Moving New Fridge on its side. How long should it sit before plugging in?.

Old 08-14-06, 03:29 PM
Moving New Fridge on its side. How long should it sit before plugging in?.

I am going to move a new fridge ( in carton) and want to put it on its side for transport ( I don't feel good about having it stand upright in the back while going up and down steep hills).

So, it will be on its side for 1/2 day. How long do I let it sit upright before plugging in? Also, is there a preference perhaps on its back, front( although I would thing that would crush the handles)???

Should I limit the amount of time on its side? ( I can get it just before traveling, then it's only 3/4 hour) or will that matter?

I'm moving it this Wednesday.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-06, 03:45 PM
When you get to your destination let it stand upright for at least 24 hours.

Old 08-14-06, 05:27 PM
I agree with Mattison. 24 hours. If there is any way I would try to haul the thing standing up. That's the way it's packaged from the factory.

Old 08-14-06, 05:33 PM
last one I moved I rented a open trailer something like 25 for the day .

Old 08-14-06, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has been my understanding that new refrig/freezers don't need to have the oil settle [to settle particles] as the oil and system are new and clean.

I agree that old units need to sit in place for 24 hrs to settle any debris in the system so it won't cause a problem. Doesn't hurt to let a new unit sit in place. If I/you have any doubts it's best to err on the side of caution.

Old 08-14-06, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
There are two reasons it is not recommended to lay a refigerator down while moving.
One is that it is possible for oil that normally sits on the bottom of the compressor to find it's way into the suction stub of the compressor and lock the pistons when you plug it in.
The idea behind waiting 24 hours is to let the oil drain back to where it belongs.
The second is that inside the compressor can, the motor/compressor unit is sitting on three springs.
It is possible if lain on its side for a spring to become disloged or broken leaving you with a noisy compressor.

People often lay fridges down and get away with it but I have come across the odd one that didn't.

Old 08-15-06, 04:38 AM
What about laying a washer and dryer down for moving purposes? I need to put stackable washer and dryer in Xterra for a 4 hr move.

Is this OK?

Old 08-15-06, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
foreverkeeps,

A washer laying on its side could do some damage to the suspension system inside the machine or cause oil to leak out of the transmission.
This is the reason there are arrows pointing up on the cartons of new appliances.

Like I said, often times people get away with it, once in a while they don't.
It may be worthwhile to rent a trailer.

Old 08-15-06, 05:32 AM
Thanks all, a trailer is out of the question for me, as it means I would have to carry it a ways in by hand. (This where no trailer ( or dolly- has gone before! - 4*4 pickup needed). I'll try my luck on its side ( the people at homely-de-pot said its ok, as long as I wait 24 hours, just hope the shelfs are packed well, as I wont be opening the carton!

Last thing I want is the fridge to tip over out of the truck!

Old 08-15-06, 05:47 AM
I just measured my Xterra and the stackables are 24 w x 26 tall and I think they will fit.

Can the dryer lay down, or is that also not good?

Old 08-15-06, 07:10 PM
The stackable washer and dryer DOES separate, doesn't it?