is ok because the heater did not work connected directly to the timer either. I checked the voltage at that connector and got about 25v I think it should be 120v. Could the main frig "temperature/control" thermostat need replacing? I'm not sure how to check it. My wife wants a new frig, but I can't justify that, it's only 5yrs old. If I can only figure out which part needs replaced without replacing more than I need to. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-26-06, 10:13 AM
G
Not being specific to your Kenmore.

I would say if the "temperature/control" was bad the pump would not start.

If the timer motor is turning, it more then likely has the 120 volts that it sends to the heater.
When the timer is in the defrost mode it should be sending the 120 v to the heater.

If you want, unplug the fridge and check the wiring with your ohm meter.
I think you should be-able to use you ohm meter and check the resistance at the timer connector to see if the wiring going to the heater is Ok
Assuming the freezer is not too warm activating the bi-metal thermostat.

Note: Always wait 15 min. before restarting you fridge after you turned it off. The pump needs time to depressurize or it may stall and trip its overload.

Old 07-26-06, 12:00 PM
B
I may be wrong but it sounds to me like the defrost timer is bad. It seems that you've properly checked the heater and bypassed the bi-metal.

Copy and past this URL: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/modelsearch_model.aspx?part_id=3110896&model_id=408113&pkw_=timer

Old 07-26-06, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd rotate the timer by hand and note the positon the dial is in, and recheck it later. And repeatedly do this till you are certain it turns every time on it's own. If not, you need a new timer, most likely...short of having a fluke where the current coming *to* the timer is quitting. You could check for that also.

Old 07-26-06, 08:48 PM
E
I have been able to get the defrost to heat up and work. Don't know what I did? But then the next cycle it won't work. I've checked the defost thermostat for the umteenth time, it is suppost to be closed at freezing temps, sometimes it is, but then sometimes it is not. I will replace it and see if that fixes the problem. Intermitant problems are always fun. Thanks for all your help. I will post when the new thermostat is in.

Old 07-27-06, 04:05 PM
Yes. Just like intermittent medical problems where you want to show the doctor your problem and it don't do it then.

Old 07-28-06, 11:43 AM
E
Smile

I did replace the defrost thermostat. The defrost cycle seems to be working as it should. Side note: When I removed the old thermostat I checked the continuity and tried to get it to switch on and off manually by putting it in freezing water, it would not switch on, so I figured it was bad and replaced it. When I got the new thremostat I tried to manually check it, just to see how it worked. I could not get the new one to switch on either, at cold temps, I installed it anyway and it does work. I thought I was checking it correctly, but maybe not. The frig defrost does work now.

Old 07-28-06, 01:19 PM
The thermostat shuts *OFF* when the temp is cold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: