ge provile washer won't drain

Old 07-27-06, 07:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ge provile washer won't drain

I have a ge profile harmony washer and dryer, it's about 3 years old. We are having a problem with it not draining, the pump won't pump. My husband fooled with it last night and it came on and drained the water, but then we did a test run and it was back to not working. He's checked and found nothing in the pump. Does this sound like a bad pump? Is this the norm for these washers and where can one find reasonably priced parts?

Thanks
Sheri

Old 07-27-06, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does your pump have 2 electrical wires going to it and a solenoid attached?

Old 07-28-06, 11:12 AM
S
I'll check ....

I'll have him check it out tonight. If there is a solenoid, is this more than likely the problem? Does that explain why he can get it come on sometimes while fooling with it?

sheri

Old 07-28-06, 01:23 PM
Just have him check and see and we'll go from there. It may strictly be mechanical where there is a trip lever that engages during the change of cycle requiring draining. Just post back what he finds. Me or someone else here can advise.

Old 07-31-06, 12:42 PM
S
it was the pump

He took the pump off, it has a solenoid. The pump rattled, and it turned, but not without some resistance. We got desperate to wash clothes and he took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together, and reinstalled it. The washer now works like a charm.

Is this indicitive of a failure of the pump that is bound to happen? Is it something that happens alot on these washers? Should we get a replacement to be on the safeside and aren't left high and dry when it goes out again? And where does one get one of them?

Thanks for everything,
sheri

Old 07-31-06, 05:40 PM
Sporatic problems are harder to diagnose, especially for the beginner who may not know what to look for.

The one *I* had had a bobby pin that got through a tub basket hole and lodged in the pump. Maybe your husband's jiggling things around caused some small object to unstuck itself.

If it is the solenoid, wire, or pump itself... the problem will resurface, eventually. If not, you probably had something in there like I mentioned...and now it is free of it.

Old 08-01-06, 07:52 AM
S
Thanks

Thanks for your help. It irritates me a tad that I gave so much for this washer and it's already messing up. The last washer was a 25yo hand me down and I used it for 8 years after that, it was still working when I sold my house and left it behind.

sheri

Old 08-01-06, 04:03 PM
But if something got in the pump to get it into a bind...I wouldn't really classify that as the unit 'messing up'. Just consider yourself unlucky.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: