Fridge only crushing ice (no cubes)

Old 08-02-06, 10:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge only crushing ice (no cubes)

I have a two door Frigidaire. Regardless of whether I push the 'Cube' or 'Crush' button on the freezer door, I always get crushed ice. The buttons light up properly when I push them, I just don't ge t the crushed ice...

Is it the door? The ice maker?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Old 08-02-06, 11:09 AM
have you pulled your ice bin out lately ? On mine there is a rod that runs along the bottom of the ice bin and the end sticks into a hole in the back of the freezer. Iside that hole is a lever that either pushes the lever up or down for cubes or crushed. The lever will sometimes stick and I have to push it down and then push the bin back in.

Old 08-02-06, 12:13 PM
M
Not sure what you mean

Mattison, thanks for your quick reply. In your reply you write,"The lever will sometimes stick and I have to push it down and then push the bin back in."

I pulled out the bin, and I do have the 'stick'. I did find a lever that is u-shaped. I pulled it down, but it doesn't stay down. I then put the bin back in, but it didn't solve the problem.

Any thing you see that I might be doing wrong or that I might need more clarification on?

Thanks

Old 08-02-06, 12:18 PM
I think I actually have to hold it in position until the rod is in place.

I'm not at home right now to tell what position it's supposed to be. I will be there in about an hour. If you don't have it going by then I'll check mine.

Old 08-02-06, 12:29 PM
M
Funny you say that

Right after writing my response, I did exactly what you just wrote. I knelt down under the ice box and held the lever down while I inserted the stick. The good news is that now I am getting cubes. The bad news is that I no longer get the crushed ice to work. I MUCH perfer the cubes to the crushed ice, so that is good.

Any thoughts on why I don't get crushed ice anymore? Perhaps the lever no longer works...

Again, regardless I am happy I get the cubes. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-02-06, 12:31 PM
I'll have to check mine when I get home. I can picture doing it but for the life of me I can't remember the details.

Old 08-02-06, 03:13 PM
Ok. So I checked mine and if I look in where the rod is it's actually inside the square plastic thing that goes up and down.

At least you're getting cubes now

Old 08-03-06, 10:15 AM
M
Thanks

Yes, I put it in the square lever. The 'stick' under the icebox doesn't seem to turn (I assume that is what it usually does) when I choose crush, but again I don't really mind. I use cubes 99% of the time and I now longer have to open and shut the freezer all the time my electric bill and the electric company thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: