spin problem - Kenmore clothes washer 80 series

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-10, 07:27 PM
Kenmore Washer 110.23812100

I just replaced the motor coupler and used the washer a couple of times. Now I have a brand new problem:
The motor hums at the agitate or spin cycle. I've looked closely, and it seems it may have to do with the motor switch, but I'm not sure. If I remove the switch and press the plastic part manually, it will go into the spin cycle. If I don't, the motor will just hum loudly and get hot.
What should I try next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What motor switch the speed selector, lid switch? Anyway it sounds like the switch is bad.

Old 07-09-10, 06:56 AM
I guess it's the speed selector. It's attached to the motor if that helps.
Is it likely that I damaged it while replacing the coupler, or is this just coincidence? I'm a bit concerned that this started happening so soon after I performed another repair.

Old 07-10-10, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
it's where the wires plug in? wiggle .the white wise only and see if motor starts. That is neutral wire and I have found out that wire loosen and losses contact, tighten connection best you can and usually that all it takes, Keep us posted

Old 07-14-10, 03:40 PM
Kenmore Model#: 110.28892790

Ok, everybody. I'm new here. But I need some advice.

1.) My Washer stopped spinning. Fills, Agitates, Drains. But would not spin. This non-spin problem was preceded by a one time, loud grating sound.

2.) I replaced the Coupler yesterday, with ease and success. I washed 4 to 5 loads of clothes. But during the last load, during the end of the spin cycle, the temporary loud grating sound returned along with a very faint burnt smell.

3.) I finished that load, and stopped, not wanting to make things worse.

4.) Does anyone have an idea of what would be causing this and how to know before buying a part?

5.) I've noticed some parts are cost prohibitive and I would be better off buying another washer.

Old 07-14-10, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
check your coupler to make sure it did not crack or break. If coupler ok check the drive block under agitator, Center of tub around shaft. Coupler should have 2 tabs sticking up to edge. If that looks good possible gearcase bad.

Old 08-20-10, 07:20 AM
Unhappy Kenmore 80 Series Noise/Agitator loose? Help

Hi,
This forum sounded very helpful so I figured I'd give it a shot in hopes of solving my washer problem. So I have a Kenmore 80 series washer model 110.25862400 and it has worked fine up until lately. First I noticed a strange noise coming from it. Its hard for me to describe but it sounds like a 'rattling' type noise I guess, but its not loud. Almost sounds like something is turning around in there quickly. It sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the washer but its hard to say. All I know is that it isn't normal. The sound is in addition to the normal washer sound.

Then I noticed that the agitator is loose. I know there is supposed to be a little slack but I can shake it back and forth pretty good. I think it seems a little slower too. The washer will run through entire cycles but I fear something is going to give soon. Oh yeah and my wife just washed a load of brand new sheets and spots got all over them. Not sure what color because the sheets are a dark brown. My clothes however seem to look OK thankfully. I haven't worked on washers before but I'm willing to give it a shot. I like to fix things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-10, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dose the washer agitate or spin at all? if not and it drains and makes noise you most likely need a drive coupler. To check put washer in spin and open lid, push down on lid switch and see if it spins. let us know what is happening

Old 08-20-10, 10:07 AM
Thanks for responding. The washer does agitate. It just seems to do it slower than usual I think. I opened the lid and pushed down the switch so i could watch it; that's when i noticed the agitator seemed loose. I'm assuming it spins because the loads of clothes have not been soaked when I take them out. It seems to be going through an entire cycle. But I haven't physically verified the operation of the spin cycle, just the agitating. I'm at work now but I will double check when I get home.

Old 09-04-10, 02:08 PM
direct drive kenmore no drain/spin

Kenmore 80 series washer model#110.82980110.
Washer will not drain or spin at end of cycle on and off. I have checked lid switch and it is ok. With machine empty, on spin the motor will hum with switch bypassed. The spin cycle will start to turn if you help the tub and there will be a clunk before the spin takes off. Any ideas what to check?

Old 09-05-10, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tilt washer back to wall and look on inside cabinet, about 6 inches up you might see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase, clutch and drive coupler,Keep us posted

Old 09-05-10, 11:05 AM
Kenmore 80 Series will not spin

Hi, I read thru this forum and searched for my problem and did not see the solution.
I have 80 series Kenmore model number 11023832100. It will not spin after rinse cycle or final spin. Timer keeps going, motor hums as if running, but basket will not be moving. Can temporarily raise the lid and drop and then it engages. I saw earlier to check the lid switch (with in spin cycle and on, reach under switch and push up then hold switch engaged), and it spins fine. Could this still be the switch? When I raise the lid and drop it I hear something engage and then it spins normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-05-10, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
model # need to see which washer you have, Classic lid switch problem

Old 09-05-10, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your reply. I put the model number on the second line of my post; here it is again: Hi, I read thru this forum and searched for my problem and did not see the solution.
I have 80 series Kenmore model number
11023832100. It will not spin after rinse cycle or final spin
Thanks again.

Old 09-05-10, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry about model # read a lot of posts. Tilt washer back against wall and look under it, if you see a streak of oil about 6 inches from floor on inside of cabinet you need a gearcase, clutch and drive block.

Old 09-05-10, 08:24 PM
No worries about the model number. I will check under the washer tomorrow to try to rule out the gearcase, clutch and drive block -- though from the other posters symtoms, this does not sound like my issue. Ever time I raise and lower the lid (when it is supposed to be spinning), it will start to spin the tub. When I tried to test the switch by leaving the lid up, reaching under to hold the switch and then triggering the switch shut, ever time it would engage the tub-- so I was confused if that confirmed my switch as failed or if it was just fine. Maybe it is that when a normal wash cycle starts, something happens in the switch that by the time it hits the spin cycle, it does not register as closed, thus the motor does not engage the tub. Thanks for your input -- have done tons of repairs on cars, but not so much on appliances.

Old 09-06-10, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
you said it hums, dose it hum from low down (motor) or is the timer making noise. If timer and when you put hand under lid switch dose the body of switch push up. Those switches have a problem with splitting.

Old 09-06-10, 07:31 AM
Thanks again for your reply. First, this am I tilted the washer and looked up under it. I checked all 4 walls on the inside, nothing on the inside grease like streaking down (hope that is a good sign ). I did notice that what looks like the water pump is/has been leaking from the pump seal -- right where the shaft is (that couples to the electric motor) there is some black streaking down and the metal strap that clamps the pump together is rusted. Nothing wet today, but maybe that seal can be replaced??
Back to my spin problem: to clarify, not only is the motor humming, but you can hear it actually running, just the tub not spinning. Usually I will hear it get to that stage of the cycle, you can hear the motor running all out but you can tell (by the lack of shaking/vibration) that the tub is not spinning.
I just pushed up on the switch like you asked and it moves and pops back and forth. I think (and hope) that the switch is it.
Thanks again.

Old 09-06-10, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Replace water pump and switch. pump is bad and seal not replaceable. hope something is stuck in pump causing spin problem.

Old 09-09-10, 06:22 PM
Kenmore 80 spins but wont drain

Message deleted because I posted newer one with model number

Last edited by greg123; 09-09-10 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 06:40 PM
Model 110 20802 990
I ran the rinse cycle and it filled water.. ran the agitator and when it came to drain the water and spin, it just made humming noise. I emptied the water using shopvac and then tried spin cycle and all I got is the humming noise.
Washer seems to do everything except for drain and spin.. looked at lid switch thats ok as it makes humming noise when I press it with pen or close the lid
what else could be wrong?

Old 09-09-10, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
only other thing I can think of is something under basket. Have to take basket out to check. Did you try to put it in spin with the pump off the motor? you don't have to take hoses off just pop clips and pull pump off motor and put in spin. If cabinet off you have to jump lid switch. Just reread your post did you replace pump yet? Another thing to try is put washer in spin hold down lid switch and seeif you can help the basket spin with tour hand. If that works you will need a clutch. Usual reason for clutch to go bad is they get oil in it.

Old 09-11-10, 08:01 AM
@ pugsl: thanks for the reply, I will keep an eye on the water pump for more leaks -- bummer can't be resealed . Anyways, my plan is to replace the switch and see if that resolves my spin issue; if not, I will take off the pump and check in there for something clogging it.
Thanks again.

Old 09-19-10, 02:40 PM
No spin cycle?

Hello,

Model: 110.28892790

The spin cycle has stopped working. Drive coupler has been recently replaced.

Fills with water, agitator turns. Tub does not rotate at all during wash cycling.

Drains, but tub does not spin.

Thoughts?

Thanks Much
SDLeary

Old 09-19-10, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by SDLeary View Post
Fills with water, agitator turns. Tub does not rotate at all during wash cycling.
Did it used to?

Drains, but tub does not spin.
Do you hear the motor? - like either a motor running sound or even a hum?, or is it just plain dead silent?

Old 09-19-10, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Did it used to?
It generally turned slightly and then stopped. Much like many washers I've seen out there... nowhere near full rotations.

Do you hear the motor? - like either a motor running sound or even a hum?, or is it just plain dead silent?
Yes, motor running, as is the pump. It is something of a hum sound, but no grinding. Troubleshooting section of the guide says its probably not getting enough electricity, but nothing has changed in that department since the last time I ran it about a week ago.

SDLeary

Old 09-20-10, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
sOUNDS LIKE THE DRIVE COUPLER BROKE AGAIN.

Old 09-20-10, 07:53 PM
Help please

At first the washing machine would click between cycles and would be delayed slightly in changing cycles. Then one day we found it finished but still full of water. We manually selected spin cycle and everything was fine. It happened again after several times of perfectly fine loads. My wife says it seems to happen periodically when she is washing towels on normal settings. One time we found the machine empty of water but the clothes were soaking wet. I would like to order and replace the bad part but want to make sure I do it right the first time, not shoot in the dark by guessing. Does anyone know exactly what I need? My model is 23832100, 80 series (no oil on floor underneath washer by the way)

Old 09-21-10, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor, You may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase upper seal and clutch, Replace drive coupler also while there.

Old 09-25-10, 11:52 AM
spin issue kenmore series 80

model 11092586200

washer will fill & empty but would not spin, so I replaced the motor coupling (which was bad). Upon replacement, put into spin cycle to test and basket spun for a few seconds then stopped. disassembled and re-assembled after checking coupling, which was OK. Now will not spin at all. I hear the hum when I put in onto spin cycle, but no movement. Will still fill. Tried to look underneath to check if anything is moving during test, but not sure where to look- no movement catches my eye. No oil streak on housing cover at all. Ideas?

Old 09-25-10, 12:53 PM
I see spotting of oil on two opposite sides about 6 inches up. If that means I need to replace the gearcase upper seal and clutch do you know part numbers and/or is there a how to video like the one I found on replacing the coupler?

Old 09-25-10, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is a link to your washer.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...200?pathTaken=
Same procedure for gearcase as drive coupler, I don;t know if you took cabinet off or leaned it against the wall.I always lean it back, First you have to take the agitator out and and plastic piece and spring clip off. After you have motor off there are 3 bolts that hold gearcase in.case will drop out. may have to work it up and down a few times to clean crud off shaft.
Google Whrilpool gearcase seal and should come up with many places to buy seal and clutch.
I never take cabinet off to do this job. We just replace gearcase don't rebuild them. much cheaper for DIY to rebuild.

Old 09-27-10, 07:23 PM
one last thing, I cant figure out what part number on the diagram the gearcase upper seal is. After googling it I saw a rubber gasket that I don't see on the link you gave me

Old 09-28-10, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seal is not on that break down that is why I said to Google it. Same seal fits 20 years of gearcases.

Old 09-30-10, 07:42 AM
Unhappy need help, wont drain or spin

I have a Kennmore 80 Series model # 110.26822690 - serial # CF4933376.
this morning i started a med load of laundry, it filled up it agitated fine then it stopped, it will not drain or spin, now i have laundry and water just sitting there. is this an eazy fix or do i need to shoot it? and if its an eazy fix, how in the world do i get all the water out now to fix this thing

Old 09-30-10, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ck your lid switch. Put hand under it and push up on body of switch and depress leverwith a pen or something, Washer should bein spin and on when doing this . If spins than you need a lid switch.

Old 10-06-10, 07:59 PM
OK, I replaced the clutch, coupler and upper seal inside the gearcase. Agitates but when heavy load such as towels they still come out half wet. Tub is without water but you can wring out the towels. What do you suggest now?

Old 10-07-10, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1st be careful when trying this. Put washer in spin, turn on, open lid , hold basket, push lid switch down, basket should pull out of your hand under medium pressure. If you can easily hold basket clutch still has oil in it.

Old 10-07-10, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by cjsax View Post
OK, I replaced the clutch, coupler and upper seal inside the gearcase. Agitates but when heavy load such as towels they still come out half wet. Tub is without water but you can wring out the towels. What do you suggest now?
Does it behave this way when only a few towels? When through spinning (with a few towels), are they pinned against the wall of the basket, as they should be?

Old 10-09-10, 01:48 PM
Is this my answer?: 1st be careful when trying this. Put washer in spin, turn on, open lid , hold basket, push lid switch down, basket should pull out of your hand under medium pressure. If you can easily hold basket clutch still has oil in it.

If so, then what do I do?

Closed Thread