Top rack of dishwasher always dirty

Old 09-04-06, 04:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Top rack of dishwasher always dirty

Have a KENMORE ELITE,mode 665,serial #15954000.About 7-10 years old. The last few months the top rack of dishes always come out with food particles on them and they have to be hand washed. Any ideas

Old 09-04-06, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your pump may be clogged... there is a part called the chopper that trys to grind up soft food it is most likely clogger and /or broken....

Old 09-04-06, 05:41 PM
W
Make sure the "water arm" does not have clogged openings that are preventing the water from spraying on the dishes. Also, make sure the arm is able to spin freely. Good luck.

Old 09-06-06, 03:55 AM
B
Top rack swings easy and not clogged. Could the fill valve be clogged.Does it have a screen on the inlet.I always have to clean the screen on the different facuets I have.

Old 09-06-06, 05:23 PM
D
Dishwasher

If the inlet valve is blocked you should notice the dishwasher is not as full of water as usual. If thats the case, some valves have a screen you can clean. Others can be removed & taken apart to clean. If you have a calcium problem I've seen the inside of the valves built-up with the calcium & had to scrape the stuff out to get valve working right again. Dave

Old 09-06-06, 07:33 PM
B
No this isnt a calcium build up.I have a A O SMITH water heater and the white particles come the water heater.I have had this problem ever since the w/h was a few years old.To make the w/h high efficient they used a plastic pcv tube to push the cold water to the bottom of the W/H. I had replaced this tube once before but am going to replace the W/H soon. I have to clean the facuets strainers a few times a year,they get really clogged. So I guess I will see if I can find the fill vale. How do you know if there is enough water getting into the dishwasher(if filler value is clogged).

Old 09-10-06, 12:34 PM
G
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BOB1934
Have a KENMORE ELITE,mode 665,serial #15954000.About 7-10 years old. The last few months the top rack of dishes always come out with food particles on them and they have to be hand washed. Any ideas
I have basically the same model and two months ago I had the same problem. I removed the filter and cleaned what I could find but it did not help. I had a repairman out and he took the filter out and the cover to the chopper. The chopper screen was clogged. I cleaned the screen and he put it back together and all seemed fine. A month later it was clogged again. I cleaned it and inspected the chopper assembly, found the prongs that engaged the motor were worn, so I replaced the chopper assembly ($13.00). Today I took it apart and cleaned and inspected it again, because the top rack dishes were dirty again. Your problem is definitely the chopper screen, but I don't know why, I rinse my dishes and it still does it, I must be missing something.

To remove the Chopper assembly, remove the bottom rack and spray arm. Hold up the clip to the top spray arm pipe and twist the base pipe clockwise and remove. Remove the screw that secures the bottom spray arm (watch the nylon washer) and set aside.

Close the door and press the quick rinse and start. as soon as it fills and starts to rinse, press cancel and let it cycle, this removes all standing water in the pump

Remove the four screws that hold the filter in place and remove the screen.

Remove the two screws in the sump and remove the flat piece of plastic, it has a screw, large hole and three slots. then remove the chopper cover by lifting the cover at the screw hole side, this will expose the chopper assembly.

To remove the chopper assembly, grasp the screen and wiggle it gently and the chopper and screen will come right out.

Clean it good and put everything back in reverse order. The dishwasher will work great, no guarantees on how long, mine still clogs even with the new Chopper. If you find the answer let me know.

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: