spin problem - Kenmore clothes washer 80 series

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-11, 06:21 AM
Kenmore 80 series washer won't spin. Does fill and drain.

Having an issue with my Kenmore 80 series washer. The drum will not spin.

It does fill with water and drain.
The motor runs.
I can hear it sound like its spinning underneath, making the same sounds as normal when I lift the lid to stop the washer, however, it still does not spin.

It is not the coupler. I replaced it in the past and I checked it.
It is not the lid switch. Checked that as well.

I think I am down to the clutch, the transmision or something with the drum, like the drum drive.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler

Old 05-31-11, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the help!

I HAD a spin problem with my washing machine not spinning and a Google-Search landed me on this site. Just wanted to thank the people that take the time to share information and help others out. Replacing the coupler fixed my problem and saved me some cash!

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 05-31-11, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to know we could help

Old 05-31-11, 10:16 PM
Kenmore 80 series 110.20802.990 Not Spinning

What a great site and what great suggestions!

My washer will agitate, pumps fine and drains water fine but when it comes to spin cycle it makes a clicking sound and the tub doesn't turn.

I have checked the motor coupler and it looks good.

Lid switch works fine every time I close it and when I hold it down.

I checked for oil about six inches up inside the cabinate and there isn't any present.

I'm thinking possible bad Gear Case. The reason I say that is because I can turn the water pump just fine, I can turn the motor fine too but when I try to turn the motor attached to the transmission it only turns counter clockwise. When I try to go clockwise it gets stuck. I can then go counter clockwise again and it'll turn but when I go clockwise it only turns the amount I went counter clockwise before getting stuck again. I haven't heard this mentioned before so thought I would in case anybody has experienced this.

Any suggestions of what else it can be or should I bite the bullet and buy the Gear Case and replace the coupler while I'm at it?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-11, 03:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still sounds like lid switch ck this way or jump wires
Most likely lid switch. On top under lid is a slot that is the switch. Put washer in spin and turn on put hand under switch and pull body of switch up. Use a pen or screwdriver and push down on lever thorough slot while holding switch. If spins now switch is bad.
Gearcase sounds normal you are turning basket that's why it's hard to turn

Old 06-08-11, 10:34 AM
Exclamation Kenmore 80 Series, Model 23832100 - Grinding

My washer fills, drains, and spins just fine. The problem is with the agitation.

Currently the washer still works, but it grinds during the agitation. I can see that the top of the agitator does not make uniform degrees of rotation when it grinds while agitating. Yes, it currently still will function somewhat, but if it gets any worse it will not agitate at all.

If it helps, I know that this started after my wife did a load of towels and left a towel over the top of the agitator during the wash, the heavy wet towel held the shaft still while the gears struggled to rotate it and apparently stripped.

I read through the thread, but everyone else with a grinding problem seems to also have a spin cycle problem. Whereas my problem lies solely with the agitation. Can anyone help with with what part(s) I may need and maybe point me to a DIY walk-through? Thank you!

Old 06-08-11, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Far too many individual questions and answers. Please start a new thread if you found this through an Internet search. Thread closed...

Closed Thread