White Westinghouse elec dryer - rear of unit way TOO HOT !!!

Old 08-10-06, 08:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Westinghouse elec dryer - rear of unit way TOO HOT !!!

We have a White Westinghouse electric dryer that's about 10 years old. In the past two weeks, it has blown the glass fuse on the heating element leg of the 240v connection.

I checked the lint screen & it's normal, we clean it before every load. I also checked the dryer venting - again no problems. Not having a way to check the air pressure coming out the vent @ the dryer, it feels like it's putting out the same amount of air it always has.

While I had it pulled out, after running it for about 5 mins then shutting it off, the rear of the unit was VERY HOT !!! I realize on the opposite side of the rear panel is the heating element though. The element is about 14" in diameter, but you can see where the hottest points of the element are - between the 10 o'clock & the 3 o'clock positions. In fact, it must have gotten so hot in the past because it's changed the color of the sticker/paint in that location.

Now... where do I start to cool off my dryer???

Thanks in advance !

Old 08-11-06, 05:11 PM
it appers as you have a loose conection. loose wires will have a high ampe draw and lots of heat. if pos check the wireing going to the heating element check for loose or corroded connections
hopes this helps

Old 08-15-06, 07:53 PM
D
well, I took the dryer apart & saw that in the approx same area where it's getting hot, part of the heating element coil was pushed back towards the outer casing of the dryer. I moved it back where it should be, checked the connections & put it all back together.

It's still getting very hot to the touch on the outer back surface of the dryer. so hot that I'm concerned about something like the dryer venting or electric cord touching it.

Do I need to replace the element itself or does it have a temperature control or something like that ??

Hot in Central IL,
Dale

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: