spin problem - Kenmore clothes washer 80 series

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-10, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clutch still has oil on it if you can hold basket. Said so last time. Been checking spin problems like that for years.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-10, 07:45 AM
Just a little confused because I just replaced the clutch with a brand new one. If it does have oil on it than what should I do? My machine is getting worse, falling back into it's old pattern of long times between cycles and several click attempts before actually going into the next cycle. (again, I replaced the clutch, coupler and upper seal) Thanks!!!

Old 10-10-10, 08:28 AM
Yes a few towels are fine, it's big loads that don't dry right

Old 10-10-10, 10:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are they pinning to the basket wall after the spin cycle or not? Maybe you will have to run smaller loads until that oil, if that is the cause, kind of burns itself off?

Old 10-10-10, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have added something, (clicking) Where dose where the clicking come from, Console, low down ???

Old 10-10-10, 08:59 PM
I can easily hold the basket with one hand while holding the lid switch with my other hand. So if my brand new clutch has oil on it does that mean my transmission is bad? Otherwise where is the oil coming from?

In response to where the clicking comes from, clicking comes from the dial on the control panel. It always seems to click normally between cycles but sometimes it clicks many times with a long pause between cycles as it tries to move into the next cycle.

As far as where my laundry ends up after a spin cycle, it sits on the bottom between the basket wall and the agitator, not against the wall of the basket.

Old 10-11-10, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you replace seal on top of gearcase or replace gearcase? Oil comes from gearcase ( leaks out of top and moves up shaft into clutch), Clicking in timer is normal but with extended clicking timer maybe going bad. Would not worry about that until quits turning all together.

Old 10-11-10, 06:40 AM
I opened the gearcase and replaced the seal inside the top of the gearcase. Bottom line is clothes are still coming out too wet at the end of wash. Symptoms are #1 I can hold the basket while spinning, #2 time between cycles is delayed, then it clicks before it turns back on. Sometimes it is delayed, clicks and nothing happens.

Old 10-11-10, 04:02 PM
After re-reading the thread, there sure does to seem to be some issue with the timer not advancing to the next cycle. If the clutch was slipping, as the sole issue, why wouldn't he have mentioned a motor running noise?

Maybe when it does finally start in, the load is already thru part of the spin cycle, not allowing it enough time to wring out.

Old 10-12-10, 07:59 PM
capacitor bad?

Pugsl,

Kenmore 80 series model 110.28803890

Motor is removed and on the floor and all it does is hum. If I spin the shaft it will then run, slowly at first and then to speed. I'm thinking it is the capacitor? Should I replace it?

Also like a dummy before I read the coupler replacement page I unbolted the tranny (3 bolts) and now it won't seat right I can't push it up high enough? Any trick here?

Much thanks!

Old 10-13-10, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a whirlpool, Kenmore less than 4 years old? If it is you most likely need a timer. Have run into this a few times.
There is a plastic tab sticking down from center where shaft goes in.Turn tab to release clutch and push assy up. Make sure spring in clutch is opposite tab when reinstalling gearcase.

Old 10-13-10, 10:25 AM
No it is a 10-15 year old kenmore.

Would do the agatation cycle ok but when it came to the drain/spin stopped.

Old 10-13-10, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a motor problem, Very uncommon problem. Is there a speed switch try turning it with motor on floor in spin and see if motor runs better.

Old 10-13-10, 05:03 PM
The motor reverses, right?, from agitate to drain/spin? If yes, there likely is an issue with those windings involved, and can explain why it agitates okay. Did the motor hum at all when you made it sound in earlier post like machine was caught between cycles and would just sit there?

Old 10-14-10, 08:35 AM
Will play with it a little more tonight. When it changed cycles it just hummed and eventually tripped the breaker (wife told me). Come to think of it every so often the washer would trip the breaker, like once a month or less.

Maybe it is a motor issue? If the cap was bad then it would work in agatate mode. In drain/spin it just humms but if I turn the shaft by hand it will slowly gain speed.

Regardless while I like to keep things running as long as possible at this point if it is the motor or timer etc ie cost > 100 bucks I'm headed for a new one.

Any one know what cu foot size this model is? It says super capasity plus.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-31-10, 08:32 AM
Kenmore 80 series -Heavy Duty Plus. Seems to be going through the cycles normally - fills, spins, drains etc. However, every load unbalances. The clothes are becoming tightly wrapped around the agitator and a few have even gotten caught underneath and are very difficult to dislodge. Help!

Old 11-01-10, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1. CHECK TO SEE IF TOP OF agitator turns both ways should only turn 1 way.
2. Look under washer (tilt bank against wall and check springs 2 around tub and 1 in back from tub to base. tub to base 1 most often breaks. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-07-10, 10:43 AM
Water goes into Drum but that's it!

Hi,

I have a Kenmore Series 80 model #110.25862400. We put a load of clothes in and started the washer. It put water in the drum but does nothing after that. I checked the coupler and lid switch, both are good. I've read through all comments and did not see any oil as listed. Any ideas as to what might be the issue?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-10, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dose the washer hum when you turn it on? Did you put hand under lid switch, push switch up, with washer on in spin pushing down on switch lever? Take cabinet off and wiggle white wire to motor at connection. I jump lid switch and have washer in spin when I do this. White or neutral has a problem with getting loose in connector. Whirlpool repair is new wiring harness but usually you can tighten connection. Keep us posted please

Old 11-07-10, 04:16 PM
The washer does not hum. I put my hand under the lid switch and pushed down the switch with a screw driver as you suggested and the washer works. I removed the rubber washer from the lid pin and now the pin pushes the lid switch down enough for the washer to work.

Thank you so much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-10, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will not work for long you will need to replace switch

Old 11-09-10, 07:17 AM
Kenmore Washer 110.81821100

Similar problems to many posters...
Washer originally wouldnt agitate, but would spin? After checking everything in the world, now it wont spin either. I reached in, and turned the tub (which is hard to do by the way...) in both directions, and it "caught", and agitated, but when it reached spin, it wouldnt spin, unless I turned it like a half turn, wherein it "caught" again and spun through the cycle. I finished that load, and tried it again, and when it reached the agitate cycle, it wouldnt agitate and there was a slight burnt wire smell. At this point, even turning it by hand wouldnt get it going. Tub was full of water, so I waited about 1/2 hr. went back, turned it to spin, gave it a turn, and at least got it to spin to get the water out.
Ive gotten down and looked, and there doesnt "appear" to be any oil coming out of the gearcase, and the motor coupler doesnt appear to be cracked or broken. Is this a dying motor, or possibly a clutch/transmision problem.

Old 11-09-10, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might not see oil on floor, tilt washer back against wall and look about 6 inches from floor in cabinet.You most likely will see a streak of oil, If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler.

Old 11-18-10, 11:16 AM
Angry Kenmore 80 series washer

I woke up this morning with a tub full of water in my washing machine....agitates but does not spin or drain. Model number 110.29812890. Not sure what the problem is. There is still water in the tub and it will not drain. I really do not want to go out and buy a new washer if this is something that somebody thinks can be fixed!?!?! so frustrating!!!

Old 11-18-10, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely lid switch. On top under lid is a slot that is the switch. Put washer in spin and turn on put hand under switch and pull body of switch up. Use a pen or screwdriver and push down on lever thorough slot while holding switch. If spins now switch is bad.

Old 11-19-10, 05:46 PM
Is there a way to by pass the switch until the new one comes in?

Old 11-20-10, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You would have to jump two wires, not sure of colors buy the two not colored green.

Old 12-03-10, 06:18 AM
Question 80 Series Model 110.23832100 (Spin Cycle Issues)

Here is a synopsis of my problem:

-This model is supposed to spin twice after the "Ultra Clean" wash. When working properly, it seems to extracts the wash water first by spinning then stopping. It starts again during that same cycle, but this time sprays clean water over the spinning basket. At some point, the water spray ceases and the basket continues to spin up and until the rinse cycle.

-After the wash cycle, the washer would (sometimes) make the sound that it was spinning, but I noticed that only the water was draining while the basket remained still. If I opened the lid to investigate during the cycle, the basket would begin to spin when I closed it. (It had to be the lid switch...?)

-During the second portion of that spin cycle, I would often hear a "klunk" followed by the ticking sound of the timer, but nothing would happen. Again, when I went to the machine, opening and closing it would usually start the cycle. As time progressed, that condition worsened to where it would not start at all on occasion.

-I pulled the motor and checked the couplers...still in good shape. (replaced once since I've owned the machine)

-I don't see the "streak of oil" as described by others on this board. Maybe I don't now exactly what to look for...

-I jumped (dk brown/lt brown) the lid switch and ran through a couple of cycles and on the third try, I was able to replicate the motor sound but no movement of the basket issue. I pushed the timer knob in then pulled back out and the basket engaged and began to spin, as it was designed to do.

-On replication of the issue, the clutch did not spin; however, when I restarted the machine, the clutch did spin.

I'm thinking clutch or gearbox issues, but I am unsure what to look for here. Looking for some help in that area. Pictures and/or video would be helpful.

Last edited by wjo9522; 12-03-10 at 08:59 AM. Reason: More troubleshooting results...
Old 12-03-10, 06:25 AM
I am having the same issue/same model...the coupler looks good though. What did you find out?

Old 12-03-10, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by wjo9522 View Post

Here is a synopsis of my problem:

-This model is supposed to spin twice after the "Ultra Clean" wash. When working properly, it seems to extracts the wash water first by spinning then stopping. It starts again during that same cycle, but this time sprays clean water over the spinning basket. At some point, the water spray ceases and the basket continues to spin up and until the rinse cycle.

-After the wash cycle, the washer would (sometimes) make the sound that it was spinning, but I noticed that only the water was draining while the basket remained still. If I opened the lid to investigate during the cycle, the basket would begin to spin when I closed it. (It had to be the lid switch...?)

-During the second portion of that spin cycle, I would often hear a "klunk" followed by the ticking sound of the timer, but nothing would happen. Again, when I went to the machine, opening and closing it would usually start the cycle. As time progressed, that condition worsened to where it would not start at all on occasion.

-I pulled the motor and checked the couplers...still in good shape. (replaced once since I've owned the machine)

-I don't see the "streak of oil" as described by others on this board. Maybe I don't now exactly what to look for...

-I jumped (dk brown/lt brown) the lid switch and ran through a couple of cycles and on the third try, I was able to replicate the motor sound but no movement of the basket issue. I pushed the timer knob in then pulled back out and the basket engaged and began to spin, as it was designed to do.

-On replication of the issue, the clutch did not spin; however, when I restarted the machine, the clutch did spin.

I'm thinking clutch or gearbox issues, but I am unsure what to look for here. Looking for some help in that area. Pictures and/or video would be helpful.

I found another great blog at I have a kenmore 80 series washer machine and I found that after... that addresses this very problem. the Neutral Drain Assembly seems to be my problem.

Based on the advice, I reviewed at the Job Aid located at https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/f7e2147fa98b28cf85257122007475cb/$FILE/L-55.pdf. It makes perfect sense as to wy my machine drains before it starts spinning--that's by design. However, it should start spinning again, which it does not. I'm going to replace the inexpensive parts in the Neutral Drain Assembly and see if that does the trick.

I'm still not sure if this would cause the clutch not to spin or not, but I'll be sure to post here with results.

Old 12-04-10, 03:09 AM
I have a kenmore 80 110.20892990 (about 12 yrs old). I called appliance store after trying to diagnose pb myself. Washer fills, drains and agitates but does not spin. Made a loud screaching noise when discovered no spinning action. Lid switch works. Took machine apart and coupler at motor looks good to me. But, black "soot" in motor, on coupler and on motor plate. What does this mean? The appliance repairman told me over the phone that it sounded like the clutch and not work fixing. My washer looks brand new!! I hate to just chuck it! Please help!!

Old 12-04-10, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler

Old 12-12-10, 02:12 PM
Off balance

My Kenmore series 80 washer went off balance. It stopped by itself before I had a chance to open the lid. I moved the clothes and closed the lid and the spin cycle didnt restart. I moved the selector switch to a new cycle and the washer filled and ran through the wash cycle. When it gets to the rinse cycle it just stops doing anything. It will not drain nor will it spin. Like I mentioned before this is all after the washer went off balance during the spin cycle where it was working just fine before hand. Please advise. ty

Old 12-13-10, 03:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the lid switch, hold hand under switch and push down lever while in spin.

Old 04-17-11, 03:04 PM
washer won't spin, changed the lid switch

Hi, our kenmore washer doesn't always spin, but does drain. If i put it into the spin cycle again and/or lift the lid and put it back down, it does spin. We originally thought it was the lid switch, since the problem was intermittent, but we replaced it and it didn't fix the issue. During the replacement, we saw there was a greasy (or oily) yellow substance on the floor, and reading some of the previous posts, wondered if this may be the cause of the problem. What do you think? Thanks so much!

Old 04-18-11, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lean washer back against wall and look under it. about 6 inches from floor there will be a streak of oil. If there you need a top gearcase seal, clutch and drive coupler.

Old 04-29-11, 08:28 PM
My model number is 110.23812100

My washer has stopped spinning. It just hums during that part of the cycle. I can get it to work if I place it on heavy duty and start the spin manually. This is getting old.

Washer also stops when the tub is full of water. I have had to decrease the amount of soap to about a teaspoon per load!

I can have the coupler replaced, but what do I do about the washer stalling?

Old 04-30-11, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tilt washer back against wall and look under it. About 6nches up around cabinet see if there is a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler

Old 05-05-11, 04:48 AM
The Kenmore 80 washer fills and washes but when it gets to rinse cycle it sounds as if it wants to go but nothing happens. It just makes a humming sound and stops. I tried to turn the motor on by turning the dial back on the spin cycle and starting it....the motor hums again, tries to spin slowly sometimes; hums, doesn't spin at all; hums, starts spinning slowly and then something inside the motor catches and it spins normally. The motor gets very hot during the times that it fails to spin normally. Also, if by chance, after I wait several hours it starts to spin again. It took me several hours to get one load to drain and at least spin. Is it the coupler? I need help, please!!

Old 05-05-11, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the post before yours. most likely oil leak in clutch

Closed Thread